• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

The V8 - S650 and beyond

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
"Ford has admitted that it has a serious problem with the coming Mustang that it cannot seem to figure out.
With the new-generation S650-series Mustang set to surface globally within the next 12 months, the Detroit-based product planners are fast approaching a decision that can make or break the legendary sports car moving forward.
Speaking to the Australian media in South Australia late last month, Ford Performance chief engineer, Carl Widmann, revealed that the problem with the future Mustang is also core to what makes the series so popular with sports car buyers around the world ā€“ its V8 engine.

More specifically, the issue is whether to keep developing the iconic V8 during and beyond the coming seventh-generation iteration in the face of ever-increasing emissions and fuel consumption targets in key markets, especially in Western Europe, where sales of the existing S550 version have been strong in countries like Germany.

ā€œThe V8 wonā€™t be going away any time soon,ā€ Mr Widmann said. ā€œMustang buyers expect a V8, right?

ā€œWe know we can make a V6 with twin turbos that would be faster and more powerful than any V8 nowadays, but is that what Mustang fans really want?ā€

Of course, it needs to be made abundantly clear right now that the new S650 Mustang will continue with a V8 option for several years to come."

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-ne...elFF56b1oKI3AlBQODh_HDxGPxzFIdnnwCChSPtLw7FtU
Sponsored

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'd have thought......or hoped, the hybrid tech would keep the V8 around in markets where it'd be tough without it (mainly Europe).

But if Ford want some feedback, then lets give it to them!

Please Ford, keep the V8 around for the 7th AND 8th Gen Mustangs!!

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Thank you Ford but no thank you if you offer a 600hp V6. I can buy that from BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi... Just insert a name and they'll offer a TT V6 (or any form of 6 cylinder). I also don't want a 4L V8 but rather a 5.0 better 5.2 or even better 6+ liter engine. It also doesn't have to be super fast. Let's face it, with the given budget you cannot beat BMW or any European brand that offers performance. However, just build an iconic car that has an iconic sound and offers an iconic driving experience.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
As an EcoBoost owner who is enjoying the Mustang experience thus far (going three years in August), YES PLEASE, keep the V8 for the Mustang as long as possible! If I can't get a hybrid and/or AWD in it, at least keep the V8 around.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Yeah I don't think the v8 is going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, I think it's safe to assume the v8 will be offered even in a zero emissions future if they produce a hydrogen version. While there will clearly come a day a decade or two from now when ICE cars have died off for the most part, who's to say ford won't offer a hydrogen fueled v8. Would still be essentially zero emissions while still have ICE like characteristics, a win-win I say. Offer EVs for most consumers, hydrogen for those who want an experience closer to ICE.

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Ford knows the V8 is at the heart of the Mustang.
There is a soul in the sound/feel that cannot be had in other engine configurations or electrification no matter how much more efficient or fast they are.

It remains to be seen if it becomes more of a specialty engine in a lower volume form.
If people keep buying them, they will continue to make them.

As long as you see it in the F-150, I wouldn't worry about it not being in the Mustang.
If you don't see it as an option in the F-150, then start to be concerned a bit.

If it can't stay a NA 5.0+L, I wouldn't be opposed to a slightly smaller turbo'd V8.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Honestly, if they go with a turbo six, Iā€™m probably out. Too many TTV6s and TTI6s on the market. Far more concerned about the sound and character than the additional performance.

Hope they push for smaller displacement V8 coupled to a hybrid or turbocharged setup.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I did think it was a bit of an odd comment that Ford don't know what to do as I'm sure plans for the V8 in S650 would have been set a number of years back. However, 8th Gen/S750 I guess is where there planning is at the moment.

However, perhaps even Team Mustang have been surprised at the very quick migration to EVs. Sadly much of this is down to legislation rather than consumer demand (in my opinion, and at least as far as Europe is concerned).

Ford will have also learned from the Mach E. The loyal Mustangs fans were, and still are, VERY vocal on the subject of what makes a Mustang a Mustang. And a HUGE part of that, to the purists at least, is a V8 engine.

I own both a V6 and a V8 Mustang but if I could have only one, it'd be the V8. It's the one with more soul. More character. It's the one that makes kids put their thumbs up when they see it. It's the one that stirs my soul.

So, whilst I'd happily see a hybrid or even a full EV Mustang Fastback/convertible, I want there to be a V8 option for as long as Ford are allowed to sell them.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Ford will have also learned from the Mach E. The loyal Mustangs fans were, and still are, VERY vocal on the subject of what makes a Mustang a Mustang. And a HUGE part of that, to the purists at least, is a V8 engine.
It's affordable MT V8 that is the soul of the Mustang is not just the V8. It's supposed to be an exotic car for the masses. A secretary's car if you will. It's a car that you can take to the office or shopping but also enjoy on a Sunday drive or a weekend getaway. It's the dream of an ocean drive or open desert road. It's the place where it's just you and the glorious sound of a V8 engine. It's that sparkle in a little's boy eyes when he see your car passing by. It's what makes America great. You can define a Mustang with just 1 word Freedom. But it's also so much more than that. It's also 58 years of history of V8 race cars trying to win it all. It's that Henry Ford 2nd dream of winning everything and beating Ferrari. It's Carroll Shelby's legacy in making a car redefine what is possible in terms of performance. It's an obtainable American Dream the kind that require you to work hard despite everyone telling you it can't be done. It's what makes you wake up in the morning. And what wakes up your whole neighbourhood in the morning. It's that moment when you rev it out on the red light. It's that thrill every time you drive it. It's affordable MT V8. It's that iconic shape. It's a Mustang.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
ā€œWe know we can make a V6 with twin turbos that would be faster and more powerful than any V8 nowadays, but is that what Mustang fans really want?ā€
Except that they actually can't. They are assuming no boost on the V8. Put twin turbos or proper supercharger on the V8, and that little V6 becomes a toy.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'd still take a normally aspirated V8 over a TT version (despite my username........blame my old 300zx !!)...........TT's would mute the glorious V8 noise. Call me a heathen, but I don't like supercharger whine, either, for the same reason.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I'd still take a normally aspirated V8 over a TT version (despite my username........blame my old 300zx !!)...........TT's would mute the glorious V8 noise. Call me a heathen, but I don't like supercharger whine, either, for the same reason.
The NA 5.0 is a perfect canvas. Leave it as is, Do FBO, or boost. Just do what makes you happy. I opted for a P1X Procharger myself.

Ruin

Scouts Out!
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.froglevelbrewing.com
Vehicle(s)
15: GT/PP - TY

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
The NA 5.0 is a perfect canvas. Leave it as is, Do FBO, or boost. Just do what makes you happy. I opted for a P1X Procharger myself.
Agreed, I've always said that the 5.0 is like the offspring of an old school American v8, and a 2jz. It has the American character to it, but it's also very durable and easy to tune to insane power levels. Truly a perfect engine as you said.