• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

“Next Gen” Mustang Will be Electric (EV) Only Claims Autoline

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Ford to go all-electric in Europe by 2030 - BBC News

Which means either an electric Mustang or no Mustang for Europe.
No problem :giggle: :facepalm:
1613570009096.jpeg
I do believe that is the option we will be offered, I have already been asked at work if I have seen the new mustang ... :facepalm:

Pretty sure it will be a ban on registering ICE cars so it doesn't matter whether new or old.
In that case I have a date for finishing my kit car, I best be pulling my finger out ... :cwl:

WD :like:
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Which will be seen as regressive, in that it will be lower incomes and fixed incomes who will be most adversely affected.

Norm
That wasn't my point - I was referring to the import of second hand cars as a possible route to bypass the changes.

Regarding your point however - lower and fixed incomes can't afford new cars anyway so irrelevant. The second hand market will be the same as before, only EV rather than ICE with time.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do believe that is the option we will be offered, I have already been asked at work if I have seen the new mustang ... :facepalm:

In that case I have a date for finishing my kit car, I best be pulling my finger out ... :cwl:

How car do you need to register it? I wonder if you can title a bunch of rolling chassis, then sell them to people post-ban.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

There will be coupe EV's and sports cars - there already are and plenty on the way.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That wasn't my point - I was referring to the import of second hand cars as a possible route to bypass the changes.

Regarding your point however - lower and fixed incomes can't afford new cars anyway so irrelevant. The second hand market will be the same as before, only EV rather than ICE with time.
Problem with that is the same as with all EV's. The batteries!

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How car do you need to register it? I wonder if you can title a bunch of rolling chassis, then sell them to people post-ban.
It can only be registered if type approved or single vehicle approved - that has to be on a completed vehicle in Europe.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
If we build a kit car over here, it can only be registered once its fully built and has been approved to the appropriate regulations i.e. complete with lights / mirrors etc and tested for emissions / noise etc :like:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Problem with that is the same as with all EV's. The batteries!
This has been argued about on here at length, but actually more a preconceived issue than reality. Range already approaches ICE cars and recharging quickly at up to 200 miles per hour (That is range per hour of charging not speed!) with quicker still by Tesla. Infrastructure in Europe is developing fast to cover it.

It will happen here - and I suspect the US will follow eventually.

I'm not an EV fanboi - I have a V8 Mustang and a PHEV which does most of it's miles on battery. Works perfectly for us and cheaper to run too. What's not to like ?

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This has been argued about on here at length, but actually more a preconceived issue than reality. Range already approaches ICE cars and recharging quickly at up to 200 miles per hour (That is range per hour of charging not speed!) with quicker still by Tesla. Infrastructure in Europe is developing fast to cover it.

I'm not an EV fanboi - I have a V8 Mustang and a PHEV which does most of it's miles on battery. Works perfectly for us and cheaper to run too. What's not to like ?
Current battery tech degrades a little with each charge cycle (especially fast charging). Banning even 2nd hand sales of ICE vehicles means that aging BEV's will be foisted on people who can ill afford to replace the battery packs WHEN they fail/stop holding a meaningful charge.

What's not to like is that the technology and infrastructure aren't ready for a widespread adoption. Forcing it to happen with regulation is the surest way to make it fail. This type of change needs to be adopted from the ground up, starting with building a powergrid and charging network to handle the influx of new BEV's. That kind of change should come from consumer demand being met by industry, not via application of Handwavium.
What so only poor people use public transport !
It will be the counter argument to the rising cost of cars. They'll spin it as the most environmentally friendly and economically sound choice.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current battery tech degrades a little with each charge cycle (especially fast charging). Banning even 2nd hand sales of ICE vehicles means that aging BEV's will be foisted on people who can ill afford to replace the battery packs WHEN they fail/stop holding a meaningful charge.

What's not to like is that the technology and infrastructure aren't ready for a widespread adoption. Forcing it to happen with regulation is the surest way to make it fail. This type of change needs to be adopted from the ground up, starting with building a powergrid and charging network to handle the influx of new BEV's. That kind of change should come from consumer demand being met by industry, not via application of Handwavium.

It will be the counter argument to the rising cost of cars. They'll spin it as the most environmentally friendly and economically sound choice.
Europe will only ban the registration of new ICE cars from 2030 - old ones can continue until they are scrapped so no loss of available vehicles at the lower end of the price range. BEV batteries last 10 years or more (Ford guarantee 80% range at 8 years) so in reality there will be plenty of other things on a 10 year old car that will result in it being scrapped as there are now.

Infrastructure is developing fast in Europe and certainly in the UK the National Grid does not consider the widespread adoption of EV's to be an unsurmountable problem. UK electricity consumption has been falling for years (Mainly as a result of LED lighting and greater thermal efficiency in homes) so EV demand is only replacing these reductions. Figures of 10% to 25% increase in demand are widely accepted.

As regards what drives the change - well elected governments are driving it. Environmental pressure, not just global effects but local pollution are driving it. The people want clean cities and sustainable energy not pollution and burning fossil fuels. PM2.5 is driving this. The dramatic environmental benefits during lockdown last March are driving this - OK short lived but no doubting what happened and why.

We both like our V8's but their days are numbered.

Public transport - depends where you live, but public transport is often the best way to travel. I wouldn't even consider driving a car in to London these days. The average speed of a car in Inner London is 12mph !

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
What so only poor people use public transport !
In the US, in smaller towns and areas outside of the major cities such as NYC or LA, I think that is the case.
I've lived in Europe majority of my life, public system is wonderful. But now living in OH, I virtually don't have a way to get to work without using a car...

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Europe will only ban the registration of new ICE cars from 2030 - old ones can continue until they are scrapped so no loss of available vehicles at the lower end of the price range. BEV batteries last 10 years or more (Ford guarantee 80% range at 8 years) so in reality there will be plenty of other things on a 10 year old car that will result in it being scrapped as there are now.

Infrastructure is developing fast in Europe and certainly in the UK the National Grid does not consider the widespread adoption of EV's to be an unsurmountable problem. UK electricity consumption has been falling for years (Mainly as a result of LED lighting and greater thermal efficiency in homes) so EV demand is only replacing these reductions. Figures of 10% to 25% increase in demand are widely accepted.

As regards what drives the change - well elected governments are driving it. Environmental pressure, not just global effects but local pollution are driving it. The people want clean cities and sustainable energy not pollution and burning fossil fuels. PM2.5 is driving this. The dramatic environmental benefits during lockdown last March are driving this - OK short lived but no doubting what happened and why.

We both like our V8's but their days are numbered.

Public transport - depends where you live, but public transport is often the best way to travel. I wouldn't even consider driving a car in to London these days. The average speed of a car in Inner London is 12mph !
I'm astounded at the number of incandescent bulbs I had to replace when we moved in. Not even CFL's, good old filament burners.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

Until the electric car can be a competitor in the Cannonball run, I won't have much interest. I'm not spending an hour parked to drive another 200 miles.
Sponsored