• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Will Tremec transmission be a deal breaker?

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ecoboost
I’ll probably get the 10 speed since the gf will probably want to drive if it’s the MT82. But if it’s the Tremec I’ll get us both manual lessons lol.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
17 posts in and we haven't seen a single shaved ape come in with the "you can't drive" posts when discussing the MT82.

The MT is garbage. Ford cleaned up some glaring design deficiencies with the new gen, but the quality control issues are still very much there.

The Tremecs are just in a better class of row boxes. You don't hear very much out of the 3160 or the 6060 crowd, because they're better designed and just better assembled.

I know guys who've driven manuals their whole life and had nothing but problems with multiple MT82's and I've seen 19 year olds who have more time in a dentist chair than with a clutch beat on theirs endlessly with no issue (and everything in between). Thus is the nature of bad quality control. Driving skill and habits and use get a vote, but with the MT82 it's more about luck of the draw and whether you have a defect unit than anything else.

The reason I bring this up is that the internet is LITTTERED with threads and discussions about broken MT's, high rpms grind out/lockout, etc, etc and they almost always end up between the idiots who claim "you just can't drive bro" and the guys who've been burned by Ford/Getrag.

When corrosion pockets develop under your paint, no one says "bro, you just don't know how to wash your car." When your A/C compressor takes a shit, no one says "bro, you obviously just can't turn the A/C knob correctly."

Shame on Ford for renewing their relationship with Getrag. It's garbage with dumpster juice sprinkled on top.

If you buy one, just know it's a roll of the dice. Might have no issues. Might have nothing BUT issues.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
17 posts in and we haven't seen a single shaved ape come in with the "you can't drive" posts when discussing the MT82.
Well said.

Is it possible that driver error plays a role in MT82 failures? Yes, sure, it's possible.

But is it more probable that the MT82 is straight garbage? Also yes.

dvercs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost HPP

The MT is garbage. Ford cleaned up some glaring design deficiencies with the new gen, but the quality control issues are still very much there.

The Tremecs are just in a better class of row boxes. You don't hear very much out of the 3160 or the 6060 crowd, because they're better designed and just better assembled.

I know guys who've driven manuals their whole life and had nothing but problems with multiple MT82's and I've seen 19 year olds who have more time in a dentist chair than with a clutch beat on theirs endlessly with no issue (and everything in between). Thus is the nature of bad quality control. Driving skill and habits and use get a vote, but with the MT82 it's more about luck of the draw and whether you have a defect unit than anything else.

The reason I bring this up is that the internet is LITTTERED with threads and discussions about broken MT's, high rpms grind out/lockout, etc, etc and they almost always end up between the idiots who claim "you just can't drive bro" and the guys who've been burned by Ford/Getrag.

When corrosion pockets develop under your paint, no one says "bro, you just don't know how to wash your car." When your A/C compressor takes a shit, no one says "bro, you obviously just can't turn the A/C knob correctly."

Shame on Ford for renewing their relationship with Getrag. It's garbage with dumpster juice sprinkled on top.

If you buy one, just know it's a roll of the dice. Might have no issues. Might have nothing BUT issues.
I'm a long-time lurker and I finally made an account so I could like this comment.

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco

As an owner of two Getrag transmissions (Mustang and Bronco), I agree that they are less robust than a Tremec and a roll of the dice. I think all new cars are a roll of the dice though and sometimes you get burned with a dud. There are bad Tremecs too, just not as many as bad Getrags.

There are always trade offs. You could have gotten a Tremec and a better track car for less money with an SS 1LE, but you also get the ugliest Camaro ever made. You can get a Tremec in a good looking boat that can’t handle to save your life with a Challenger. In the end though, who won the war? Mustang. So, it’s hard to say Ford was wrong to go with the Getrag. The money they saved helped to continue to justify a relatively low volume vehicle that others have already cut and allowed Ford to put that money into handling and track performance.

Maybe there will be some magic fairy dust that allows the S650 to not have to deal with cost and physics challenges, but the new Mustang will likely make compromises so average Joes like me can afford one. And I’ll be happy to do so, even if I have to deal with another fragile Getrag.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe
As a MT82 owner, I can confidently say that I prefer the feel and manners of the ZF S5-42 that's in my 1993 F250. That is NOT me saying I wish my car had a truck trans instead. I just find myself enjoying the transmission in the truck more than the MT82 in my 17 GT, and I think that lends some perspective on how awful the MT82 is. I have found that most people that have really enjoyed the MT82 tend to have no other manual trans experience to compare it to. Now, if you have driven other manuals and the MT82 does genuinely feel good to you, then more power to you. But to me, the MT82 has nothing on a well-designed trans with a direct mount shifter.

That being said, I really do hope the new mustangs come with a tremec variant, but I'm not holding my breath. Historically, Ford tends to stick to their guns pretty hard when it comes to contracts with other production companies.

Kidd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/PP1 Rapid Red

Well said. I am one of those people that have owned many manual transmission vehicles throughout my life and NEVER had an issue with one until my 2020 GT. I had a 2001 Dodge Dakota with 3.9 and a 5 speed that I would NLS and it never gave me any issues! The MT82 is pure garbage and nobody will change my mind on that. I bought my car new and it has 13k miles on it with just a tune and I’ve broken two mt82s. When the new replacement is put in this car will either be sold or get a T56 when Tremec releases the one to work with the magride and DS rev matching.

Chris Edwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It would definitely not be a deal breaker for me. In my experience the MT-82 is kinda like the T5 transmissions that the fox bodies had. If you abuse them, they will break. If you respect them, they will last. I know sooooooooooooooo many 10 second S550's with Whipple's and MT-82's. Not to mention the fox body guys love them for Coyote swaps.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT with Premium and Track Package
Just wondering if anyone will pass on the S650 if it still has the MT-82. I will only buy the new GT if it has the tremec. Am I the only one?
I honestly haven't had any issues with mine, and I periodically track my S550. I agree with others that it isn't the smoothest shifting unit that I've ever driven, but I still think that this has more to do with the shifting mechanism than the unit itself. After the trans is warmed up, it seems to be fine.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT with Premium and Track Package
As a MT82 owner, I can confidently say that I prefer the feel and manners of the ZF S5-42 that's in my 1993 F250. That is NOT me saying I wish my car had a truck trans instead. I just find myself enjoying the transmission in the truck more than the MT82 in my 17 GT, and I think that lends some perspective on how awful the MT82 is. I have found that most people that have really enjoyed the MT82 tend to have no other manual trans experience to compare it to. Now, if you have driven other manuals and the MT82 does genuinely feel good to you, then more power to you. But to me, the MT82 has nothing on a well-designed trans with a direct mount shifter.

That being said, I really do hope the new mustangs come with a tremec variant, but I'm not holding my breath. Historically, Ford tends to stick to their guns pretty hard when it comes to contracts with other production companies.
I would disagree with your "only having one manual transmission vehicle to make the MT 82 assessment. I have an '85 5 speed as well as a Focus ST. I have also had others in the past as well as driven other friends vehicles. Currently I'd rank the Focus an 8 or a 9 on a 10 scale, and both Mustangs as 7's. As I said before, not the worst I've driven, but certainly not the best. I may be one of the lucky ones when it comes to quality control issues...if so I'm sure this has tainted my objectivity.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe
I would disagree with your "only having one manual transmission vehicle to make the MT 82 assessment. I have an '85 5 speed as well as a Focus ST. I have also had others in the past as well as driven other friends vehicles. Currently I'd rank the Focus an 8 or a 9 on a 10 scale, and both Mustangs as 7's. As I said before, not the worst I've driven, but certainly not the best. I may be one of the lucky ones when it comes to quality control issues...if so I'm sure this has tainted my objectivity.
This is why I specifically said that most people that say the MT82 is great seem to lack comparative experience with other transmissions, but not all. And I also said that if you have that experience and still like the MT82, more power to you. Everyone has a different preference. What one guy feels is a poorly designed transmission with awkward gear spacing and terrible shifter feel, another guy may prefer that same transmission over every other manual that he’s owner previously. I’m sure if you take someone that’s exclusively driven 1990-2010 Civics/Fusions/etc that have those god awful cable shifters and put them in a new mustang with the MT82, it’ll probably feel like the best transmission ever built to them. But after experiencing much higher quality tremecs, I don’t have much praise for the MT82. All I can say is it does the job, and gear 3-4 feels very fun (albeit its a bit to short as it is)

Fortnutgamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Just wondering if anyone will pass on the S650 if it still has the MT-82. I will only buy the new GT if it has the tremec. Am I the only one?
As a Mach 1 owner, if the new mustang comes with a tremec and a more advanced aluminum chassis a trade-in is a no brainer. Otherwise I'm keeping the Mach 1.

This is basically what the Camaro SS 1LE is but I can't stand the looks of it, so here I am.

KINGKONA

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1/AE/MAGNERIDE
I've never owned a car with an MT-82. Two guys in my track group up in Limerock did grenade theirs though. One was boosted 2015, another was a stock 2017.
So you know one person that grenaded theirs.

Seems like scant information to be making decisions on.
Sponsored