• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Any potential issues with buying 24 EB for daily driver with plans of keeping it for 10+ years?

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
I really like the idea of buying a 24 EB for use as a daily driver. I've test driven two of them and it is a fun car to drive with plenty of power and decent gas mileage, etc. I've even placed an order for one. I know Ford has revamped the 2.3 EB quite a bit for the MY24 which should be a good thing I hope? Overall would you say the 2.3 EB has been pretty reliable? I've read lots of horror stories on the internet about the 2.3 EB in the Stang blowing up (EcoBoom) but not sure if that's really common or people that don't maintain their cars, etc. I think the 10A is a pretty good transmission too from what I can find online. I am keeping an eye on this potential issue with the hole in the front inner wheel wells too but hopefully Ford is fixing that soon.

Would you guys be confident buying a 2024 EB to use as a daily driver with the plan of keeping it for 10 years or longer? I would probably average around 12K miles per year over that span but possibly less depending on any life changes, etc. Anything I should know before jumping in head first?
Sponsored

The Wizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Mustang; 16 F-150
I took delivery on my factory ordered 2024 EB convertible a month ago.
I traded in my 2008 Mustang convertible which I bought new back then.

So yes, with all season tires and traction control, it should be a fine daily driver for a decade easy.
I do have an F-150 that I can use if I need to get out in heavy snow, but that's seldom a real issue...

Toor_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 s197 v6. Awaiting 2024 s650 GT PP/NP
Those cars are meant to be driven. An Eco or even a GT is a perfect daily driver - if gas mileage isnā€™t a concern to you (which shouldnā€™t be if youā€™re getting a Mustang)

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
The 2.3 is a very reliable engine by turbocharged engine standards, so it should be fine. Most people will never admit it, but they usually do really dumb things and break their cars. For instance, someone who runs nitrous and drag races their ecoboost constantly will probably blow something up, but they don't want to come out and say "Oh I was doing something stupid to cause this". Because they don't want to be ridiculed.

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
These cars are pretty dependable. My old '07 Mustang GT never broke down on me. It has had stupid issues like water leaks, squeaking, hand brake freezing when parked, speaker rattles, but it never left me stranded. One time it put itself into a "limp home" mode.. restarting made that go away. Another time one of the spark plugs went bad on me, but I still managed to get to my destination 2 hours away and then back without an issue. I put 140,000 miles on it, and while it was never my daily commute car as I take public transportation, I took it on many road trips as well as driving Brooklyn - Staten Island to visit my parents, etc. I've driven New York - Miami, New York - Nashville (3 times), etc. Fun road trip car for sure.

The Ecoboost cars sounds pretty good, with lots of power and relatively reasonable fuel economy for a sports car. However, to me it's just not the same. I want a stick shift V8, because otherwise I'd have gotten a Honda Civic Type R... which actually looks pretty great. Don't get me started on the Mustang SUV... :) So my point is, if you are going through the trouble of buying a Mustang, might as well get the V8, otherwise there are better options for cars out there.

TBH, if you find and address all the issues as begin to be known, you should be able to use it to commute to work no problem. It handles pretty well in rain and reasonably well in light snow. Unless you are trying to climb up a hill in a snow storm, then the Mustang will most definitely get hopelessly stuck.

Right now the main problem that is not really discussed as much as it should be is https://www.mustang7g.com/forums/threads/front-inner-wheel-well-issues.158833/ . Until you address this, I would discourage you from using the car as a daily driver, as the bottom of your car will corrode in 1--2 years.

The Wizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Mustang; 16 F-150
I delayed ordering my new Mustang a few years because they were talking about making a Performance Hybrid five years ago, and I was interested in getting one of those.
But, of course, that never happened...
šŸ˜„

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 EcoBoost Rapid Red
I think your plan is a sound one. I bought one two months ago as a road car, and I expect it to last for many miles and years. As a prior poster said, the "EcoBoom' is the result of someone doing something stupid.

I saw an article a couple of weeks ago ranking all of Ford's Ecoboost engines, and the 2.3L in the Mustang was rated the best of them all. It is even better for 2024 as they have strengthened it and added port injection as well as direct injection which is the best combination of all.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
These cars are pretty dependable. My old '07 Mustang GT never broke down on me. It has had stupid issues like water leaks, squeaking, hand brake freezing when parked, speaker rattles, but it never left me stranded. One time it put itself into a "limp home" mode.. restarting made that go away. Another time one of the spark plugs went bad on me, but I still managed to get to my destination 2 hours away and then back without an issue. I put 140,000 miles on it, and while it was never my daily commute car as I take public transportation, I took it on many road trips as well as driving Brooklyn - Staten Island to visit my parents, etc. I've driven New York - Miami, New York - Nashville (3 times), etc. Fun road trip car for sure.

The Ecoboost cars sounds pretty good, with lots of power and relatively reasonable fuel economy for a sports car. However, to me it's just not the same. I want a stick shift V8, because otherwise I'd have gotten a Honda Civic Type R... which actually looks pretty great. Don't get me started on the Mustang SUV... :) So my point is, if you are going through the trouble of buying a Mustang, might as well get the V8, otherwise there are better options for cars out there.

TBH, if you find and address all the issues as begin to be known, you should be able to use it to commute to work no problem. It handles pretty well in rain and reasonably well in light snow. Unless you are trying to climb up a hill in a snow storm, then the Mustang will most definitely get hopelessly stuck.

Right now the main problem that is not really discussed as much as it should be is https://www.mustang7g.com/forums/threads/front-inner-wheel-well-issues.158833/ . Until you address this, I would discourage you from using the car as a daily driver, as the bottom of your car will corrode in 1--2 years.
Yes the inner wheel well issues do indeed have my full attention. It sounds like Ford might have made some sort of change to this design on Job 2 cars but unfortunately I haven't seen an actual picture of the supposed new design yet. I'm thinking worse case some sort of aftermarket fix should appear at some point if need be. If not, there's always some of the DIY fixes folks have posted here or good old tape as a temp fix if need be.

I do hear you on the GT vs EB but I would still need to get a GT with an Auto so the misses can drive it. Power wise I'm sure the GT is quite a bit quicker (and thirstier, lol) than the EB but for my use case I'm not sure how often I would be able to take advantage of that power. I test drove two different 24 EB's and they have plenty of power IMHO. The budget does play into it for me as I would probably be looking at 10K more for a GT (I'll have to check) not to mention more for insurance (I assume) and worse gas mileage, etc.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
I think your plan is a sound one. I bought one two months ago as a road car, and I expect it to last for many miles and years. As a prior poster said, the "EcoBoom' is the result of someone doing something stupid.

I saw an article a couple of weeks ago ranking all of Ford's Ecoboost engines, and the 2.3L in the Mustang was rated the best of them all. It is even better for 2024 as they have strengthened it and added port injection as well as direct injection which is the best combination of all.
Yes I do like the fact that they did add port injection. I haven't asked this about the EB yet but do you know how involved it is with changing the oil? I know with the 24 GT it was mentioned having to take off the bottom felt cover so you don't drip oil all over it when changing it. I'm curious if the 24 EB has the same setup? I won't be changing the oil myself but I have the QuickLane place that's part of our Ford dealer change it. Not sure if they would even remove the felt thing (if it's on the EB too) or just slop oil all over it?

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 EcoBoost Rapid Red
I have changed my oil, and it does require the removal of the belly shroud under the engine. Sadly, there in no door you can open to easily access the oil filter, so you have to remove the whole thing. It's not hard to do, but the S550 design with the access door is a better arrangement. If the ever come out with an improved belly pan with an access door, I would swap it for sure.

Other than that, oil changes are easy. To protect the life of the turbo, I would plan on oil changes every 5000 miles (or less), using the full synthetic oil of your choice.

It is the perfect car for my needs.

mustangwilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Performance Pack
Those cars are meant to be driven. An Eco or even a GT is a perfect daily driver - if gas mileage isnā€™t a concern to you (which shouldnā€™t be if youā€™re getting a Mustang)
Agreed. and my GT-PP gets same or better mileage than my 2.7 EB Bronco.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
I really like the idea of buying a 24 EB for use as a daily driver. I've test driven two of them and it is a fun car to drive with plenty of power and decent gas mileage, etc. I've even placed an order for one. I know Ford has revamped the 2.3 EB quite a bit for the MY24 which should be a good thing I hope? Overall would you say the 2.3 EB has been pretty reliable? I've read lots of horror stories on the internet about the 2.3 EB in the Stang blowing up (EcoBoom) but not sure if that's really common or people that don't maintain their cars, etc. I think the 10A is a pretty good transmission too from what I can find online. I am keeping an eye on this potential issue with the hole in the front inner wheel wells too but hopefully Ford is fixing that soon.

Would you guys be confident buying a 2024 EB to use as a daily driver with the plan of keeping it for 10 years or longer? I would probably average around 12K miles per year over that span but possibly less depending on any life changes, etc. Anything I should know before jumping in head first?
The Ecoboost is extremely reliable.
Iā€™ve had several Ecoā€™s Twin Turbos in my F-150ā€™s. No issues.
The Ecoboost is a little quicker off the line than the GT.
I currently have a 3.5 Ecoboost H. O. In my 2020 F-150 Limited, 450 horse šŸŽ.
Very easy to lite them up.
The Ecoboost owner will want to change the Oil more often than a GT.
I do the Oil change and Rotate the tires every 3 monthsā€™ regardless of mileage.
Like every other engine you must take care of them.
I ordered the GT because I havenā€™t had a true V-8 in many years.
I almost purchased a Eco. High Performance.
It was Fast. Doing about 40 & the salesman said punch it. So I did. The rear tire went sideways and it took off.
I didnā€™t get it because of the Summer tires.
Not any good in Colorado Winter Weather. The tires were big and not much of a tread.
Hope this may help any Ecoboost buyers.
Sponsored