• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It doesn’t change the fact the DH is 400 pounds heavier than it should be. And I’m sorry but the tweaks to the engine for a measly 14hp cannot overcome its heft. The suspension is wasting half its energy trying to keep that pig in contact with the road.
I agree that the car is too heavy, but with the platform being the same, I didn’t really expect any weight loss. What I don’t understand is how the car weighs so much more than a Mach 1 when it’s essentially the same car. If you go by Car and Driver’s weight measurements, the DH weighs anywhere from 130-200 lbs more than the Mach 1 (the two articles I looked at had different weights listed; the heavier car was an automatic).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes, probably the Mach 1 tires are better, I guess. Or they are roughly equivalent and since the DH is heavier, it doesn't corner as well.

As to the DH gaining weight, I don't think Ford has ever made light weight much of a priority. With the GT350, they did get it down to 3,760 even with the coolers and huge brakes, but since then, everything is continuing to get heavier with the Mach being 3,844 and the DH 4,024.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Yes, probably the Mach 1 tires are better, I guess. Or they are roughly equivalent and since the DH is heavier, it doesn't corner as well.

As to the DH gaining weight, I don't think Ford has ever made light weight much of a priority. With the GT350, they did get it down to 3,760 even with the coolers and huge brakes, but since then, everything is continuing to get heavier with the Mach being 3,844 and the DH 4,024.
it’s crazy because when I drive a GT500 I can definitely feel the difference in weight … you wouldn’t think 300 pounds would be that big on a 4000 pound car

That and the GT500 is much smoother …
I really need to drive a Dark Horse

Jivor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT
More safety equipment, more electronic modules, more frame reinforcements, you name it; the cars get heavier, and until composite superstructures become cheaper to build, every new model tips the scale further over. Mass market cars are not going to significantly supersede their predecessors in track performance, save better brakes, tires, and horsepower. I think any government investments into making cars more fuel efficient would be wisely invested in helping composite technology enter mass production over their aluminum and steel analogs; unfortunately the recyclability of composites is problematic versus metal.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
How much did that lucid weight?

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
My take is that yes Ford has continued producing the V8 which is the bottom line here but they aren't investing any huge amount of money to replacing a chassis. Therefore, to make things better, you just add cheese. I also think a big part of the new generation is just the interior, which IMO is incredible. I normally could careless about a car's interior once the engine starts but I do like the techy screens with the DH. Think about it, how much money would it take to make a car even 5% better than a GT350 considering the voodoo is discontinued.

RBGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 GT Premium, 6 spd
I think that was the auto DH.
I believe the auto is 110lbs heavier than the 6speed.

Darkness24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt Ordered 2024 Dark Horse Premium
I think that was the auto DH.
I believe the auto is 110lbs heavier than the 6speed.
It was an auto DH. Some are saying that the DH gained 3 or 4 hundred lbs. But if the Mach 1 6speed weighs 3866 vs DH auto 4024 the difference is 158 not 3-400. Now I don't know if the auto weighs 110 lbs more but if it does that would be a difference of 48lbs if the DH is a 6speed. I posted this before FORD has stated the DH outperforms the Mach 1 on the track why-how ask them it's what they have said. Besides the Fusion-Mustang never did it for me in the looks department. Some have also said that the DH is so expensive I looked at a Mach 1 at my dealer that was 64,000 & change. HMMMMMM? Waited & bought the DH 66.000 & change.

V10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Viper, '21 M2 Competition, '22 S1000RR
It was an auto DH. Some are saying that the DH gained 3 or 4 hundred lbs. But if the Mach 1 6speed weighs 3866 vs DH auto 4024 the difference is 158 not 3-400. Now I don't know if the auto weighs 110 lbs more but if it does that would be a difference of 48lbs if the DH is a 6speed. I posted this before FORD has stated the DH outperforms the Mach 1 on the track why-how ask them it's what they have said. Besides the Fusion-Mustang never did it for me in the looks department. Some have also said that the DH is so expensive I looked at a Mach 1 at my dealer that was 64,000 & change. HMMMMMM? Waited & bought the DH 66.000 & change.
It has a major tire advantage. The trofeo RS > Michelin Cup 2. The equivalent Michelin tire would be the Cup 2 R.

Put the Trofeo RS tires in the Mach 1 it will be at least 1 second quicker. Ford put like the best tire that they've ever put on a mustang to hide the heft. 4024lbs is nuts considering this is the same size as the s550 and the car is still NA. LOL

Darkness24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt Ordered 2024 Dark Horse Premium
I know that you know there are many variables that come into play at the track not just tires. 1 sec faster however sounds like conjecture at this point to me. The extra weight which is NOT much more than the s550 could easily be the extra intake & the active exhaust. If they are compared both completely stock same transmission-day-tires-track-driver please let me know. I'll keep an eye out & see if anyone does this comparison. Something it seems many would like to see.:beer:

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
IMO the DH auto will be the slowest variant on the track and the DH Manual carbon wheels will be the fastest. Especially with the Tremec no lift shift and rev match.

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
IMO the DH auto will be the slowest variant on the track and the DH Manual carbon wheels will be the fastest. Especially with the Tremec no lift shift and rev match.
The auto tranny was also having heat issues. Which is a concern to watch for sure.

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I keep saying, instead of the 10R80, Ford should be using the ZF 8 speed auto.

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
I keep saying, instead of the 10R80, Ford should be using the ZF 8 speed auto.
Or take the Tremec DCT from the GT 500. Mustangs (especially DH) are in the price range of cars with DCTs now. I think the A10 Transmission is good but a track focused car with an auto would be better with a DCT