• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

24GT - Driving Impression from a noob

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
My understanding is 3k and higher.

That said, I completely understand your frustrations. My 550i starts making peak torque at 1800 RPM and stays flat until 4750 and only then starts to fall off and my F350 makes peak torque at 1600 RPM.

I've driven plenty of Naturally Aspirated V8s in my time and a non-boosted Coyote seems to need that extra RPM to get it to wake up

As for cars getting lighter. I really doubt we will see cars going the other way on weight anytime soon without either a huge cost increase, or significant discovery. One of the biggest reasons we keep seeing weight increases is due to increasing safety features such as small overlap front collisions. The new mustang has 8 airbags for instance.

I get it that we want light cars, but I think that most of us also want to be safe. Unfortunately, it seems there is a trinity of Weight, Cost, and Safety - choose 2, type of situation. Low weight, low cost = bad safety. Good Safety plus low cost means high weight, etc.
Sponsored

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
My understanding is 3k and higher.

That said, I completely understand your frustrations. My 550i starts making peak torque at 1800 RPM and stays flat until 4750 and only then starts to fall off and my F350 makes peak torque at 1600 RPM.

I've driven plenty of Naturally Aspirated V8s in my time and a non-boosted Coyote seems to need that extra RPM to get it to wake up

As for cars getting lighter. I really doubt we will see cars going the other way on weight anytime soon without either a huge cost increase, or significant discovery. One of the biggest reasons we keep seeing weight increases is due to increasing safety features such as small overlap front collisions. The new mustang has 8 airbags for instance.

I get it that we want light cars, but I think that most of us also want to be safe. Unfortunately, it seems there is a trinity of Weight, Cost, and Safety - choose 2, type of situation. Low weight, low cost = bad safety. Good Safety plus low cost means high weight, etc.
I'm going to have to get used to that higher RPM sound. It will take a while, but it will happen.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I'm a noob re: the Coyote engine. I'm coming from a turbo Subaru WRX (aftermarket exhaust) at about 290 HP. The turbo would kick in at pretty low RPMs (2K-2.5K) which was nice. What is the power band in the Coyote?
Since you have the active exhaust, but keep in mind that these numbers are rated for 93 Octane:
486 hp at 7,250 rpm
418 lb⋅ft at 4,900 rpm

If you haven't gone past 5,000 RPM, you haven't really felt the pull of the engine yet. Just saying. This motor apparently loves to rev (and I'm ok with that).

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
Since you have the active exhaust, but keep in mind that these numbers are rated for 93 Octane:
486 hp at 7,250 rpm
418 lb⋅ft at 4,900 rpm

If you haven't gone past 5,000 RPM, you haven't really felt the pull of the engine yet. Just saying. This motor apparently loves to rev (and I'm ok with that).
Just going to take me time to get used to it. Got a lot of mileage to go during breakin.

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
I'm going to have to get used to that higher RPM sound. It will take a while, but it will happen.
I felt the same way with my 2018, I'm okay with the higher RPMs now.

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
My GT is due in at the dealer any day now. I only had a very short, slow test drive of the GT before ordering it do to the weather and roads being not ideal that day. I did test drive two different EB's before the GT. I do plan to take my GT for a much further test drive when it comes in and make sure that it's for sure what I want.

I know the Coyote loves to rev (at least all the comments say it does) but I hope I'm not disappointed in it's performance just driving it around town normally. I did order the 3.55's to go along with the A10 so hopefully that'll give it some extra oomph around town. Like I mentioned my GT test drive was short and at slow speeds so I was probably seduced by the rumble of the Coyote more than anything else, lol. I guess we'll see:)

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Here is a picture of a Torque/power curve I found comparing Gen 3 and Gen 4, but I find the initial torque curve the most interesting (off of LMR website https://lmr.com/products/2022-mustang-gt-vs-2024-mustang-gt-dyno) Now, I don't know where they started pressing down the accelerator pedal, but it looks like you don't start seeing good torque until 2500 RPM or so. The good news though, is that it stays pretty flat after that. Yeah, you get dropoff after 5k or so, but it's still pretty good through fuel cutoff.

If you come from a boosted car, you are used to torque coming in down low. Heck, even the old 4.6l engine in my thunderbird had a better percentage of it's torque down low. The problem with the old 4.6 2V though is that it ran out of breath pretty quickly dropping off significantly at 4k.

I suspect (I don't know, but highly suspect), that the ford coyote is tuned to get great fuel economy at low RPMs, and then good performance at higher RPM. This way, you can lope along at freeway speeds and get good mileage when you are cruising down the interstate for hours on end vs taking a spirited romp on a backroad where you are probably not going very long distances but are looking more for a pleasure drive.

2022-mustang-gt-vs-2024-mustang-gt-dyno_663ee4af.jpg

Last edited:

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Here is a picture of a Torque/power curve I found comparing Gen 3 and Gen 4, but I find the initial torque curve the most interesting (off of LMR website https://lmr.com/products/2022-mustang-gt-vs-2024-mustang-gt-dyno) Now, I don't know where they started pressing down the accelerator pedal, but it looks like you don't start seeing good torque until 2500 RPM or so. The good news though, is that it stays pretty flat after that. Yeah, you get dropoff after 5k or so, but it's still pretty good through fuel cutoff.

If you come from a boosted car, you are used to torque coming in down low. HJck, even the old 4.6l engine in my thunderbird had a better percentage of it's torque down low. The problem with the old 4.6 2V though is that it ran out of breath pretty quickly dropping off significantly at 4k.

I suspect (I don't know, but highly suspect), that the ford coyote is tuned to get great fuel economy at low RPMs, and then good performance at higher RPM. This way, you can lope along at freeway speeds and get good mileage when you are cruising down the interstate for hours on end vs taking a spirited romp on a backroad where you are probably not going very long distances but are looking more for a pleasure drive.

2022-mustang-gt-vs-2024-mustang-gt-dyno_663ee4af.jpg
Thanks for posting this. Honestly 2500 RPM isn't bad for a good amount of torque coming onboard in the Gen 4 Coyote. I'm getting excited for my car to make it to the dealer any day now so I can give it a thorough and proper test drive:)

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Thanks for posting this. Honestly 2500 RPM isn't bad for a good amount of torque coming onboard in the Gen 4 Coyote. I'm getting excited for my car to make it to the dealer any day now so I can give it a thorough and proper test drive:)
Don’t forget that chart is ‘wink wink’ 1:1.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Don’t forget that chart is ‘wink wink’ 1:1.
The chart is similar to many other charts I found out there. I don't know if people tend to start their pull at higher RPM level, the engine revs fast at those lower levels, or whatnot.

I do know that in general, 4v engines tend to make their torque at a higher RPM than their 2V brethren. From some of the stuff I am seeing online, which being online means take with large grains of salt, Ford has used VVT to improve fuel economy. To me, that makes it seem that the lower torque at sub 2,500 RPM is a deliberate choice on their part.

Again, I don't know if they started their pull from 2,300 RPM and the lower levels are just from starting there, or if it's something else. I would love to see a dyno chart that started their pull at 1,200 RPM or even better from idle to see how things line up with that inflection point. It might not be nearly as bad as people keep saying. Does anyone have a dyno chart that starts from a lower level?

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I'm just happy that Ford didn't give the Coyote in the Mustang cylinder deactivation or active fuel management. My initial understanding for having direct and port injection was to help with power delivery and fuel economy. As well as, the port injection is supposed to help keep the intake valves somewhat clean from carbon build up, which is due to running direct injection.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Growing up a friend of mine's dad had a Caddy with the 8-6-4 cylinder crap and it was a disaster. Nice idea in theory but horrid in practice. As for me, i go back to the 70's muscle cars but recently my last Stang was a 2003 GT vert with subframes, strut tower brace, Cobra brakes and a conservative tune. Like others have stated, going from the 03 to the 24 is like night and day. While the 03 was a blast to drive, my 24 GT 401a premium no PP is miles ahead in sophistication. And for me, it handles the twisty roads just fine but at the same time is comfortable and civilized. As others have said, it really depends upon what you are coming from.. Best wishes !

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
I'm a noob re: the Coyote engine. I'm coming from a turbo Subaru WRX (aftermarket exhaust) at about 290 HP. The turbo would kick in at pretty low RPMs (2K-2.5K) which was nice. What is the power band in the Coyote?
POwer band in the Coyote is pretty much 4000-7000 rpm but it does not feel strong due to weight of the car , small displacement and tall gears...3rd tops out at 116 mph...! Not much going on between 2000 and 4000 rpm....

rgcbshrty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ty everyone! I’ll give the car a few months. As many of you said here it seems a matter of breaking in the engine-transmission.

im also glad to know that other people also experienced this sensation of response delay, and I understand as well that the car indeed feels heavy.

As long that is a expected behavior, I’m fine. I can sleep better now!

update: related to the acceleration and delay, the sport mode responds a bit better indeed, but the gear shifts are a bit rough.
The annoying delay I experience is just off idle with aggressive throttle. My 2016 and 18 did not have that delay what so ever.

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
The annoying delay I experience is just off idle with aggressive throttle. My 2016 and 18 did not have that delay what so ever.
I love my GT, though It is annoying as hell that a dual intake, GT in Sport Mode A10... Idle and floor it barely get a tire chirp, no chance of a burnout. Hell even neutral revving there is a lag...

Now, Brake hold get the RPM to 1500+ punch it and it will spin em till I quit.

I am just not used to throttle by wire being programmed so weak, it's a fukn Mustang GT V8, I expect a better programmed response. Have a Dodge 1.4L 4 speed with better throttle by wire response.

I stuck a pedal commander on it and throttle lag GONE! Took it off though cause it kept trippin throttle sensor codes. I shouldn't have to buy some shit device to unleash the balls this thing obviously has. I was not planning on tuning (once available) cause of warranty issues though if I can tune a better throttle response, I'm in! ... I still love the hell out of this thing and don't fault the car because it is capable.
Sponsored