• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
So according to Car and Driver GT350R

1/4 mile - 12.0@120
0-60 3.8
(Mach 1 is 4.3 to 60 and 12.6 in 1/4 mile/ same MPH as Dark Horse)

But braking- 350R is 301 feet from 100 to 0
so Dark Horse posted better braking distance
(Mach 1 286)

Road Holding GT350R 1.11 vs 1.07 for Dark Horse
Mach 1 - 1.05

gt350R weight = 3717 so 250 pounds lighter
Mach 1 is 3844 so 130 pounds lighter

So slight improvement over Mach 1

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
2024 Mustang GT for comparison:

S650 Mustang Tested Performance Numbers: 2024 Mustang Dark Horse (by Car and Driver) 1693340198845

Reactions: Zig

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
OK see this is what drives me crazy - from both Car and Driver articles

Dark Horse
Similarly, while tire grip is ever-present, the steering lacks crucial communication when turning in or adjusting midcorner. While the wheel is direct and accurate to the direction it's pointed, it tells you little about the front tires' behavior

GT350
On the streets, the revised steering rack speaks loud and clear through the fuzzy steering wheel, communicating what the chassis wants. And what it wants, always, is more action.

Ford- you know how to do steering correctly- why would you not put the GT350 steering set up in the Dark Horse..drives me crazy

If something should ever happen to my car- I would seriously consider the Dark Horse- if they fix the freaking steering

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Premium 5M, Black on Black.
Last edited:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Those are some pretty dang sandbagged numbers.

these guys aren’t pushing the Mustang just going through the paces it appears.

not new though. Gotta wonder where the lack of enthusiasm comes from.

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
The good news is that both the GT ( 23.5 seconds ) and the Dark Horse ( 23.3 seconds ) do the 0-150 MPH test over 2 seconds faster than a 1LE which takes 25.6 seconds to do the deed. Isn't that like 20 car lengths or something lolllllllllllll

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
So hold up....the Dark Horse and GT have nearly identical drag strip times and speeds? Makes me glad I saved $10k buying the GT instead of DH. I'm sure a road course is where the changes are most evident, but I'm happy. Extra 14 ponies don't matter all that much.

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
So hold up....the Dark Horse and GT have nearly identical drag strip times and speeds? Makes me glad I saved $10k buying the GT instead of DH. I'm sure a road course is where the changes are most evident, but I'm happy. Extra 14 ponies don't matter all that much.
Dark Horse is just a "wanna have" gadget for people. I think many people want it just because it's more limited and keeps it's value. All those performance upgrades that it has will only be noticable when on race track I guess. A drag strip is identical for both.

I don't buy a car to keep the value. A car is a bad investment. I buy the car with the same idea of buying a TV.
Enjoying that thing until I want to get rid of it. Every penny that t I can sell it for is just nice to have some money back.

5.0S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
I won't be shocked if there's not even a hp difference in the two the minor difference in dragstrip numbers there is most likely the better trans or the tires on the dh. I'd bet 10 spd to 10 spd the are also probably close to the same as this or closer. And the handling and braking differences are likely just the tires.

Are there any 10 spd reviews with 1/4 mile yet?

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
Dark Horse is just a "wanna have" gadget for people. I think many people want it just because it's more limited and keeps it's value. All those performance upgrades that it has will only be noticable when on race track I guess. A drag strip is identical for both.

I don't buy a car to keep the value. A car is a bad investment. I buy the car with the same idea of buying a TV.
Enjoying that thing until I want to get rid of it. Every penny that t I can sell it for is just nice to have some money back.
Not everyone who orders the DH did it for the drag strip and the track. Get one just to beat around in and enjoy life.

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
DH was never marketed as a drag car. You buy the GT to drag.

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
Not everyone who orders the DH did it for the drag strip and the track. Get one just to beat around in and enjoy life.
Nowhere in my comment I said people buy them for the track and to race it.

I said many people buy them as a collectible because it keeps its value.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
For me, the Dark Horse is about the transmission and the added coolers for track duty (as well as looks, but that's subjective). I like the gearing of the Tremec better for tooling around town, and I like having the added coolers for the occasional track day. The reality is though, that performance between the two cars is going to be essentially identical. Fourteen hp is basically a meaningless difference, and I can't imagine there's even much handling difference unless the Dark Horse has the handling pack with the extra rubber. The hp difference is likely offset by the added weight of the Dark Horse anyway.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Those are some pretty dang sandbagged numbers.

these guys aren’t pushing the Mustang just going through the paces it appears.

not new though. Gotta wonder where the lack of enthusiasm comes from.
What makes you say that? The S650 is basically a reskinned S550 with an extra 20 hp that gets offset by the nearly 100 lb weight increase. There hasn't really been anything added here that's going to move the performance needle majorly in any direction.
Sponsored