• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Do you think it's better to change your oil while the car is still hot or are you better off letting the car sit for a day?

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
Maybe it doesn't matter being the oil filters have anti drain back valves. I was just curious what you guys recommend if anything. My car has been sitting for a couple days due to bad weather.
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Hot is better because the partials may still be suspended in the oil. Also the oil will flow out of the engine better. Does it really make all that much difference? Probably not.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
I always drain after car has been driven up to temp. Makes for easier drains.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I always warm mine up a little to thin the oil and I like knowing I have oil on the internals of the engine for that dry filter start. Mostly it's just my personal preference and makes me feel better about that 3-5 seconds that it takes the oil to get to the bearings, etc.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I always warm mine up a little to thin the oil and I like knowing I have oil on the internals of the engine for that dry filter start. Mostly it's just my personal preference and makes me feel better about that 3-5 seconds that it takes the oil to get to the bearings, etc.
In this vein.

warm oil flows easier than cold oil. In my experience oil filters usually break free easier once warmed, although I will admit I haven’t experienced the joy with ours yet.

Thoughts on prefilling the filter?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I feel it drains more completely when at a warm temperature. The oil flows better. Any particles suspended in the oil are more likely to make the move and join the rest of the flow.

The S550 filter goes in at a 45-degree angle. While I couldn't completely pre-fill it, I got it about half full, priming it. I poured some in, waited for that to settle, put some more in, then put the filter on.

Any of the points we're discussing are steps towards goodness. You can't prove in makes things better, but it seems to make sense. And doesn't hurt anything.

Last edited:

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I also prefill the filter, but I've been told it doesn't make a difference by a Ford technician. I have also been told not to lube the gasket either as it can cause the filter to back off of the newer engines. Two things I've done since I got my first car at 17. Hard habits to break.

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Fine particles probably take days to settle so i'm guessing it's more about flow.

Hot is better if you want to get it done quick as it will drain easier
I also prefill the filter, but I've been told it doesn't make a difference by a Ford technician. I have also been told not to lube the gasket either as it can cause the filter to back off of the newer engines. Two things I've done since I got my first car at 17. Hard habits to break.
Not lubing the gasket sounds like a bonehead thing to do. Properly torqued things don't loosen.
I would be worried that turning that thing dry would potentially warp the rubber gasket.

Like you, i'll keep lubing it!

Rdw401

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Warm is best as it thins the oil and it flows better and faster.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
I have never prefilled a filter. But i always lube the gasket

LCDRChemEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BE DH Premium A10
Hot oil flows faster, but getting scalded by hot oil - not fun. I'm getting a Valvomax or similar plug that allows draining through a little hose to avoid this issue.

I've always lubed the filter gasket, nothing worse than an old filter that just...wont...budge!

Never heard about pre-filling the filter though. Are we sure refilling the oil reservoir will not refill the filter also prior to starting the engine?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Never heard about pre-filling the filter though. Are we sure refilling the oil reservoir will not refill the filter also prior to starting the engine?
Something comforting about watching it absorb into the filter…

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
Maybe it doesn't matter being the oil filters have anti drain back valves. I was just curious what you guys recommend if anything. My car has been sitting for a couple days due to bad weather.
My hubby always drives the car first before he changes oil
Sponsored