• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Will Mustang GT have auto start/stop button?

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
A feature I have had on a handful of vehicles and easily turned off with other electronics or Forscan.
Sponsored

Finface

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Red Eye, 2002 WRX Wagon
"Auto Start/stop can save up to 3-10% of fuel per vehicle."

That does add up.

I wonder if having the engine stop and start all the time - city driving, stop and go freeway jam - wears out the starter system?

What might be nice would be a thumb operated button on the steering wheel to enable the driver to opt to stop the engine - with pressing the gas pedal starting it like now. Say you just miss the green light and know you'll be stationary for a couple of minutes. If you don't see a long delay let the engine run. We could push the dash board engine start/stop button to do this, but doesn't that de-energize and re-energize more circuits?

What happens to the air conditioning with enabled start/stop?

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
Does anyone know if the production version of the Mustang GT will have this button? It appears to be the 1st button next to the engine run button. The order guide lists auto start/stop as not available but every car I’ve seen (including Dark Horse) has the button
The short answer is not at the moment... but yes.

This is from the June (I think) order guide
S650 Mustang Will Mustang GT have auto start/stop button? Screen Shot 2023-08-15 at 7.29.57 AM

All of the pre-production photos show it, but the media event cars all had a blank spot on the switch panel. I'm guessing parts availability for start/stop is an issue

Rio Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si

That does add up.

I wonder if having the engine stop and start all the time - city driving, stop and go freeway jam - wears out the starter system?

What might be nice would be a thumb operated button on the steering wheel to enable the driver to opt to stop the engine - with pressing the gas pedal starting it like now. Say you just miss the green light and know you'll be stationary for a couple of minutes. If you don't see a long delay let the engine run. We could push the dash board engine start/stop button to do this, but doesn't that de-energize and re-energize more circuits?

AC still blows, just not as strong nor as cold

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
AC still blows, just not as strong nor as cold

This is not true on any of the vehicles I have had. If you have the AC set to full the Stop/Start will not come on.

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
The order guide page referenced above states standard equipment. The manual transmission is the standard equipment which prevents the ability to have the auto start/stop option. The ecoboost only comes in automatic transmission. It will be an option that can be on automatic GT’s

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
This is not true on any of the vehicles I have had. If you have the AC set to full the Stop/Start will not come on.
My wife’s explorer didn’t have that issue. Full blowing A/C and it still was activated.

Rio Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
My wife’s explorer didn’t have that issue. Full blowing A/C and it still was activated.
In my civic if the set temp and cabin temp are vastly different, the auto stop will not activate. I typically drive in sport so it's disabled anyway.

Rio Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
But what happens to auto stop when the AC is set to moderate fan speed and say 68? The auto stop will activate and your ac fan will still be blowing.

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Both of you are right. It will blow but not as cold, however if you have it set to low then it keeps the engine running.

Finface

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Red Eye, 2002 WRX Wagon
That manual just posted if nicely written! Copy and pasted below. The section on start/stop begins on page 161.

It can be turned off, but you have to do every time you manually start the car.

"Why does the engine not always stop when I expect it to?
The system is designed to work in a way that complements other vehicle systems, allowing them to operate at optimum performance.
The system does not stop the engine if:
  • The driver door is open.
  • Your vehicle is at high altitude.
  • The heated windshield is on.
  • The engine is warming up.
  • The outside temperature is too low or too high.
  • The battery charge is low.
  • The battery temperature is outside the optimal operating range.
  • The engine is required to run to maintain interior climate and reduce fogging."

And, the manual says start/stop does work on a manual transmission. Says you have to put the tranny in neutral.

"STOPPING THE ENGINE - MANUAL TRANSMISSION
  1. Stop your vehicle.
  2. Shift into neutral.
  3. Release the clutch pedal and the accelerator pedal.
Note: To obtain maximum benefit from the system, shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal whenever you stop your vehicle for more than three seconds."

To answer my own question about wear and tear;

"Will the frequent engine starts cause parts to wear out?
Your vehicle has an enhanced battery and starter motor that are designed for the increased number of engine starts."

t4nk3d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 200c AWD, 16 Jetta sport, 14 FLHTK
"Will the frequent engine starts cause parts to wear out?
Your vehicle has an enhanced battery and starter motor that are designed for the increased number of engine starts."
It may have an enhanced battery and starter module but that doesn't mean the engine internals itself are any different. Starting and stopping the engine 2-10x more than normal every day can't be good for the motor imo. We had an escape with the start stop that was the first button I pushed after the engine start button to disable that junk.

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT

That does add up.

The starter and electrical system is designed with the requirements for stop/start in mind. In my experience I have seen no extra issues with the system.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
w
It may have an enhanced battery and starter module but that doesn't mean the engine internals itself are any different. Starting and stopping the engine 2-10x more than normal every day can't be good for the motor imo. We had an escape with the start stop that was the first button I pushed after the engine start button to disable that junk.
While I think auto start/stop is stupid (albeit a clever way around emission regulations) there’s no reason to think the motor would experience any extra wear. It would decrease wear since it’s not running.
Sponsored