• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Will Dark Horse be an allocated package?

Mulletdaddee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 06 mustang drift car
I think one of the worst things Ford could do right now is make the Dark Horse an “allocated” package which as we all know means dealerships are only allowed so many and in turn will result in continued abuse of pricing with ridiculous markups. It really sucks seeing something so exciting becoming nothing more than a pipe dream because stealerships will almost certainly be trying to charge over $10k and more for these cars. Hopefully ford sees the light and let’s dealerships order as many Dark horses as they can sell. This would definitely make it easier for us enthusiast to enjoy their product.
S650 Mustang Will Dark Horse be an allocated package? 579D5937-AA94-4317-8FBC-7AE61DC324B1
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
I believe its going to be like a PP2 package...I hope anyway.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I believe its going to be like a PP2 package...I hope anyway.
Nope, the Dark House is supposed to be a model, not a package. Like the Bullitt and Mach 1. The will also be sub models like the “S” & “R”. No indication that it is going to be limited but that will not stop some dealers with playing with ADM‘s.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope, the Dark House is supposed to be a model, not a package. Like the Bullitt and Mach 1. The will also be sub models like the “S” & “R”. No indication that it is going to be limited but that will not stop some dealers with playing with ADM‘s.

Bummer...although hopefully dealers like Chapman and others will offer deals. I just read the R and S are motorsport only...

Last edited:

VooDooGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350 Shadow Black, 2021 Ford Bronco
Bummer...although hopefully dealers like Chapman and others will offer deals. I just read the R and S are motorsport only...
I just wish the dealers dont treat the S650 like they did with the Bronco, have workers "purchase" the retail units and trade them in to have the status change to a used mustang, then jack the prices through the roof.

I was stationed with the Tropic Lightning, years back, and i dont miss East Range lol

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Every Ford vehicle of any kind requires an allocation to be built. Allocations are gifted based on previous sales. Dealers who have sold more vehicles previously are in-effect, closer to the front than others. However, this presents its own problems. Taking so many orders and then later supply chain issues can delay the receipt of customer vehicles; we witnessed this with some dealers and their Mustang orders.

Enclosed is a link explaining the process in detail:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1646540-how-does-a-dealer-allocation-work-when-ordering.html

I'm not implying the DH will be "limited" like the GT500, but dealers will have to have an allocation for a Mustang for the order to go through. There's no indication the DH will be anything other than like the EcoBoost, GT or Mach 1 ordering (i.e., normal).

Note: at the start of the order process, my dealer used the words "allocation" and "limited" to support an initial ADM. I used the information gleaned from these forums to show I knew better. With further negotiation, the ADM was eventually removed.

For the overwhelming majority of dealers, the allocation/order process is NOT an issue. At the extremes, those who order few Mustangs, or those who order a lot, it can be. Dealers who don't order many Mustangs may be waiting or even be unsure of how to navigate the allocation/order process correctly. Dealers who order a lot of Mustangs may have a huge backorder when/if supply issues arise.

In the Mustang 6G forums, there's an order thread for the Mach 1; this will highlight a lot of what we dealt with.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2022-official-mach-1-order-tracking-thread.167381/

I have no insight to pricing. It's a safe bet the S650 will be higher than MY22 and '23. Ford has been increasing the pricing of some vehicles by thousands of dollars. ADMs? Mach 1 mark-ups in many areas of $5-10K are common; sometimes these can be negotiated down, sometimes not. But the economy will be different next year when order banks open; it's already cooling off in some sectors.

Price Protection? Yet another topic worth studying is Ford's Price Protection program. Ford had at least two price increases mid-stream in MY22, and one increase in transportation/devlivery, due to fuel prices. When discussing an order, confirm your dealer supports Price Protection. A handful of dealers do not.

In MY22, if you placed an order for a Mustang in your name and took receipt of the car in your name, Ford afforded you Price Protection. The buyer paid what was originally agreed to, that they signed for at the beginning. The dealer took the monies, and, still short, applied for an received the difference in pricing from Ford. Ford, because of material and/or labor costs, ate the difference.

Finally, when placing your order, at a minimum, sign and take receipt of something indicating the price of the vehicle. If you can lock everything in with a formal purchase agreement, so much the better.

The words "invoice" price will sometimes be used when placing an order. "We sell at invoice." Some dealers do. But if you placed an order for invoice, and the invoice price increase/moved against you mid-stream, you'll might be offered the car, at the increased invoice price. See 1% dealers above. for some members, the received "invoice" price was approaching or at what was MSRP price at the start of MY22. Some dealers selling at invoice honored the initial, original invoice price (Price Protection). A handful did not.

Sorry for the long post. Good news is, there's plenty of time to study the process and details before walking in.

Last edited:

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT 10Sp Auto
In Australia, Ford officially describe the Dark Horse as a "Special Edition" ..."with a "Limited Volume Run", and clearly NOT with the same Dealer Allocation and availability of the GT or EchoBoost. This may or may not be indicative of the scenario in the US -to coin a cliche', time will tell.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just wish the dealers dont treat the S650 like they did with the Bronco, have workers "purchase" the retail units and trade them in to have the status change to a used mustang, then jack the prices through the roof.

I was stationed with the Tropic Lightning, years back, and i dont miss East Range lol

Sorry didn't see this until now. East Range I didn't mind, but the Kahukus and the Big Island, well that's another story. We're you 11B? I was B Co 1/14th Infantry Golden Dragons.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
Multiple dealers that I contacted told me that there will be a premium. One was talking $15K.

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Multiple dealers that I contacted told me that there will be a premium. One was talking $15K.
Look around and you'll find one selling MSRP. There are at least 2 dealers on here that already said they won't

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
So my question with the Dark donkey. Will this be a limited car? I guess the Mach 1 technically is and we can certainly get them. Is that the same expectations with the donkey?

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
So my question with the Dark donkey. Will this be a limited car? I guess the Mach 1 technically is and we can certainly get them. Is that the same expectations with the donkey?
It will be as limited as the Bullitt or the Mach 1... 'Limited until we decide not to built any other...'

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14' Honda Civic EX; 14' Honda VFR800 DLX
You know...the limited availability and allotments were never a problem for me...

The uptick on the finance rate, though? Yeah...not a fan...

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Not to be a rumor spreader, or the bearer of bad news, but the GM at a dealership in TN last weekend told me they heard dark horse would get similar allocations to the Raptor R.

Y'all can curse me later if that turns out to be false. Like everything else here, take with a grain of salt.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Not to be a rumor spreader, or the bearer of bad news, but the GM at a dealership in TN last weekend told me they heard dark horse would get similar allocations to the Raptor R.

Y'all can curse me later if that turns out to be false. Like everything else here, take with a grain of salt.
And who did the GM hear it from? The tooth fairy? :crackup: :cwl:
Sponsored