• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

3.15 or 3.55 for my GT Daily Driver? 3.55 Worth the upcharge?

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
My 2016 came with 3.15s and always felt sluggish as all hell. I changed to 3.55s at 30k miles and it was an immediately noticeable difference in low end torque. I would never get a GT with 3.15s again. The coyote doesn't make enough low end torque as it is
So your 2016 with 3.15's felt sluggish as all hell? That's pretty disappointing actually. I wonder if the 24's with the 3.15's feel really sluggish. My test drive of a GT was really short and at slower speeds as the weather and roads were pretty crappy. I liked it enough to convince myself to change my order from an EB to the GT and pay the Coyote tax:)

Maybe I should take a longer test drive to make sure the 24 GT with the 3.15's would be good enough for me as a daily driver. Maybe I can even get some time behind a 24 with the 3.55's. Anyone here with a 24 GT with the 3.15's find is sluggish around town or pretty decent?
Sponsored

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
i really think you should go for it. it's a $995 option and the opinions seem to all align: the 3.55 is better than the 3.15

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
I went with 3.15sā€¦ also I plan on boosting the carā€¦
N/A probably go with the 3.55sā€¦ but if youā€™re gonna actually make some real power 3.15s all day.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
N/A probably go with the 3.55sā€¦ but if youā€™re gonna actually make some real power 3.15s all day.
So since you have a 24 with the 3.15s do you find it to be sluggish at all around town like some have mentioned or is it plenty quick around town?

Also I'm in Metro Detroit too - howdy:)

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
I kinda understandā€¦ either your part throttle cruising and itā€™s normal(sluggish) or Iā€™m in the pedal ripping it 100 everywhere

the coyote doesnā€™t make tons of tqā€¦ so either youā€™re ripping it up top or not.

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
So your 2016 with 3.15's felt sluggish as all hell? That's pretty disappointing actually. I wonder if the 24's with the 3.15's feel really sluggish. My test drive of a GT was really short and at slower speeds as the weather and roads were pretty crappy. I liked it enough to convince myself to change my order from an EB to the GT and pay the Coyote tax:)

Maybe I should take a longer test drive to make sure the 24 GT with the 3.15's would be good enough for me as a daily driver. Maybe I can even get some time behind a 24 with the 3.55's. Anyone here with a 24 GT with the 3.15's find is sluggish around town or pretty decent?
So that's the thing. I traded an ecoboost with 3.55s for a GT with 3.15s so it was a big change under 3000rpm. The Ecoboost hits peak torque really low in the rpm range, so in city traffic it will "feel" faster. You'll get crap from pretty much all car people, but the eco performance is a really fun car to drive (i still dont recommend it). I did get slightly better mileage with the 3.15s though

MichaelKael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maggie, beautiful Ā“15 Cyclone Mustang 51A Magnetic
Interesting to read everyoneā€™s opinion !
I went and rechecked on the builder, and it seems like in Canada at least(seems to be similar for you):
- if you get the 6 speed it comes with the 3.55, and you canā€™t order the 3.15. Need to get the PP for the 3.73.

- if you get the 10A it comes with the 3.15, 3.55 is available for a $500 (Canada pricing). And same, it requires the PP to get the 3.73.

I checked my order on the Ford website, and my 6 speed is indeed scheduled with a 3.55.
So saving $2,250 by getting a manual+3.55 IS sweet (since the 10A is $1,750 over the 6speed) ! šŸ¤£

so Iā€™m assuming youā€™re getting a 10A ?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
The higher the number the taller the wheelie.

the taller the wheelie the further into the seat you go, that is what is felt. Mpg is relative to how often and frequent and aggressively enthusiastic you tempt the wheelie.

McSmugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I optioned the 3.55 gear onto my non-PP GT. I do like it, however, it's not a Torsen. I wish it was a Torsen so I wouldn't have to worry about it wearing out from a lot of hard launches.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
So that's the thing. I traded an ecoboost with 3.55s for a GT with 3.15s so it was a big change under 3000rpm. The Ecoboost hits peak torque really low in the rpm range, so in city traffic it will "feel" faster. You'll get crap from pretty much all car people, but the eco performance is a really fun car to drive (i still dont recommend it). I did get slightly better mileage with the 3.15s though
Your comments about still not recommending the EB are interesting. I test drove two EB's and found them to be nice. So nice I initially ordered one, that was until I made the 'mistake' of test driving a GT. My test drive of the GT was really short and at slow speeds and less than optimal weather and road conditions. Just something about even that short drive that made me pony up and want to pay the coyote tax. Maybe it was that intoxicating sound but who knows, lol. Honestly had I not driven a GT I'm sure I would have been perfectly fine with the EB.

I guess that's why I've been asking questions this week about different options as I want to get my GT build just right for me. This week I decided to add active exhaust to my build as it seems like something I will utilize. I figured I would also ask about the 3.55 gears too so here we are. Honestly the more I read and educate myself I'm not sure I would really notice a difference for my use case with the 3.55's compared to the 3.15's. I'm thinking that $1000 upcharge might be better utilized on a warranty to keep my baby safe and protected:)

JediMindTrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 GT 401A (NP, PP, MR, AE, 10R80)
I was going to mention this and you beat me to it...... 3.55 for non-boosted and go 3.15 if you're throwing an SC on it. it makes a difference in gears 1-2 on the 10-speed so they're not mostly useless.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Interesting to read everyoneā€™s opinion !
I went and rechecked on the builder, and it seems like in Canada at least(seems to be similar for you):
- if you get the 6 speed it comes with the 3.55, and you canā€™t order the 3.15. Need to get the PP for the 3.73.

- if you get the 10A it comes with the 3.15, 3.55 is available for a $500 (Canada pricing). And same, it requires the PP to get the 3.73.

I checked my order on the Ford website, and my 6 speed is indeed scheduled with a 3.55.
So saving $2,250 by getting a manual+3.55 IS sweet (since the 10A is $1,750 over the 6speed) ! šŸ¤£

so Iā€™m assuming youā€™re getting a 10A ?
Yes I'm getting the 10A here in the US. I think the 10A is a $1595 upcharge here and the 3.55's are a $955 or so upcharge here (can't remember exact amount). Honestly I wouldn't mind the manual myself but someone in the household can't drive a stick and really where we live the traffic sucks so there's that too.

Anyway I'm off to TIm Horton's (not kidding)....LOL

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
I was going to mention this and you beat me to it...... 3.55 for non-boosted and go 3.15 if you're throwing an SC on it. it makes a difference in gears 1-2 on the 10-speed so they're not mostly useless.
But really how much of a difference does it make? You mention the 3.55's do make a difference in gears 1-2 on the 10A but is it something I would really ever miss? Especially if I don't drive one with the 3.55's.

I've seen posts online that say that the difference (in actual times, etc) isn't even noticeable. Maybe I would notice in the seat of the pants meter but I'm not sure if it's worth the coin for my use case. Like I mentioned in another post that almost $1K might be better spent on an extended warranty:)

Not trying to doubt you or anyone that the 3.55's do make a difference but I guess I'm just wondering if it's something I would even notice. I guess if I don't test drive a 3..55 I'll never know what I'm missing anyway, lol.

JediMindTrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 GT 401A (NP, PP, MR, AE, 10R80)
But really how much of a difference does it make? You mention the 3.55's do make a difference in gears 1-2 on the 10A but is it something I would really ever miss? Especially if I don't drive one with the 3.55's.

I've seen posts online that say that the difference (in actual times, etc) isn't even noticeable. Maybe I would notice in the seat of the pants meter but I'm not sure if it's worth the coin for my use case. Like I mentioned in another post that almost $1K might be better spent on an extended warranty:)

Not trying to doubt you or anyone that the 3.55's do make a difference but I guess I'm just wondering if it's something I would even notice. I guess if I don't test drive a 3..55 I'll never know what I'm missing anyway, lol.
Well to clarify my post is about if you're supercharged then the first few gears on the 3.55 diff are useless meaning shift so quick no traction etc.. so the 3.15 diff tends to do better in those applications. If you option for the 3.55 non-pp version it's also not a torsen differential whereas the 3.55 PP diff is a torsen. I've owned both the 3.15 and 3.55 gears in a Mustang and yes you will notice a difference.
Sponsored