• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Do you guys recommend letting the engine idle down before driving off?

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
I've always done this. I don't ever warm my cars up by letting them just idle for a long time but I have always let them idle down on their own terms before taking off and kept revs pretty low until the engine is at operating temperature. Do you think there is any benefit to at least let the engine idle down or do you think it's better to just cold start it and immediately start driving before it idles down?
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Give it about 30 seconds to a minute. You need time for the oil pressure to come up and for the oil to get sprayed around the engine. You can use the time to check your seat belt, adjust the climate control and entertainment.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Depends. Fresh shutdown nah, grab and go. Been sitting 30 mins or more yeah let her at least find her rhythm.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
@ThreePedalPlow I do exactly what you do. I don't think it hurts anything at all. I like knowing that all the parts are well lubricated.
Sponsored