• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
They say in the video they drove it 180 miles and put 93 in the tank before they tested it lol. 408 is.....meh.
Even though Ford advertises the DH will run on regular gas, you have to use premium gas to achieve any performance numbers.
Sponsored

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
I saw the different dyno tests on the Dark Horse. LOL, it's just an overpriced GT for the people who want to spend that extra 10-20-30k to have a collectible which I even don't see as something special.

Mustang GT all the way.

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Even though Ford advertises the DH will run on regular gas, you have to use premium gas to achieve any performance numbers.
Steeda did use premium gas for that run (which was the best run btw). The reason I say 408 is "meh" is that GTs are making the same power. And the 21 Mach 1 made the same power. And yeah same dyno but different day the 21 Mach 1 is supposedly 20 hp less than the Dark Horse yet actually Steeda got 409 on the Mach and about 20 more torque.

I'm not saying 408 is bad for the A10 car. But considering it isn't more than a GT or a Mach 1 and it costs a whole lot more is a disappointment to me.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
All car manufacturers advertise flywheel - so dyno numbers will always be lower

Also multiple types of dynos- all read differently
No, maybe all Americans do but most Germans (the ones that matter) advertise WHP simply because it's the only relevant number. If you buy a Mercedes, BMW or Porsche you get what you pay for and sometimes more.

However, testing in the EU is different. Apparently in the US one can advertise a number if that was somehow somewhere produced in the US... German cars are tested so that they will "always" make those numbers. That's why the numbers are higher on ideal conditions and rather on point at very low or high temperatures. Besides, they're tested with regular gas if I remember correctly.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
No, maybe all Americans do but most Germans (the ones that matter) advertise WHP simply because it's the only relevant number. If you buy a Mercedes, BMW or Porsche you get what you pay for and sometimes more.

However, testing in the EU is different. Apparently in the US one can advertise a number if that was somehow somewhere produced in the US... German cars are tested so that they will "always" make those numbers. That's why the numbers are higher on ideal conditions and rather on point at very low or high temperatures. Besides, they're tested with regular gas if I remember correctly.
And yet, we’re here talking about mustangs.

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer

Yesterday I wanted to find a video made in the US where a stock M2 and a stock Mustang GT get's on the same dyno.

I'm also confused of the American horsepower numbers. They are all so high but they do not perfom as what the numbers say. Later I found out Americans are not advertising the actual horsepower on the wheels but what the engine makes.

Now it makes more sense why those American cars are not as fast as I thought they should be.

I'm still curious about if this is totally true or not and still searching for a video of American and German cars on the same dyno to compare how the numbers are made.

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Yesterday I wanted to find a video made in the US where a stock M2 and a stock Mustang GT get's on the same dyno.

I'm also confused of the American horsepower numbers. They are all so high but they do not perfom as what the numbers say. Later I found out Americans are not advertising the actual horsepower on the wheels but what the engine makes.

Now it makes more sense why those American cars are not as fast as I thought they should be.

I'm still curious about if this is totally true or not and still searching for a video of American and German cars on the same dyno to compare how the numbers are made.
Just look at the M240i. It's rated at 382HP/369ft-lbs. It's putting down 403HP to the wheels and about 413ft-lbs. of torque.

You're right. There needs to be ONE standard. Either HP on an engine dyno, HP at the crank or wheel horsepower.

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10

American cars 100% positive advertise engine horsepower not wheel.

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
At the beginning I was hyped about the DH, but seeing more data coming to light, it is sheer not worth spending that much more to get it over a gt.

Same was in the S550 from a GT to a Mach 1. In Germany there was a 10-12K price difference for 10 BHP more. (They argued the price difference due to the GT500 components but well...)

The only part I like about the DH is the color, the diffusor with the bigger exhausts and the dark interior compared to the chrome elements. But all those things can be modifies after market.

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
Agree... unfortunately if you follow the prices of the Mach 1s... they are seeing depreciation similar to the GT. I anticipate that the Dark Horse will follow a similar pattern.

I am seeing handling pack Mach 1s in the 50s by me.

In order to really maintain value the Dark Horse needed a bespoke motor such as the 350 or 500.

350Rs and 500 cftp cars with low mileage are still north of 90k with many over 100k.

Given I'm at almost 15k miles on mine... I've ruined any idea that my car could be an investment.

The memories to me are worth more then the cash if I never drove it...
I wish we would have kept our 79 trans am, now those are worth more now than we paid for it

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Premium 5M, Black on Black.
Reading though this is painful in the extreme.

Test numbers are just that, test numbers. In most cases, they have absolutely no value in the real world. 95% of people will never make use of those capabilities.

You could put 100 people in the same car on the same day with the same conditions and you will get 100 different results.

My last thought about all the comparisons to other cars being better, faster and/or cheaper is, so what?. If that is your opinion, then go buy the competition, because apparently the Mustang is not for you.

Like my Dad has always told me, no matter how good or fast you think you are, there is always someone better and faster.

I have owned a multitude of Mustangs over the years and despite any shortcomings they may have had, I loved them all.

I ordered a Dark Horse for one reason only, I wanted it, period, end of statement!

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid

Test numbers are just that, test numbers. In most cases, they have absolutely no value in the real world. 95% of people will never make use of those capabilities.

You could put 100 people in the same car on the same day with the same conditions and you will get 100 different results.

My last thought about all the comparisons to other cars being better, faster and/or cheaper is, so what?. If that is your opinion, then go buy the competition, because apparently the Mustang is not for you.

Like my Dad has always told me, no matter how good or fast you think you are, there is always someone better and faster.

I have owned a multitude of Mustangs over the years and despite any shortcomings they may have had, I loved them all.

I ordered a Dark Horse for one reason only, I wanted it, period, end of statement!
Finally someone said it out loud lol.

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10

Performance vehicles are all about Performance. The numbers do matter to most people. Competition is human nature and while you personally might be perfectly happy with your Darkhorse possibly not out performing the 21 Mach 1 there will be people who are definitely not happy with that. If numbers and performance didn't matter to anyone we would all be driving minivans
Sponsored