• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Buyers Remorse on Dark Horse | Car now Scheduled for 22May2023 Built

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
Some people mentioning the Ferrari 458 here, aaahh sorry my bad the C8 :D

It is a nice looking car with lots of power, but the Corvette has lost is recognitions value with the C8 and should have come up with a stand alone design language imo.
Sponsored

snakeyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 MACH 1
On the C8 having owned many Corvettes what I just never liked about them was Chevy just ripping them out by the thousands and every dipstick from here to Timbucktoo owning one. Other than the ZR1 no real collector insensitive, no serialized cars. But being interested in all cars and having five other Vettes before it c5s, 6s, and 7s and two Z06s - I bought one (major disappointment) wasn’t impressed, “AT ALL” all hype no seat of the pants incentive. Everything for them is twice what it costs for other cars. Insurance, parts, service charges, and unless you’re a fucking Alien that can contort yourself like Gumby don’t even think about trying to work in “the fake engine bay”.

Out the door that dead hammer went. Thank God I was able to make some $$$ on it’s sorry ass.

raptor5244

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 CT4-V Blackwing
On the C8 having owned many Corvettes what I just never liked about them was Chevy just ripping them out by the thousands and every dipstick from here to Timbucktoo owning one. Other than the ZR1 no real collector insensitive, no serialized cars. But being interested in all cars and having five other Vettes before it c5s, 6s, and 7s and two Z06s - I bought one (major disappointment) wasn’t impressed, “AT ALL” all hype no seat of the pants incentive. Everything for them is twice what it costs for other cars. Insurance, parts, service charges, and unless you’re a fucking Alien that can contort yourself like Gumby don’t even think about trying to work in “the fake engine bay”.

Out the door that dead hammer went. Thank God I was able to make some $$$ on it’s sorry ass.
Yeah, I am a Corvette fan, owned a modified C5 Z06, C7 Stingray and C7 GrandSport. I was able to test drive the C8 Z51 on track and it handles fantastic but I found it pretty boring unless you were going 10/10ths. It is also too quiet, even with the performance exhaust. I think if they offered a manual transmission it would help at least improve the driving engagement.

It is also hard to desire a C8 Stingray once you see and hear the C8 Z06. More aggressive styling, better wheels, exciting engine and exhaust note, etc. but then you are into the big money and the Corvette value proposition is gone.

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
I hear you and I am not advocating for EVs but keep in mind that they come with at least an 8 year/100,000 mile warranty on the battery and drive units. Also, EV batteries don't cost $50k. A Coyote 5.0 crate engine is about $10k, add in a transmission and you are about the price of a new 75kWh battery.

https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/tesla-battery-replacement-costs

Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 5.09.59 PM.png
20k was the cost for a battery for a kia Soul. 50k is for luxury cars đź’€. The engine can be fixed with other parts even the transmission. My cousin battery went out in his Etron. Cost and replacement was 50k because of how it is designed unfortunately. Luckily it was in warranty. But the batter gonna be hard to replace without warranty.

Rag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550
Yeah, I am a Corvette fan, owned a modified C5 Z06, C7 Stingray and C7 GrandSport. I was able to test drive the C8 Z51 on track and it handles fantastic but I found it pretty boring unless you were going 10/10ths. It is also too quiet, even with the performance exhaust. I think if they offered a manual transmission it would help at least improve the driving engagement.

It is also hard to desire a C8 Stingray once you see and hear the C8 Z06. More aggressive styling, better wheels, exciting engine and exhaust note, etc. but then you are into the big money and the Corvette value proposition is gone.
G.m. knows this, and knows most buyers are not going to push the car. nor do most owners have the skill set. But for 67k you get a 2.9 0-60 mid engine car. Even the zo6 at 100k ish is a bargain .
Funny how it was A o-k when Fords gt was a 200k+ car , and slower than the base vet with z51 option.
How vain we car guys/gals have become, that cars with this type performance that not that long ago was 300k-1.2 million+ . Are now to boring to drive unless you are balls out.
I drove a c7 zo6 and liked it better than the c8 , but the c7 zo6 was maxed out , to get to the next level required a change, If they give the buyer everything the c8 can handle out of the gate, it be short lived. Same with the s650, I am sure as the years pass the car performance will have to out do the last few years or no one will trade up.
The c7 zo6 was spot on. The 3rd gen.Fiero, sorry the c8 will take a few years of tweaking it, to be the killer car it can be.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Atlas Blue GT
You hit on exactly why I traded mine on for a ZL1 6 speed. It's now a "gentleman's car"

KAlexander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 CCLB Plat, 2018 GT350, 20 ZX6R, 20 ZX10R
It’s unfortunate as a prior owner of a 2020 GT350 the vehicle Carry an unfair stigma related to engine issues, oil consumption, excessive vibration issues (backing out oil pan bolts) etc, etc, for me although I loved the car (hence my Mach 1 and DH purchase) I knew the warranty would expire and I would be left to face the music w/o a Band. Plus any mod done to it would be a ladder rung for Mother Ford to jump out of the warranty. I weighed my options and sold it first opportunity.
The 18 was supposed to be with the "Gen 2" motor. I got a new engine at 4k miles. While 3 of my buddies with 16s put avg of 60k on their cars no problem. My luck is summed up with "Could be raining pussy outside and I'd get hit on the head with dick"

OP
OP

kkcoolstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
So I went a different direction, couldn’t justify paying almost 100K (Canadian) out the door for a non Shelby mustang. Plus all the production delays, quality issues.

Went with a older model used Porsche instead and saved about 60K.

Still have a c8 deposit so might move to that when my turn comes up next spring.

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
So I went a different direction, couldn’t justify paying almost 100K (Canadian) out the door for a non Shelby mustang. Plus all the production delays, quality issues.

Went with a older model used Porsche instead and saved about 60K.

Still have a c8 deposit so might move to that when my turn comes up next spring.
Did you get confirmation the car was actually built on the 22nd? Would be good to know the factory is up and running.

cipherzero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 C8
As a current C8 owner I will echo what others have said, the C8's luster wears off quickly. The engine is utterly soulless especially compared to the z06 and its just not as exciting after a few months of ownership. As a touring car I suppose its pretty good if you specifically want a 2 seater with the option to remove the top. Also had to spend 3k on an exhaust just to hear the damn thing, stock performance exhaust was beyond pathetic.

If I could go back I would not have traded my GT500 for it. But it was neat to experience a mid-engine platform with good handling characteristics.

I plan to sell within the next year and either:
Get a Dark Horse
Get back in a S550 GT500
Wait for S650 Shelby announcement

AlloyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
I guess I’m jaded. I had a 2003 Mach 1. To me it was worthwhile because it came with 20% more horsepower in addition to the shaker scoop and an exclusive color not offered on any other Mustang and finally retro wheels you couldn’t get elsewhere. In short, the car was special.

It today’s world, ALL of these “special” Mustangs are cookie cutter. Bullitt, Mach 1, Dark Horse, it doesn’t matter they’re all the same engine. None of them are really unique. I understand that there are MINOR differences between them like decals and small interior changes but none of them are unique. To me it’s absolutely stupid to pay $20 or $40k more money for a car that has $3k worth of actual upgrades.

The fact that the new Mach 1 didn’t have a hood scoop built in the same mold they used in the 1960s like they did with the ’03 car was a travesty. The fact that a Dark Horse is commonly going to have a $85k sticker price and will have it’s doors blown off by 2018 base GTs with bolt on modifications is worse.
Three months later my opinion is the same. I keep having that old saying run through my head, "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig."

If I spent that kind of money on a Dark Horse and then had my lunch eaten at a red light by a kid in a $25,000 bolt-on mod ten-year-old GT I think I'd pull over somewhere to cry.

And if the appearance of the Dark Horse is all you're after, that can be had for a lot less than $70,000.

I just don't get it.

If I had that kind of cash to throw at a domestic car I would at least come home with something that's going to be special and/or collectible going forward. Hellkitten Redeye, ZL1, GT500, something....

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Yeah hellcat with stick shift is 68k MSRP which I can get at 3% below invoice no less. Ct4v blackwing is same money and has 4 doors and excellent greenhouse and actual gauges and reasonable materials.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah hellcat with stick shift is 68k MSRP which I can get at 3% below invoice no less. Ct4v blackwing is same money and has 4 doors and excellent greenhouse and actual gauges and reasonable materials.
and boring as hell to drive..... ask me how I know
S650 Mustang Buyers Remorse on Dark Horse | Car now Scheduled for 22May2023 Built IMG_5095

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
and boring as hell to drive..... ask me how I know
I can see how the c8 gets boring... Is the c4 stick? Turbo just too mellow?

True I haven't had a chance to do a proper test drive on one.

Then again if I lived in FL I'd get a subscription to Sebring or end up shooting myself in the head.
Sponsored