• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Why order the Handling Package for a Dark Horse?

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500KR (0758), GT500 (N2617)
This "track guy" concurs with that "track guy".
Sponsored

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s
I have a DH ordered and did not order the HP. I knew I wanted the 700a, non Recaro’s for the comfort of daily driving, and 10-speed auto so my wife could drive. I do not plan to track. I do like the wider tires/wheels and the spoiler. But ultimately made my decision not to purchase HP due to 3 factors. 1) I wanted to keep my total cost in the $65k range. 2) I knew the HP tires would wear much faster. 3) I can probably purchase the Ford OEM spoiler with gurney flap if I really want it, or an aftermarket spoiler.

Last edited:

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The HP wheels are going to tramline something horrible, and probably have an impact on fuel economy. I wish the GT PP wheels were a bit wider, but 305/315 is a lot for daily street driving

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue 301A, PP2, Active Exhaust, Recaro's
I have a DH ordered and did not order the HP. I knew I wanted the 700a, non Recaro’s for the comfort of daily driving, and 10-speed auto so my wife could drive. I do not plan to track. I do like the wider tires/wheels and the spoiler. But ultimately made my decision not to purchase HP due to 3 factors. 1) I wanted to keep my total cost in the $65k range. 2) I knew the HP wheels would wear much faster. 3) I can probably purchase the Ford OEM spoiler with gurney flap if I really want it, or an aftermarket spoiler.
1 - totally understand that. For a while people had me convinced my M1 order wasn't going to go through I tried to figure out how I would spec a DH. To keep the price the same I would have had to order a base DH with no options. Which wouldn't have been all bad since the DH has better brakes standard (though there's an argument to be made that you don't need that much brake even on track), B&O sound, Navigation and the cool blue interior. I might have sprung for the Recaro seats as I like the micro-suede (I presume this is the same as Alcantara).

2 - I think you meant tires. FYI, lots of people will buy the HP tires off of you for track use and then you throw on some 4S' or similar tires.

The HP wheels are going to tramline something horrible, and probably have an impact on fuel economy. I wish the GT PP wheels were a bit wider, but 305/315 is a lot for daily street driving
Again I think you mean the HP tires. The larger sticker tires will tramline more for sure. I feel it's a bit less if you put a track alignment on it but then you are going to wear the tires faster if you drive it that way on the street. I'm currently running a set of PP1 wheels on my M1 with 4S' until my SC2's wear out. Then I'll pick a slightly less aggressive tire to put on the HP wheels. Probably in 305 all around.

OP
OP

LCDRChemEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BE DH Premium A10
Don't need a reason, I want it. No rational reason to buy a car like this except that I want one, so what is wrong with one more irrational decision.
Perhaps I should remind folks that the purpose of this post was not to criticize the choices of others, but rather to find out if there is more to the HP than shown in the configurator.

For example, when opting for the 2023 Mustang GT performance package you got:
1 - Larger radiator
2- Brembo brakes up front
3 - Torsen differential
4 - Oil and vacuum gauges
5 - K-brace chassis stiffener
6 - chin air dam and rear wing
7 - fat tires

The Handling Package for the Dark horse, in contrast, only appears to offer fat tires and minor stuff, which is why I did not opt for it. Then again, seeing how so many did choose it, I was afraid there was more stuff included that I was not aware of. So far, however, that does not seem to be the case.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
Perhaps I should remind folks that the purpose of this post was not to criticize the choices of others, but rather to find out if there is more to the HP than shown in the configurator.

1 - Larger radiator
3 - Torsen differential
7 - fat tires

The Handling Package for the Dark horse, in contrast, only appears to offer fat tires and minor stuff, which is why I did not opt for it. Then again, seeing how so many did choose it, I was afraid there was more stuff included that I was not aware of. So far, however, that does not seem to be the case.
No criticizing anyone, if you want it buy it. Don’t need approval from anyone but yourself.

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid

1 - Larger radiator
3 - Torsen differential
7 - fat tires

I think you also gotta factor in the warranty aspect too. I know some people will get the HP simply because it's already ready for track use, you can adjust on the fly, you have better tires to help with traction and pulling the power down, extra suspension tuning, and you get extra cooling as well. I'm pretty sure they have some other stuff they do also. But the big factor for me is the warranty and also try to hold value for the car to. If you get the car without HP and do your own adjustments. Then you run the risk of voiding some warranties when you mess up the suspension which will be extremely expensive to fix. Plus if plans are to use it as a bridge until the gt500 comes out, it will have alot more value.

I don't plan to track the car a lot. But I do plan to take it to some areas to enjoy. Then hit tail of the dragon after I learn the car. And switching the tires to some 4's for street use. But it's better to have it knowing you can make adjustments to improve the ride than to not get it and regret it. So do what's best for you.

OP
OP

LCDRChemEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BE DH Premium A10
I think you also gotta factor in the warranty aspect too. I know some people will get the HP simply because it's already ready for track use, you can adjust on the fly, you have better tires to help with traction and pulling the power down, extra suspension tuning, and you get extra cooling as well. I'm pretty sure they have some other stuff they do also. But the big factor for me is the warranty and also try to hold value for the car to. If you get the car without HP and do your own adjustments. Then you run the risk of voiding some warranties when you mess up the suspension which will be extremely expensive to fix. Plus if plans are to use it as a bridge until the gt500 comes out, it will have alot more value.

I don't plan to track the car a lot. But I do plan to take it to some areas to enjoy. Then hit tail of the dragon after I learn the car. And switching the tires to some 4's for street use. But it's better to have it knowing you can make adjustments to improve the ride than to not get it and regret it. So do what's best for you.
Well there you go, that's what I'm curious about. Although the PP for the 2023 Mustang GT included extra cooling and "some other stuff," the HP information in the 2024 DH configurator does not show that. Is there a reference that you know of that shows what exactly comes with the DH HP?

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
handling package gives you
- ability to get carbon fiber wheels
- front tow hooks
- factory adjustable strut top mounts
- unique wing and gurney flap in shadow black (parts are PR3Z-6344210-EB and PR3Z-6344210-AB, total cost of them is ~$4000 before tax)
- added value if you ever re-sell it
- tires that are (for now) bespoke to the Dark Horse

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
Well there you go, that's what I'm curious about. Although the PP for the 2023 Mustang GT included extra cooling and "some other stuff," the HP information in the 2024 DH configurator does not show that. Is there a reference that you know of that shows what exactly comes with the DH HP?
Nahh Ford has really not been good with updating that on there site. I was only taking a guess and speculatin. I would say the best comparison is to look at a Mach 1. But I will think the HP would add one or 2 more coolers to keep IAT's down and to cool the rear diff. Different suspension setup so different shocks and tuning. Then the rest of the cash is for those wheels bc those tires are probably around 2k brand new. But again go for what you want. Because it's easier to remove stuff than add.

Last edited:

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
- unique wing and gurney flap in shadow black (parts are PR3Z-6344210-EB and PR3Z-6344210-AB, total cost of them is ~$4000 before tax)
@roket is over here killing hopes and dreams 😂 😂 😂
Sponsored