• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Wireless Charger Problems?

RadBadChad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang V6, 24 GT
Does the wireless charger make your phone really hot and barely charge your phone at all? Or is it just me?
Sponsored

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Does the wireless charger make your phone really hot and barely charge your phone at all? Or is it just me?
I doesn't make my phone hot, but it does charge very slowly.

I have a Samsung Android, BTW...

packfan021488

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Shadow Black GT PP
yeah this happens to me but to be fair this also happens when I use my wireless charger at home as well so I can't blame the car. Wireless charging is a cool thing in theory but the technology isn't without it's flaws.

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
It's pointless asking Samsung, Apple, Orange etc.

Irrespective of brand/model, effective wireless charging relies on the phone back being closely coupled to the chargers front face with minimal distance in between.

If you have thick phone cases (and remember, we're only concerned with the distance between rear face of phone and front face of charger) then this will increase the distance between them and degrade the ability to charge via the physical gap.

So, unless you mention phone case etc, how long is a piece of string?

If you have a case fitted to your phone, remove it.
Does that make a difference to the charging?

OP
OP
RadBadChad

RadBadChad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang V6, 24 GT
I have a samsung z fold 5 it has the basic case with the kick stand. That probably has something to do with it.

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
My wife has a Hyundai Palisade and it has the same issue. I have an iPhone 14 Pro. Tried it with the leather apple case and with out a case. Still gets super warm / hot and charges very slow. We just don't use it. Got a 12v USB-C x2 plug adapter and two USB-C to Lightning cables and done. I would rather be able to only depend on the wireless, but its not an option in a vehicle I have been in.

ShaBoingBoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti G37
Happens to me. Takes a while to charge and phone gets hot to the point where I can’t use the flashlight after. Better than buying new cables every few months I guess

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Depends on the wattage. My wireless OnePlus charger is a 60w unit, charges basically as fast as cable. I'm guessing most car manufacturers are not putting anything higher than a 20w in their cars. Last I checked Teslas were only at 15w.

Pyroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
Mine gets very hot! I think it's a combo of the android auto or Apple car play being connected and multiple apps running. I usually have Waze and Spotify running. When is on the charger at the same time it gets really hot. I have taken it off the charger for an entire drive and it still gets hot. Next time I go out I will turn off android auto and set it on charger to see if there's a difference.

Also the back of the dash screens get very hot. Has anyone noticed? And no it wasn't on a hot sunny day, cool and cloudy. Worried this might be a problem in the future.

Back2Gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Mine gets really hot. Also If my phone isn't sitting in the exact position on the pad it won't charge.

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It's almost always the case that's the problem.
Some cases are thick, some have a metal plate for magnet holding.

If you want to be sure, try taking the phone out of the case and see if it charges faster and cooler.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
This is a known issue. Doesn't matter the phone case, the phone will get really hot when charging and will hardly charge no matter which phone brand it is.

There is a replacement/upgrade for the Bronco because of this same issue. Just have to see if the person makes on for the Mustang.

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
Agree, it's the car. My phone charges wirelessly at home without heating up. In the car, it gets very hot and charges very slowly.

OP
OP
RadBadChad

RadBadChad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang V6, 24 GT
This is a known issue. Doesn't matter the phone case, the phone will get really hot when charging and will hardly charge no matter which phone brand it is.

There is a replacement/upgrade for the Bronco because of this same issue. Just have to see if the person makes on for the Mustang.
Yeah I took it out of the case and it still got hot. We'll just have to wait for a replacement.
Sponsored