• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

First oil change -- what mileage are you doing it at?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Did my initial at about 1200 miles, 1900 kms. Replaced with 5W30, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP).

Skye won't be seeing a lot of miles. I'll be changing once a year. I rely on the Ford Intelligent Oil Life Monitor.

Some break-in and engine oil analysis insight.

I've had zero issues of any kind. No oil burning. No ticking. No change in power or behavior.

For those interested in oil analysis, most people use Blackstone. You can receive an analysis kit for free and set that aside for the first oil change. Once you have a sample, you can pay over the Internet for a lab and send the sample in. In two weeks or so, you'll get the results.

I did an initial, for confidence things were well. All results were nominal. I'll be doing another this season.

Regarding the viscosity statement in the analysis below, I believe this is a tell that the factory fill is not off-the-shelf, that there are additives, to assist with break-in. Many have commented previously, in multiple forums, Ford uses XL-17 or something of the sort. While I do not have insight into the factory fill, I do feel something is complimenting the "regular" oil we buy in the store.

Regarding the high levels of copper on new engines, many Ford owners have reported same. It's a common characteristic.

Explaining Higher-Than-Expected Copper (Only) In Oil Sample

https://stratson.eu/high-copper-levels-used-oil-analysis/

"Copper is a soft malleable metal that is used in a wide variety of applications. It is non-abrasive and helps prevent wear. The appearance of Copper in a used oil analysis should not be cause for alarm or repair unless other abrasive wear metal such as iron, aluminum, chromium, etc. are present at higher than normal levels. There are several possible sources for high Copper levels. Leaching as mentioned before from oil coolers, leaks from cooling systems, external contaminates, an oil additive, or from excessive wear. In all of these cases, other metals, materials and contaminates will be present."

skye oil analysis.jpg
Why the choice for pup instead of ford branded?
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Selecting oil brands and types can lead to some animated discussions, much of which is backed by anecdotal information.

When considering oil brands, virtually everyone with a Coyote had a positive comment about PUP. Is it superior? IDK. The product is designed towards performance engines and driving. Owner comments give me confidence. It was a personal preference, a brand preference.

Is the factory oil good? Yes, as millions of owners can attest. Many owners, still with factory warranty, will only use Ford branded products. Nothing wrong with that.

If selecting the Ford oil, I would pay up for their synthetic. I do believe in the benefits of synthetics.

Along with Ford and PUP, there are a lot of great oils out there. My general recommendation to anyone is to 1) find something that meets the factory specifications and use it consistently (not changing oil brands to the flavor of the month), 2) use synthetics if at all possible, 3) follow the factory maintenance schedule.

Regarding my comment of changing oil brands often, there's like 1/2 quart, 1/2 liter of oil, if not more, that remains in the galleys, coolers and connections at every oil change. If changing oil brands often, I just don't care for that. Find a brand/type that you like which meets factory specs and continue to use it.

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Selecting oil brands and types can lead to some animated discussions, much of which is backed by anecdotal information.
Had to smile when reading this part. So very true. Thanks. Now back to reading the rest …..

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
Tons of manufacturers say you're safe to go 10,000-15,000 with synthetic oil changes nowadays. I can't bring myself to go that far, I don't care what the manufacturer says.
I'm with you. I had a Mercedes a number of years ago and the recommended oil change was 10,000 miles if my memory serves me correct. It didn't have a dipstick either, which drove me nuts.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
…didn't have a dipstick either, which drove me nuts.
Didn’t have one because the owners were assumed to be one. …. Sorry, j/k

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
Didn’t have one because the owners were assumed to be one. …. Sorry, j/k
:like: I didn't keep it very long. I felt out of place when I took it in for service. Too many women carrying poodles and guys in suits carrying briefcases. Not my style.

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT - 2018 Dodge Ram 1500.
Tons of manufacturers say you're safe to go 10,000-15,000 with synthetic oil changes nowadays. I can't bring myself to go that far, I don't care what the manufacturer says.
Agree. It’s all about piece of mind knowing you done the best for your high performance engine.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
How many miles are you all planning on going until your first oil change.
I have always done the first one at 800-1000 miles. The dealer said 5000. While I plan on changing it every 3000 going forward, I was just wondering if anyone else plans on doing the first one sooner than what's recommended?

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
How many miles are you all planning on going until your first oil change.
I have always done the first one at 800-1000 miles. The dealer said 5000. While I plan on changing it every 3000 going forward, I was just wondering if anyone else plans on doing the first one sooner than what's recommended?
I usually change oul on the first 1000 miles and after that 3000 miles! First 1000 would be easy miles and after that little rougher 3000 miles and so forth!

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:like: I didn't keep it very long. I felt out of place when I took it in for service. Too many women carrying poodles and guys in suits carrying briefcases. Not my style.
Ah, yeah, understood. at times that little jingle runs through my head in those scenarios. upper crust high society… ballroom notoriety….

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Interesting article and good info to learn from it! Thanks for the great info, I’m intrigued by it! Might as well experiment some oils from time to time!

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
If I would change oil every 3000 miles, I would have to change oil every 2 months lol.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Agree. It’s all about piece of mind knowing you done the best for your high performance engine.
In fact, I uses Mobil synthetic oil on my 2003 Cobra and have no qualms about it !

papaD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Power Wagon 2016 Challenger 392 shaker
Ah, yeah, understood. at times that little jingle runs through my head in those scenarios. upper crust high society… ballroom notoriety….
But we've got the biggest balls of them all!
Sponsored