• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
No offense meant, but I hope they never put an Eco V6 in a Mustang. You could always build your own though!
Why? Ford already offers the mustang with an Ecoboost 4 cyl and most fans are fine with it. If Ford made the base engine something like the 2.7 instead with 350-400 hp that would be awesome. It would be far more powerful while still be affordable and reliable, without stepping on the 5.0's toes as long as ford continued to upgrade the 5.0.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Why? Ford already offers the mustang with an Ecoboost 4 cyl and most fans are fine with it. If Ford made the base engine something like the 2.7 instead with 350-400 hp that would be awesome. It would be far more powerful while still be affordable and reliable, without stepping on the 5.0's toes as long as ford continued to upgrade the 5.0.
Realistically a V6 would be a replacement for the V8 especially in hybrid form. I doubt we will see another three engine IC lineup like we did between 15’ & 17’.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
2.3 is for the younger crowd who can't afford a GT, or for the secretary types who wouldn't know what to do with the power. GT fills the power hungry group, and gives a nice platform to start with. A V6 EB would be like the awkward middle child.

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Yes, no V8, no Mustang. 2018 was the first Mustang that I really wanted. I will not buy a Mustang without a thumping V8. Zero interest. Not with a V6EB, not with a 1000HP AWD electric drivetrain.
I honestly struggle to see you as a real mustang fan if the 18 refresh was the first mustang you wanted. I'd have no problem with ford dropping their TT V6 hybrid from the F150 into the mustang, even if it meant the V8 wasn't the top trim

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
Realistically a V6 would be a replacement for the V8 especially in hybrid form. I doubt we will see another three engine IC lineup like we did between 15’ & 17’.
I'd buy a V8 hybrid, not V6 hybrid. The day they get rid of V8's is a day I'll never buy another Mustang.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
I honestly struggle to see you as a real mustang fan if the 18 refresh was the first mustang you wanted.
The S550 was the first mustang I ever wanted (ignoring <72 cause I wasn't born yet). The S197 was getting there but all the previous gen looked like utter shite. I can tolerate looking at SN95 but I'll never own one.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
I honestly struggle to see you as a real mustang fan if the 18 refresh was the first mustang you wanted. I'd have no problem with ford dropping their TT V6 hybrid from the F150 into the mustang, even if it meant the V8 wasn't the top trim
First Mustang I wanted enough to buy new. I wanted another Lightning, but Ford never made another after 04, until they decided to make it an EV. Not ready to leap into EV's yet.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
2.3 is for the younger crowd who can't afford a GT,
Well that certainly isn’t true. I bought my 15’ EB as a daily when I was traveling 75 miles a day for work. I was 63 at the time and could certainly afford a GT. It was a personal choice. Denigrating someone for not buying a V8 is not a good look.

or for the secretary types who wouldn't know what to do with the power.
Alright, the hat trick. The young, the economically challenged (very pc there :giggle:) and woman. Keep going Lloyd.

GT fills the power hungry group, and gives a nice platform to start with. A V6 EB would be like the awkward middle child.
If there is to be a third engine choice for the S650 it would be a V6 EB hybrid. Honestly at that point they could drop the I4 but not everyone would want a hybrid.

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Well that certainly isn’t true. I bought my 15’ EB as a daily when I was traveling 75 miles a day for work. I was 63 at the time and could certainly afford a GT. It was a personal choice. Denigrating someone for not buying a V8 is not a good look.

Alright, the hat trick. The young, the economically challenged (very pc there
S650 Mustang 6/1/22 unveil for S650 Mustang or something else? giggle
) and woman
. Keep going Lloyd.

If there is to be a third engine choice for the S650 it would be a V6 EB hybrid. Honestly at that point they could drop the I4 but not everyone would want a hybrid.

I think we all have a blindspots when making such statements, as there are so many examples as to why in that respect. I grew up well, but adjacent to that upbringing I've made a hell of a lot of bad financial decisions because of cars and my unchecked expensive taste, biting a very bitter pill getting into a decked out brand new S550 MGTPPP in the first place.

My reasoning like maybe @LSchicago , I am willing to pass on a Mustang if I cannot get a strictly required set of parameters met by it.

I don't enjoy an automatic Mustang much at all nor non-V8s in this segment. I'd rather take a Challenger Pentastar first or an Asian offering, if a V8 is not offered.

I don't care for the 2.3T over many other segment choices and higher models.

The Ecoboost and V6 have been just alternatives to 4-6 cylinder imports and just no longer fit the character and image curated by the American automotive scene. To generally get in the buyer, who wants the styling, but in a cheaper package.

People who skip past the V8s/GT, generally want a stylish, American commuter no matter their gender and don't want to make a fuss like gearheads.

Those who have sold themselves into the idea they must have a Mustang at all costs, yet are heavily into performance and go for a 2.3T or 3.7, often make me scratch my head and are often the annoying imbeciles in many respects, with their cheap aftermarket exhaust mods or muffler deletes droning past my house at 2AM.

I'm a pretty nerdy tech geek and quite the anomaly in terms of Mustang GT drivers, which manifests in a Jekyll Hyde nature.

The car just spoke to me more with the 2005 as a young teen in 2003-04 and just kept being designed around my demands as the years went by.

I predicted what I wanted in a 6th generation and Ford absolutely delivered it. It was almost like I designed it myself, which is rare in many cases for me with many automakers. Nothing but a GT V8 would do, as I never cared for the overkill of a Shelby.

Ford knows what I want in a product to the point I have little annoyances, outside of bad customer service.

The nicest Ecoboost is still a pretty cool car at its core and so are some pre-MCA Cyclone V6 cars I've come across, but nothing else represents Mustang for me than a V8 under the hood, 2-door fastback profile (or similar), and signature exhaust note, mated to a row your own or high quality auto-shifting unit. Preferably 6 forward gears.

I recently drove a modified 2019 GT 10AT at length 6 weeks ago and it sold that point even more for me on the V8.

I did realize that faster 0-60 didn't do much and paddle shifting is not for me. Only makes sense in a drag race.

I would have to get an out of this world borderline exotic interpretation, if Ford is forced to abandon the traditional Mustang formula and ditch a V8. Loss of the manual and V8 will do me in mostly, because the stakes will be much higher, when everyone is doing the same thing (BEV) and you need to stand out.

Anyone who looks past the Mustang GT and isn't doing so based stepping up a level, typically isn't able to afford/justify it, maybe dislikes V8s and the often associated "hardcore" image. (Unlike the more subtle Ecoboost)

Or influenced by the stereotypes and societal habits, which often alienate other demographics. I welcome women who love Mustang GTs and embrace ownership, in spite of these stupid stereotypes which often repel many away from them.

But more often than not, I do find women already encounter discouragement from societal forced "norms" and find among their own peers, such a vehicle to be in opposition to their image.

A teacher of mine at my top (local) high school, was head of her department already at 28 and her dad was a well known local radio jock. All the boys at school fought to get into her 11th grade class and had eyes for her.

From 1996/97 into the 2010s, she consistently drove Mustang GT convertibles, the first few courtesy of him. From OG SN95 to New Edge to S197s, she never skipped a beat.

She commented on this experience often, on how she was annoyed at being typically the only YOUNG female who cared enough to want the bigger engine. She either had her own gal pals either embracing that unique taste or pigeonholing her on driving that kind of V8 against a more elegant non-pony/muscle car. Like how it's such a waste and so impractical. Or tacky or just trying too hard to be in with the guys.

I think because of her, I learned a bit more about first gen S197s and other generations. Everything was a history lesson for her.

So whether it's other women chastising loud and "obnoxious" V8 pony cars as too butch or chauvinists disregarding the credibility of women's enthusiasm for high performance cars, to me it results in less of them often buying those vehicles or avoiding anything that can come across as hyper masculine to peers.

It's a pattern that's already set in society and thus, you do rarely come across a greater proportion of female buyers who insist on that configuration over a V6 or an Ecoboost, if they even consider a Mustang at all.

I don't think LSChicago is wrong for saying that, as the bigger picture is how the image of the V8 performance car is seen as brutish and too much of boys club, giving younger women pause to be part of it, unless they've gotten older and no longer give a damn about society's opinion.

To me, many male gearheads would rather get an import with 4-6 cylinders, if a S550 GT or Shelby doesn't make sense to them. The Mustang heritage became too V8-focused and international sales prove my point strongly. You bought an Ecoboost in spite of your comfortable finances, because it made sense to you. You are the exception in terms of hardcore Mustang enthusiasts. The car's stereotypical image speaks for itself.

More often than not, it is the price or cost to maintain a Coyote for many buyers, which includes insuring and refueling, pushing people towards base offerings.

One often saw people who went for an Ecoboost or Cyclone V6, ending up in Coyote ultimately or GT350 in some rare cases. They never were never content and similar happens with Camaros and Challengers.

I would delay a Mustang or etc, if I cannot meet the requirements for a GT Premium, Hemi, or LT1.

Locally for me, Mustangs are very popular in the Southwest amongst young Latinos, whereas I see less of other young demographics driving them across America and more into other types of cars.

I always ask myself why Mustang sales are declining, when so many guys and gals buy them locally here? Maybe it's the coasts or Middle America buying less of them.

And yes, I can tell if a car is used or new.

Last edited:

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
I always ask myself why Mustang sales are declining, when so many guys and gals buy them locally here? Maybe it's the coasts or Middle America buying less of them.
I think you'll find your local 'hot spot' for sales, is hardly hot, and is declining like everywhere else.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

Alright, the hat trick. The young, the economically challenged (very pc there :giggle:) and woman. Keep going Lloyd.

1. you might be an exception for your choice of eco boost if that’s really why it went down, but generally, the reason people downgrade from the GT is for economic reasons.

2. in his defense, not everyone cares about being “woke” or “PC” as it often doesn’t reflect the real world. And it seems that increasingly, wokeism is becoming more and more simply a meme that has seen better days. You don’t want to be the “woke Karen” of the M7G board. Also, the OG Mustang was referred to as a”secretary car.” So there’s that. He wasn’t saying what you are purporting. But you knew that already.

3. the engine lineup for forthcoming Mustangs will be interesting. I suspect Ford will keep some level of hybrid v8 alive for perceived “heart and Soul” reasons even if pure electric might be the simpler and easier option. No doubt electric will feature in a big way and it may be the only option after a while, but the v8 getting replaced by a 6, turbo or no would be a big mistake.

Last edited:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
It's the last V8 powered Ford car. A tradition and instant hit since 1932. They should keep a V8 Mustang at least 10 more years, Then they can go out with a V8 100TH anniversary model. My first 6 cars bought were all big block V8's. When V8 cars cease to exist, I won't buy another new car.

Marty1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD: 2016 Mustang V6
Just like LSchicago I also feel the V8 engine is what Mustang is all about over the years. However, there is no question in my mind that the days are numbered for the V8. Sadly given the SUV/CUV/Pickup craze I think sports cars sales numbers over the years are loosing market share. Take a peek at the Detroit News chart cut from 2011 and the sales numbers for last year 2021. The Challenger is now outselling the mustang and it is old school sports car?? What is going on in the market?

S650 Mustang 6/1/22 unveil for S650 Mustang or something else? muscle_car_chart

S650 Mustang 6/1/22 unveil for S650 Mustang or something else? 2021_sales