• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
You know people are saying their age because of a video talking about why they built the interior because of the age demographic they were going for?
No...it's because of a poster and their comment referring to age and how nobody young would be against thr screens/digital crap lol. It's a joke/retort pattern.
Sponsored

pozi240

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT PP, 21 Bronco Wildtrak, 20 Ranger
It seems like media outlets got a look at the S650 infotainment and digital gauge cluster. The screens look really responsive.

It most definitely is a VERY responsive system because Ford is now using QNX for its interface OS. This is a huge leap over previous interfaces (even Sync 3.4). For those unfamiliar with QNX (owned by Blackberry now), it is RTOS (Real Time Operating System) that is UNiX based and been around since the 80's (think NASA and rockets). It is designed to be highly adaptable and very customizable and since its a RTOS, will not "crash" or freeze... ever. (It can't since it constantly makes real time backups as it is running).
Also, from the early reviewer videos , Ford commissioned Unreal Engine to design the backgrounds and screen layouts, which is very easy to do on QNX. I'm happy to hear they are using that platform since you can do a LOT with that OS and look forward to hacker community playing with new designs once the car is out.
For those not familiar with QNX or any RTOS, here is a link:
QNX - RTOS

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s
I will say I hated the interior of the s550, it was so old and dated. I test drove multiple Mach 1’s but could never get over the dated interior, mainly the sync 3 screen. The digital gauge cluster was nice in the s550.

I love this new interior, and the exterior changes, so much I already have my order for the dark horse in with my dealer. I am 36 so I guess I am the age group they were going after.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It most definitely is a VERY responsive system because Ford is now using QNX for its interface OS. This is a huge leap over previous interfaces (even Sync 3.4). For those unfamiliar with QNX (owned by Blackberry now), it is RTOS (Real Time Operating System) that is UNiX based and been around since the 80's (think NASA and rockets). It is designed to be highly adaptable and very customizable and since its a RTOS, will not "crash" or freeze... ever. (It can't since it constantly makes real time backups as it is running).
Also, from the early reviewer videos , Ford commissioned Unreal Engine to design the backgrounds and screen layouts, which is very easy to do on QNX. I'm happy to hear they are using that platform since you can do a LOT with that OS and look forward to hacker community playing with new designs once the car is out.
For those not familiar with QNX or any RTOS, here is a link:
QNX - RTOS
I'm pretty sure Ford has been using QNX since Sync 3:
https://www.telematicswire.net/ford-sync-3-from-microsoft-to-qnx-and-the-change-is-noticeable/

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Coupe- Magnetic
What if one of the many vendors that supply parts for 2015+ Mustangs were to build a “cowl” as either a 3D print or other molded plastic assembly which could be mounted on this dashtop area to make the screen bezel look more integrated vs standing on it’s own?
S650 Mustang Hands-on reviews: digital gauge cluster, display screens, SYNC 4 -- which media are calling impressive A85DAA8C-8A18-4359-A205-4768528C967B

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Ford commissioned Unreal Engine to design the backgrounds and screen layouts
exactly - you can tell computer weenies did this and as such is festooned with 'game' things like pointless gradients, clutter, and lousy clarity/contrast of informational elements. The design that works for 'flitting glances' is and MUST be dramatically different than a display you can stare at at your leisure.

The dead-space is just hideous and anyone wanna bet the 'base line' of all the displays can NOT be shifted up or down to suit the driver's preferred eyeline?

I can't tell what eg. Motortrend used as a camera, whether it was truly held at eye-height of a 5'8-5'10 male with the seat at such-and-such height (looks more like chest height), with a 50mm equivalent focal-point lens. But I laughed out loud how the steering wheel obstructs the center panel. How do you MISS that?

Last edited:

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
I also think after a year of using this, the S550 set-up will look extremely limited and dated
I can stare at a 60's Mustang/Camaro 'dash' all day long. 80's early 90's "digital"ish displays, not so much.
A 2 year old phone feels like a friggen dinosaur halfway through that second year. By the 4th year, it's nearly unusable and archaic.
Gimme back my Blackberry(s) damn it! It was an actual PHONE, trivial one-handed typing and tactile feedback you could touch-type without looking at the damn thing at all! My Moto E5 (2018) still trucking like it's first day. Doesn't weigh a ton, isn't so gd large to not fit in pockets, etc. Modern phones have completely lost the plot. Why? Chasing the STUPID youth crowd and their gnat-like attention span and incessant worship of one fad after another.

Same mentality has like a swarm of locusts invaded the auto space. What we need is a giant can of RAID. The 'youts' can't afford the cars anyway, so they should go sit down and keep their stupid to themselves. And maybe it'll slowly dawn on them things are done a certain way for damn good reasons dating back more than 6 months.

Yes 50yr old curmudgeon and 'tech' is my business. The giant meteor can't come soon enough and wipe SillyCon Valley off the face of the planet.

Last edited:

Jjr36011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 XLT
I can stare at a 60's Mustang/Camaro 'dash' all day long. 80's early 90's "digital"ish displays, not so much.

Gimme back my Blackberry(s) damn it! It was an actual PHONE, trivial one-handed typing and tactile feedback you could touch-type without looking at the damn thing at all! My Moto E5 (2018) still trucking like it's first day. Doesn't weigh a ton, isn't so gd large to not fit in pockets, etc. Modern phones have completely lost the plot. Why? Chasing the STUPID youth crowd and their gnat-like attention span and incessant worship of one fad after another.

Same mentality has like a swarm of locusts invaded the auto space. What we need is a giant can of RAID. The 'youts' can't afford the cars anyway, so they should go sit down and keep their stupid to themselves. And maybe it'll slowly dawn on them things are done a certain way for damn good reasons dating back more than 6 months.

Yes 50yr old curmudgeon and 'tech' is my business. The giant meteor can't come soon enough and wipe SillyCon Valley off the face of the planet.
Hey I am 31 and work in telecommunications. Ill be getting a mustang to match my 21 f150 XLT powerboost.

The amount of trouble the older group has signing into facebook/emails Im SURE the digital dash/panels aren’t gonna go down easy.🤣

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
exactly - you can tell computer weenies did this and as such is festooned with 'game' things like pointless gradients, clutter, and lousy clarity/contrast of informational elements. The design that works for 'flitting glances' is and MUST be dramatically different than a display you can stare at at your leisure.

The dead-space is just hideous and anyone wanna bet the 'base line' of all the displays can NOT be shifted up or down to suit the driver's preferred eyeline?

I can't tell what eg. Motortrend used as a camera, whether it was truly held at eye-height of a 5'8-5'10 male with the seat at such-and-such height (looks more like chest height), with a 50mm equivalent focal-point lens. But I laughed out loud how the steering wheel obstructs the center panel. How do you MISS that?
Dude...if you look, the entire driver's side display isn't even centered with the bezel and 100% isn't adjustable lol. Post of yhe year, and thanks for getting it.

Another big miss...that blue-ish default backdrop for both screens which I believe is not able to be changed. It should have been black or at least made an option due to contrast/blending in deadspace with the black screens/bezels. So stupid...you get two blue rectangles in large, rounded-off black bezels. It's so jarringly odd to look at once you notice. There really is ZERO blending of the digital elements into the physical surrounds, which would be so easy to fix but I guess not lol.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Hey I am 31 and work in telecommunications. Ill be getting a mustang to match my 21 f150 XLT powerboost.

The amount of trouble the older group has signing into facebook/emails Im SURE the digital dash/panels aren’t gonna go down easy.🤣
Don't confuse age with experience. Everything in life progresses. In the future, your grandchildren will probably ask you what is an Ipad.

Desmodeous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6, 2006 F150
As trashy of a display disaster this is, remember; this is after you pay thousands of dollars to upgrade from the base version!

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Want to know maybe the worst part? Those "80s inspired" buttons which replaced the cool toggles, well they aren't even individual buttons as part of a panel. It's all one big piece of plastic with individual trip switches underneith it, so the whole entire thing moves inward when you push any of the individual sections marked for functions...so cheap, so stupid. Wonder how much they saved using one giant piece of plastic vs individual buttons...

3:41 in the video... boy that looks cheap...
What an aweful designchoice that was...

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT 2022
I will say I hated the interior of the s550, it was so old and dated. I test drove multiple Mach 1’s but could never get over the dated interior, mainly the sync 3 screen. The digital gauge cluster was nice in the s550.

I love this new interior, and the exterior changes, so much I already have my order for the dark horse in with my dealer. I am 36 so I guess I am the age group they were going after.
The Sync 3 does look a little outdated, but its practical. Not more or less any of the asian rental cars I am driving lately when traveling (work related). The 550 is a fine car when 401A equipped.
Sponsored