• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ambient Light Kit Voids Warranty? - Looking to Install

TheRuthlessObliterator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Hey Guys,

I wanted to check with everyone in this forum if anyone knows installing interior ambient light kit voids warranty.

I am planning not to tap into any of the car's wiring and use a separate fuse to run power for the lights from the passenger side fuse box.

I checked with the service dept at my dealership and they are just dodging the question until I gave up asking. They were giving me diplomatic answers like "as long as it doesn't affect car's systems".

I mean, I am running a separate fuse, separate power, separate wiring etc that does not touch the car's wirining in anyway (which should not affect or interfere with car's systems or wiring).

Is anyone aware of this? If yes, please let me know.

Thank you!
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
From my perspective, there are three areas to be mindful of, two of which are subjective and cannot be answered:

1. From the 2022 Warranty Guide, Page 15 (Objective):

"Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
ā€¢ alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company"

Any modifications to the vehicle are grounds to deny a warranty claim.

2. Dealer relationship (subjective): you make mods to the lighting or interior. Great. Later, you develop a transmission problem. The dealer notices your mods, but understands they have nothing to do with the transmission. Claim approved.

3. Nature of the problem (subjective): you make the same mods to your lighting. Years later, the alternator fails. Whose to say the impact of the lighting? Again, it's going to depend on the Dealer and the Service Manager, but the claim would most likely be denied. You're on your own.

Are you voiding your warranty by installing the lighting? In the opinion of Ford, yes.

At the end of the day, the Dealer would go out of business attempting to navigate all the possibilities and potentials of what mods have or don't have measurable impacts on a particular issue. The easiest and clearest solution for all parties is to adhere to paragraph #1 above. Ford designed, manufactured and sold a vehicle with a baseline. The warranty supports that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheRuthlessObliterator

TheRuthlessObliterator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
From the 2022 Warranty Guide, Page 15 (Objective):

ā€¢ alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company"

That is such BS. What I am planning to do literally has nothing to do with interfering with the cars electronics.

I am supposed o wait 3 years to install some lights? -_-

This is insane.

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
From the 2022 Warranty Guide, Page 15 (Objective):

"Damage caused by"... They'd have to show that. They can't make up stuff just because you added something. And the risk of adding additional electrical stuff is damage caused by the stuff/install itself (melting something, starting a fire, cutting the wrong wire, tapping into the battery or another used circuit directly, etc., etc.).

Nature of the problem (subjective): you make the same mods to your lighting. Years later, the alternator fails. Whose to say the impact of the lighting? Again, it's going to depend on the Dealer and the Service Manager, but the claim would most likely be denied. You're on your own.
Stuff runs from the battery, not the alternator. The alternator is always on and always supplying electric at a predetermined rate. It fails and it's under warranty, doesn't matter what electronics were added unless someone wired into the alternator directly. Generally speaking, battery warrantees also don't care what's on the car, but could become a question if the battery is drawn down when the car is off. These days, the car itself could be (and probably is) pulling power when it's off. So they just replace batteries under warranty.

I, personally, wouldn't hesitate to add lighting on an unused fuse to a car under warranty. Fog/driving lights have long been a thing.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
what if the dealer installs the FORD ambient light kit?
It's a good question, but one the Dealer would have to answer. My initial thought is it would not be supported by the factory warranty, if the Dealer agreed to do it at all. Dealer techs are qualified to perform repairs, not new installs (see exception below).

I don't remember reading of a Owner taking parts to the Dealer to make mods, even if factory parts. They either always did it themselves or went to a trusted tech.

I'm aware of one Mustang mod Ford supports: the Whipple SC install program. Maybe Ford sponsors other Dealer-install Mustang alterations.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Good points all around.

I believe most of us make minor changes to our cars and go about our business. The majority of the time warranty claims are straightforward. But sometimes they are not. The relationship with the Service Manager and the Dealer can then be critical. At the other extreme, some make extensive mods and understand from the beginning there's little if anything left of the warranty.

I was thinking something of a sweet spot would be to wait one year. The S650 would be well-fielded by then, with any issues brought to light (no pun intended). Recalls (understood these could slow roll over years), concerns and issues brought up by Members, the car itself weathered in.

If considering a mod in an area of concern being discussed at 7G or elsewhere, I'd put things on pause and await clarification on that topic.

YMMV.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheRuthlessObliterator

TheRuthlessObliterator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Whatā€™s the final takeaway? Can I use an unused fuse to install ambient lights? Will doing this in anyway cause issues to carā€™s electronics that ford would use to deny any warranty claims?

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
That is such BS. What I am planning to do literally has nothing to do with interfering with the cars electronics.

I am supposed o wait 3 years to install some lights? -_-
Yes. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head saying you can't do it. All we are saying is that there are risks involved and if anything electronic goes wrong with your car, a dealer could potentially trace it back to the added install of ambient lighting overloading electrical circuits.

Its the same when it comes to all those tuner boys out there that buy a new car and mod the crap out of it right away. They accept the risk as well because anything mechanical they touched that goes wrong a dealer could identify that the mods were the cause of the problem.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Whatā€™s the final takeaway? Can I use an unused fuse to install ambient lights? Will doing this in anyway cause issues to carā€™s electronics that ford would use to deny any warranty claims?
I would actually reach out to Ford's customer service line and chat with someone about that. They might be able to give you a better answer.

OP
OP
TheRuthlessObliterator

TheRuthlessObliterator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I would actually reach out to Ford's customer service line and chat with someone about that. They might be able to give you a better answer.
Okay, I will try that, thank you!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Okay, I will try that, thank you!
I really do not think calling them is going to matter one iota. All you are going to get is a prepared speech based on the written warranty.

Bottom line, just go ahead and do it. If, by some very slim chance you run into an electrical issue just pull the wire. I'm not really a betting man but this one is a no brainer. There are a million modified Mustangs out there, including mine. Something this simple is, IMHO, nothing to concern yourself about. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!! :turkey:
Sponsored