• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

First oil change -- what mileage are you doing it at?

BLUEZL600EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Covertible
How many miles are you all planning on going until your first oil change.
I have always done the first one at 800-1000 miles. The dealer said 5000. While I plan on changing it every 3000 going forward, I was just wondering if anyone else plans on doing the first one sooner than what's recommended?
Sponsored

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
I have always done the first one at 800-1000 miles. The dealer said 5000. While I plan on changing it every 3000 going forward, I was just wondering if anyone else plans on doing the first one sooner than what's recommended?
I'll do mine at the 1,000 mile mark. I'm with you. 3,000 miles after that. Frequent oil changes are cheap insurance to me. I know I'm old fashioned, but 5,000 seems a bit too much for a high performance motor.

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT - 2018 Dodge Ram 1500.
Wondering if odometer in Canadian buiilt are kilometers? Stupidity metric system!

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Ditto. 1000 miles after break in, then every 6 months with full synthetic. I won't drive over 3000 miles in that time frame.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
There isn't really a good reason to do it before the car says so. They used to use non detergent oils to aid in ring seating but now they just use standard oil. The filter will catch any metal particles so the oil will remain good until the additives weaken with age.
If you're going to push the engine hard, there is a warning about that in the owners manual and you should follow those guidelines.

rhstang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium Mustang GT (50 Anniversary Package)
Interesting It says these cars have an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor. I don't recall reading this on my s650 manual

Your vehicle has an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor that determines when you should change the engine oil based on how you use your vehicle. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduces environmental waste at the same time.

This means you do not have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule. Your vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying a message in the information display.

S650 Mustang First oil change -- what mileage are you doing it at? 1693331498416

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s
Interesting It says these cars have an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor. I don't recall reading this on my s650 manual

Your vehicle has an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor that determines when you should change the engine oil based on how you use your vehicle. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduces environmental waste at the same time.

This means you do not have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule. Your vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying a message in the information display.

1693331498416.png
Exactly. My wifes 22' Expedition puts a message on the dash and sends a text when it is at 20% (I think) oil life left.

Apeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Factory 260 V8 3sp, Caspian Blue
I'll do mine at the 1,000 mile mark. I'm with you. 3,000 miles after that. Frequent oil changes are cheap insurance to me. I know I'm old fashioned, but 5,000 seems a bit too much for a high performance motor.
Tons of manufacturers say you're safe to go 10,000-15,000 with synthetic oil changes nowadays. I can't bring myself to go that far, I don't care what the manufacturer says.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Mine are free at my dealer for two years so, 1k for the first and 3k/6 months after.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Just let the car tell you when it’s time. It’s snake oil to replace it every 3k miles. I promise the millions of dollars in engineering that goes into these engines and cars, they know what they’re doing : )

Arno_ecobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BMW M135i Xdrive
Tons of manufacturers say you're safe to go 10,000-15,000 with synthetic oil changes nowadays. I can't bring myself to go that far, I don't care what the manufacturer says.
check it yourself next time. I said that to my BMW dealer who wanted me to go to 22 000kms! so they showed me the oil with inspection at 12000 and it looked like 'old school oil' when it had 1000km on it. it wasn't even black and hardly any oxidation. but anyway...
I still felt uneasy going 22 000kms. so i didn't,happy to stick to the 12-15000km mark haha

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Did my initial at about 1200 miles, 1900 kms. Replaced with 5W30, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP).

Skye won't be seeing a lot of miles. I'll be changing once a year. I rely on the Ford Intelligent Oil Life Monitor.

As others have commented, the Oil Life Monitor relies on multiple factors to advise you when to change. One of those factors is time. No matter how little you drive, the Monitor will tick down to 0% in one year. At a minimum, the factory timer counts down 1.92% a week and expires at one year. At the other extreme, people who consistently track, go to the strip, or see severe duty more often, the monitor could countdown at a faster rate.

Some break-in and engine oil analysis insight.

I've had zero issues of any kind. No oil burning. No ticking. No change in power or behavior.

For those interested in oil analysis, most people use Blackstone. You can receive an analysis kit for free and set that aside for the first oil change. Once you have a sample, you can pay over the Internet for a lab and send the sample in. In two weeks or so, you'll get the results.

I did an initial, for confidence things were well. All results were nominal. I'll be doing another this season.

Regarding the viscosity statement in the analysis below, I believe this is a tell that the factory fill is not off-the-shelf, that there are additives to assist with break-in. Many have commented previously, Ford uses XL-17 or something of the sort. While I do not have insight into the factory fill, I do feel something is complimenting the "regular" oil we buy in the store.

Regarding the high levels of copper on new engines, many Ford owners have reported same. It's a common characteristic.

Explaining Higher-Than-Expected Copper (Only) In Oil Sample

https://stratson.eu/high-copper-levels-used-oil-analysis/

"Copper is a soft malleable metal that is used in a wide variety of applications. It is non-abrasive and helps prevent wear. The appearance of Copper in a used oil analysis should not be cause for alarm or repair unless other abrasive wear metal such as iron, aluminum, chromium, etc. are present at higher than normal levels. There are several possible sources for high Copper levels. Leaching as mentioned before from oil coolers, leaks from cooling systems, external contaminates, an oil additive, or from excessive wear. In all of these cases, other metals, materials and contaminates will be present."

S650 Mustang First oil change -- what mileage are you doing it at? skye oil analysis
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited: