• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Auto Start Stop System

Dory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I wonder if there is any data to how many people habitually disable the feature and then an analysis of the added cost to the environment to add the features to the engine in the first place. I wonder if its even breaking even. My mom recently bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee to replace her previous one without the feature and I ride with her a lot and she had trained herself to turn it off every time we got in after the first week. When she forgets she is visibly annoyed or upset when she has to push the button. Also she really misses the Hemi from her last model that is no longer offered. She swore she did not need it when she got the new one, but sure misses it now.
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I wonder if there is any data to how many people habitually disable the feature and then an analysis of the added cost to the environment to add the features to the engine in the first place. I wonder if its even breaking even. My mom recently bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee to replace her previous one without the feature and I ride with her a lot and she had trained herself to turn it off every time we got in after the first week. When she forgets she is visibly annoyed or upset when she has to push the button. Also she really misses the Hemi from her last model that is no longer offered. She swore she did not need it when she got the new one, but sure misses it now.
I've seen suggestions of around 50% turn it off in the US, but elsewhere the figure is lower. I suspect there is much better data on this now cars are 4G connected. I know Ford have anonymous usage data on the PHEV Kuga (Escape) in Europe that shows that over half the mileage done is on electric so I would imagine they can also tell when SS is turned off (not that the PHEV has SS)

The environmental cost is minimal. Stronger starter motor, but then even that is being replaced by the more efficient ISG which does away with the alternator as well. The benefits of SS are well known to emissions so even if half the cars in the US are using it then it is still better than none. As more people transition to PHEV/FHEV/FCEV and BEV it will become irrelevant anyway.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
FYI, it's on the 6 speed manual cars too. While my car's production date has been delayed, the window sticker is not complete yet with pricing or EPA figs, but it does show Start/Stop system in the list of "options"
I will just need to push 2 buttons each time I start the car.
Wow, that is crazy. I don't have it on my 6 speed. I've never seen one yet that shows this. Can you screenshot it?

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
I bet you also don't use the parking brake when parking the vehicle. Instead, you leave it in 1st/2nd/reverse

Not judging. I personally always park my manual trans vehicle in 1st. Only use the handbrake when parked on an incline. However, the Mustang complains when you don't pull the parking brake after turning the engine off and opening the door.
Same here, but when you don't apply the break in the 24 Manual, it beeps at you and tells you the break is not applied. At least in mine it does. Do you get that message too? I too leave it in a gear when I'm just parked. Been doing that since I was a kid driving a manual. It's just the way I learned back in the day.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Same here, but when you don't apply the break in the 24 Manual, it beeps at you and tells you the break is not applied. At least in mine it does. Do you get that message too?
Yep. It's annoying. Some days, I just ignore it, but other days, I just roll with it (put the car in neutral and pull the hand brake).

Reactions: Zig

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
I don't see how the auto stop start system would work with a manual...when you come to a stop, you usually put it in neutral, you may or may not have your foot on the brake (if you're on an incline, probably yes), but even then when would the engine turn off? If it does go off, then perhaps when you let out the clutch it would turn back on? I've never seen the auto stop start system in conjunction with a manual...but I could be wrong.
My 13 year old manual car had a start stop. Nothing special how it works.

When you stop in front of the traffic lights and your car is in neutral, the engine turns off.
When you stel on the clutch to put it in 1, the engine turns on.

Not that hard to figure that out.

OP
OP
MJS54

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Corvette Cpe, '18 Lexus ES 350, '23 Bronco Spt
My 13 year old manual car had a start stop. Nothing special how it works.

When you stop in front of the traffic lights and your car is in neutral, the engine turns off.
When you stel on the clutch to put it in 1, the engine turns on.

Not that hard to figure that out.
Gotcha..what a pain in the butt...

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium Convertible
Wow, that is crazy. I don't have it on my 6 speed. I've never seen one yet that shows this. Can you screenshot it?
Here's the Window Sticker just produced yesterday in its entirety. Start/Stop is no charge, haha.

Like I said, I'll just push 2 buttons to fire her up.

Attachments

DaddyTigggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost Conv.
In case you are not watching the other thread, I posted how to disable the start/stop using ForScan. Also there is a hard wire you can get for $100, but as of right now it's sold out.

Hard Wire - https://www.4dtech.com/ford-mustang-24-start-stop-eliminator/

ForScan Directions:
Four things before you try it:
1) Although ForScan is Free, you will need a cable to connect your PC to your car and an extended license.
Cable I purchased from Amazon ($20) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQ8GHG3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Extended license can be created free for a 2 month free trial. After that it's $12 / year.
2) It should save automatically, but make sure you make a backup of your system first.
3) The video is not for an S650, so the module name is slightly different:
In the Video - BdyCM
In the S650 - BCM
4) The feature you are going to edit looks to also be tied to the Battery Monitoring system. After making the change, my battery indicator now stays lit. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this setting or not.

Video on how to disable Auto Stop/Start:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tur...&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_683sZa3gH5SHptQPpu6MsA4_24

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I might have missed it but was it determined which exhaust mode is used upon auto start?

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Btw, all cars with auto stop have a finite number of ā€œstart/stopsā€ before you see a ā€œcheck engineā€ light.
For example, Toyota will do that after 384,000 such start/stops. Cool, right?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Btw, all cars with auto stop have a finite number of ā€œstart/stopsā€ before you see a ā€œcheck engineā€ light.
For example, Toyota will do that after 384,000 such start/stops. Cool, right?
And if it still starts, no need to have the started replaced. Just have the counter reset (like they would do if they replaced the starter).
Sponsored