• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Auto Start Stop System

OP
OP
MJS54

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Corvette Cpe, '18 Lexus ES 350, '23 Bronco Spt
FYI, it's on the 6 speed manual cars too. While my car's production date has been delayed, the window sticker is not complete yet with pricing or EPA figs, but it does show Start/Stop system in the list of "options"
I will just need to push 2 buttons each time I start the car.
I don't see how the auto stop start system would work with a manual...when you come to a stop, you usually put it in neutral, you may or may not have your foot on the brake (if you're on an incline, probably yes), but even then when would the engine turn off? If it does go off, then perhaps when you let out the clutch it would turn back on? I've never seen the auto stop start system in conjunction with a manual...but I could be wrong.
Sponsored

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I don't see how the auto stop start system would work with a manual...when you come to a stop, you usually put it in neutral, you may or may not have your foot on the brake (if you're on an incline, probably yes), but even then when would the engine turn off? If it does go off, then perhaps when you let out the clutch it would turn back on? I've never seen the auto stop start system in conjunction with a manual...but I could be wrong.
From wiki (take with a grain of salt): "The engine restarts when the clutch is pressed prior to selecting a gear to move the car. The engine may also restart if there is a demand for power from, for example, the air conditioning system."

So, sounds like for auto start/stop, it's assuming you're stopped at an intersection/light with the transmission in neutral and the clutch disengaged.

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
I have a GT Premium Convertible manual transmission on order and it's listed on the specs they sent me. The way it works, from what I'm told, is it activates when the car is stopped, the transmission is in neutral with the clutch all the way out, and the brake pedal is depressed. When you let off the brake pedal the car restarts. Edit: May be when you depress the clutch. Not sure which.

So you can either turn it off with the switch or just leave the clutch pedal depressed when stopped and it won't activate.

Last edited:

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Great, you lucked out! I will see if I can post an example of one (i.e. window sticker with the auto stop start system). You can also go to the build your Mustang site and you'll see that it lists the 5.0L Engine with the auto stop start (for the automatics).
Here's a screenshot from the Mustang "Build Your Own" site by Ford...

24 Mustang GT build your car.JPG

24 Mustang GT Build your own (2).JPG

Found one coming in...built 1 -22- 24

24 Mustang GT (automatic) in Transit.JPG
Thanks for taking the time to post!

OP
OP
MJS54

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Corvette Cpe, '18 Lexus ES 350, '23 Bronco Spt
I have a GT Premium Convertible manual transmission on order and it's listed on the specs they sent me. The way it works, from what I'm told, is it activates when the car is stopped, the transmission is in neutral with the clutch all the way out, and the brake pedal is depressed. When you let off the brake pedal the car restarts. Edit: May be when you depress the clutch. Not sure which.

So you can either turn it off with the switch or just leave the clutch pedal depressed when stopped and it won't activate.
Okay...but what about sitting at a light with your stick in neutral, clutch out, and no pressing on the brake? I do that all the time with my Vette...it's mainly flat here where I live. I guess we will just have to see how that works. Luckily, the DH I've ordered (automatic) will not have it...then again, DH custormers get charged for the gas guzzler tax of $1K, whereas the GT customers do not.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Pages 161 & 162 user manual:

S650 Mustang Auto Start Stop System IMG_1332

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
That looks like the answer. Appears to be independent of the brake pedal in manuals. Just neutral, clutch out, stopped

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium Convertible
Yeah, like I said, I'll just push 2 buttons when I fire her up. They're right next to each other.
I hit a few buttons when I start up the 2015: start, seat cooler, Audio for full screen music, volume up!

zee_g7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
My driving school training strongly emphasized not putting the car in neutral when stopped (instead, keeping it in first - ready to go). it was 20 years ago but I still abide by that.

So my auto-stop won't ever engage.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
My driving school training strongly emphasized not putting the car in neutral when stopped (instead, keeping it in first - ready to go). it was 20 years ago but I still abide by that.

So my auto-stop won't ever engage.
I bet you also don't use the parking brake when parking the vehicle. Instead, you leave it in 1st/2nd/reverse

Not judging. I personally always park my manual trans vehicle in 1st. Only use the handbrake when parked on an incline. However, the Mustang complains when you don't pull the parking brake after turning the engine off and opening the door.

zee_g7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
I bet you also don't use the parking brake when parking the vehicle. Instead, you leave it in 1st/2nd/reverse

Not judging. I personally always park my manual trans vehicle in 1st. Only use the handbrake when parked on an incline. However, the Mustang complains when you don't pull the parking brake after turning the engine off and opening the door.
My 20 year old son kept calling me out on not using the parking brake until he distilled it in my head. So I've changed my _old_ habit of not using the parking brake.

I still put it in gear though because .... habits :)

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Santa Cruz, V-Strom 650
I'm just the opposite, I always use the parking brake. I don't want car hanging on a transmission gear, especially on steep incline.
A 20 year old car adviser . Interesting

Reactions: Zig

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I'm just the opposite, I always use the parking brake. I don't want car hanging on a transmission gear, especially on steep incline.
Being 20 doesn't mean you cannot give good advice!

You can indeed get the parking pawl jammed in an auto box if you rely on it on a steep slope

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Regardless of auto or manual, I thought it was taught/understood that whenever you park on an incline, turn your wheels towards the curb and pull the parking brake.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Set the ‘parking’ brake first, before removing foot from foot brake and moving out of gear.
Sponsored