• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Check engine light after installing K&N air filter and removing carbon traps.

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
Not sure if it would cause issues or not but the bigger open section I labeled as 1 in this air guide insert in the intake tract is supposed to be in-line with the MAF as shown below. At least that is the way it was installed from the factory on mine. If you aren't paying close attention, it would be easy to reinstall it the opposite direction.

S650 Mustang Check engine light after installing K&N air filter and removing carbon traps. 1714183929506-r8
Sponsored

Stang24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang
Looks like I won’t be getting k&n filters then. May go with the AFE dry flow or I know injen has some good dry flow as well

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
to be in-line with the MAF as shown below.
This was something to pay attention to in the S550.

The insert was shaped differently and could only go in one way, but complete removal caused fuel trims to adjust towards their maximum. While it did produce the most power and would not throw a wrench light, there was no adjustment left.

Removal of the carbon trap, while leaving the insert as installed by the factory, produced optimum results.

Last edited:

Wiley Marmot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Prem
IMG_0289.jpeg

Or just leave it stock since you're not gaining anything

Thanks for posting that. $50/HP..................................Hhhhhhhhmmmmmm??????

Think I'd rather put the $150 towards a 93 O or E85 dyno tune @ Livernois Motorsports in Deerborn Heights. :sunglasses:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
$50/HP..................................Hhhhhhhhmmmmmm??????
It's a valid concern. For the HP gained, sure, there are more cost-effective means, if not forgoing altogether.

I looked at it like this: the Ford Performance, Air Raid filter is made with a cotton gauze, does not need oil and is washable. If keeping the car long-term, buying the filter seemed worthwhile. I don't see purchasing another filter for the life of the car. If any extra HP is gained, so much the better.

If the car won't be kept more than one or two filter changes, it's probably best to remove the trap, while sticking with the stock filter.

YMMV.
Sponsored