• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Sorry, I actually meant the E-Ray not the Z06. But from what I hear on the Corvette forums they are still not sure if the E-Ray is a mild hybrid or PHEV. The last spied version had no visible charging port, so some people think its just a mild hybrid.
Only because I get paid to make these distinctions…
Mild Hybrid: Typically low voltage as far as hybrids go. Most are 48V. Some of the older ones were 108V. They are not capable of moving the car with the engine off. They are capable of fuel saving through early shut-off on decel. They are capable of providing mild assist for short periods of time during acceleration. Battery is typically < 1.0 kWh. Examples - Saturn Vue Hybrid, Ram 1500 TorqueAssist

Full Hybrid: What most people think of when they say “hybrid”. Capable of moving the vehicle at low speed with the ICE off. In more modern examples also capable of enabling AWD. (<— hint). Also able to provide additional acceleration assist. The RAV4 hybrid is one of the quickest Toyota’s available outside of Supra. Battery is typically > 1.0 kWh. Usually under 2.0 but there are some larger. Examples - Toyota Prius, RAV4, Ford Explorer

Plug-In Hybrid: Same as Full Hybrid, but with a plug. And a much bigger battery. Typically 8 - 20 kWh. Can drive high speeds with engine off, as long as there is sufficient charge. Can enable a greater range of AWD than Full. Can be focused towards performance. Examples - Porsche Panamera, Lincoln Aviator, Toyota RAV4.

E-Ray (I soooo hate that name) will not be a mild hybrid. The only reason for mild hybrid is marginal fuel economy improvement. Not a lot of performance gain to be had. It will most likely not be a plug-in hybrid because there’s just not room for a big battery, an on-board charger and a larger inverter, and all the cooling that needs to go along with it. Full hybrid makes sense, because the battery is small enough to package, has enough capacity to allow for quiet mode low speed driving, and can enable AWD.
Sponsored

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
or it's a pancake motor and 2-4kw, useful for engine augmentation and still drives the rear wheels. Though since the C8 has all this room up front that nobody uses, a couple of small motors driving the front wheels independently would make sense. Maybe it has a plug inside the frunk or is just lazy-charges off the 48V alternator.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
or it's a pancake motor and 2-4kw, useful for engine augmentation and still drives the rear wheels. Though since the C8 has all this room up front that nobody uses, a couple of small motors driving the front wheels independently would make sense. Maybe it has a plug inside the frunk or is just lazy-charges off the 48V alternator.
Not 48V. I spent years trying to convince Engineering to look at 48V. Had more success convincing my kids to eat broccoli.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
Only because I get paid to make these distinctions…
Mild Hybrid: Typically low voltage as far as hybrids go. Most are 48V. Some of the older ones were 108V. They are not capable of moving the car with the engine off. They are capable of fuel saving through early shut-off on decel. They are capable of providing mild assist for short periods of time during acceleration. Battery is typically < 1.0 kWh. Examples - Saturn Vue Hybrid, Ram 1500 TorqueAssist

Full Hybrid: What most people think of when they say “hybrid”. Capable of moving the vehicle at low speed with the ICE off. In more modern examples also capable of enabling AWD. (<— hint). Also able to provide additional acceleration assist. The RAV4 hybrid is one of the quickest Toyota’s available outside of Supra. Battery is typically > 1.0 kWh. Usually under 2.0 but there are some larger. Examples - Toyota Prius, RAV4, Ford Explorer

Plug-In Hybrid: Same as Full Hybrid, but with a plug. And a much bigger battery. Typically 8 - 20 kWh. Can drive high speeds with engine off, as long as there is sufficient charge. Can enable a greater range of AWD than Full. Can be focused towards performance. Examples - Porsche Panamera, Lincoln Aviator, Toyota RAV4.

E-Ray (I soooo hate that name) will not be a mild hybrid. The only reason for mild hybrid is marginal fuel economy improvement. Not a lot of performance gain to be had. It will most likely not be a plug-in hybrid because there’s just not room for a big battery, an on-board charger and a larger inverter, and all the cooling that needs to go along with it. Full hybrid makes sense, because the battery is small enough to package, has enough capacity to allow for quiet mode low speed driving, and can enable AWD.
I deeply appreciate this explanation of the different hybrid types. Thank you very much!

FourWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta, Renault Duster, Fiat Punto
Hello guys, I'm the Brazilian journalist who wrote this article and, of course, gave you credits and headline quotation.

Funny fact is that down here the news are spreading strong, but due the TROLLER part on this guy's resumee.

S650 Mustang TWO hybrid powertrains for S650 Mustang!? Clues via Linkedin profile mgbf6307

Troller was a surprisingly good Brazilian automaker, founded in one of the country's poorest regions and built off-road wrangler-like cars. Last january, when Ford closed its plants here, Troller was so descontinued and Brazilians took it personal, making Ford's general perception terrible since then.

On that resumee, that engineer said 2022 Troller T4 would get Ranger Raptor's powertrain. Some sources said it'd receive upcoming Ranger's platform and more luxurious aspect. I'm obsessed with any render of this car, must be amazing.

This Brazilian guy worked a lot with S550 Mach 1 transmission — same used by this cancelled '22 T4. Given he was divided between Brazil and USA, he'd to be world class employee, I guess. Also an obvious choice to Troller's project.

Thank you for this! See ya

fpvfan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 mustang GT
I'm hesitant to be excited about the S650 Mustang that is fast approaching. I'm a huge fan of Ford's ecoboost platform, mostly with the Ecoboost V6 engines, but the 2.3L Ecoboost is no slouch whatsoever. Performance Hybrids have come a long way as shown by Acura's NSX supercar, which boasts a V6 hybrid powertrain with breathtaking performance. Although not an exact science, If a hybrid system can take a 400hp/415tq 3.0L Ecoboost V6 to 494hp/630, would a similar setup take the 350hp/350tq 2.3L to 444hp/565tq? While I doubt it, seeing a 2.3L Ecoboost hybrid with AWD pushing 400-425hp with anywhere from 485-500lb-ft of torque wouldn't be all that terrible. The issue with a four-cylinder is always sound. There are very few inline 4-cylinder vehicles that sound good. Minus the cross-plane crank engine in Yamaha's R1 super sport motorcycle or the raunchy SRT4 from back in the day, very few 4-cylinder cars sound good. As far as looks, The S650 should take a lot of styling cues from the Mach E, because it's not a bad looking vehicle, it's just not a mustang, along with taking styling cues from Ford's new design language with the car moving to a vehicle more along the size of a BMW M8 coupe along with offering a 4-door gran coupe as well. Hopefully, Ford will not bring the Mach E's interior styling to the new S650. It is time that Ford does something different with the interior. I could truly care less about the 5.0L as long as the 2.3L can still be upgraded and modified. Truthfully, it would be nice for Ford to offer a crossplane crank 2.3L I-4 turbo. it would sound amazing.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
while we're on the subject of "odd" engines, I've wondered are the harmonics really so bad that they can't do a big-bang 8?
Sponsored