• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
So what else could it be? Well, we know multiple dealer employees who attend private dealer meetings have said they were shown a mustang sedan on multiple occasions. Fords been spied testing like two or three different models of performance sedans, which wouldn't make much sense if they had no intention of making some kind of performance sedan. They were also spied testing the c8. So maybe they'll do a mid-engine mustang, there's virtually no reason to buy a mid-engine car to benchmark it again the normal mustang, they don't really compete until you start looking at higher performance models of the mustang. So what if we end up seeing the mustang coupe(keeps purists happy) a mustang sedan(Appeals to many consumers who wanted to return of a ford sedan), the mach-e (Exists as a compelling ev that helps to future proof ford), and a mid-engine c8 competitor (Because the c8 is a runaway success that has worked wonders for the Corvettes image)? It's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility, and be exactly what the mustang brand needs at this point in time.
There is no way Ford is building a midengine Mustang. They surely tested the C8 for what it is, a sportcar competitor that rivals maybe not the GT, but higher models like whatever the next GT350 and GT500 will be. Every carmaker tests new cars of competitors to get some knowledge how they build and construct their cars. Porsche has no intest in building the next 911 midengined, but of course they got themselves a C8 to take closer looks and tests.

The last thing they want to do is revealing the S650 GT350 if for the same price point the C8 outperforms the car easily. So they surely will benchmark the car to be competitive. You can bet that the S550 GT500 took so long because they just had to beat the ZL1 1LE performance to be relevant.

But from what we know Ford isn't really interested in building the best performance vehicles, since they scraped the idea of making an Alpha Platform rival Mustang early. The whole market segment in the US doesn't care about performance but obviously prefering space, visibility and stuff like that. And Ford will deliver on that with the S650. That's why the rumors about a 4-door Mustang are plausible at least. It would extend the range of Mustang models to families, giving it more space to exist for the next 7+ years in fast and drastically to EV changing market.

The costs of developing a standalone competitive midengine Mustang would be unreasonable. Corvettes target audience is in way higher budgets than the Mustang audience, so they know they will sell tons of $80k+ equipped cars to make profit. You clearly won't sell that many midengine Mustangs for that price, especially since Ford USA has imho huge quality issues when building their cars.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT with Premium and Track Package
It almost looks like the mini rear caliper could be an external emergency brake. Looks too small to be of any other use.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT with Premium and Track Package
Actually, the two toned machined look wheels are a nice compromise. Something like the Focus ST wheels

S650 Mustang Spied: New Mustang Prototype w/ Mach 1-Style Wheels, Upgraded Dual Caliper Rear Brakes 📸 2016-Ford-Focus-ST-10-of-34

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
By bringing up the Corvette, I wasn't implying there should be a mid-engine Mustang. I don't want that. Not a Mustang, like the Muck-y isn't a Mustang.

I only meant that they changed the heck out of the Corvette.

All I'm asking for is major sheet metal and interior changes. Not an incremental design update.

IMO, the 2014 to 2015 wasn't a big enough change, visually. Think of the change in styling between a Mustang II and the Fox bodies. Or The SN95 to the S179.

This "It looks kinda like a '69" design language has been around since 2004.

Time to move on.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
By bringing up the Corvette, I wasn't implying there should be a mid-engine Mustang. I don't want that. Not a Mustang, like the Muck-y isn't a Mustang.

I only meant that they changed the heck out of the Corvette.

All I'm asking for is major sheet metal and interior changes. Not an incremental design update.

IMO, the 2014 to 2015 wasn't a big enough change, visually. Think of the change in styling between a Mustang II and the Fox bodies. Or The SN95 to the S179.

This "It looks kinda like a '69" design language has been around since 2004.

Time to move on.
The next massive leap in design and tech will almost certainly happen with the s750, which will likely be all electric.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
The next massive leap in design and tech will almost certainly happen with the s750, which will likely be all electric.
Why do we need a massive leap in design? Tech yes but design?
Porsches 911 looks almost exactly like it did when it was first revealed. Just update the design so that it can carry the Mustang into the late twenties.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I actually really like that! :sunglasses:

The fact that its a Photoshop of an S550 taken at Santa Pod (one of only 2 drag strips in the UK) helps :like:

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Interesting design but it looks fairly small and flat... Like one has to be 170cm or below in order to sit properly in it. Besides, the grill is too much Audi and the front would probably need more air vents. Reminds me of Aces designs.

In addition, the headlight would have 4 bars with that design… the hook and the three bars. I also don’t think that the Mustang will have that weirdly shaped grill… Yes, I know, the statue and such but that thing looks way too friendly and it isn’t practical. Besides the missing air vents that car would look almost like a sedan in the rear mirror...

It’s a muscle car – it should look like one.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
It’s a muscle car – it should look like one.
Actually, it's a pony car :giggle:

Whilst I love the look of the S550, for me it lost the muscle car look (if not the muscle car attitude) that the S197 had. As we know, pretty much for sure, S650 won't revert to a retro muscle car look. Many (far too many) keyboard warriors thought the S550 looked too much like a saloon......to much like a Fusion/Mondeo, but for me it's all in the proportions and I've never thought of S550 as just a saloon.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and just because I like it and you don't doesn't make either one of us wrong :)

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
Interesting render!

D9E5CBB0-457A-4A56-BFCC-319EFE4FB71F.jpeg
What an crazy idea to put the Evos face on a Mustang 😁

Why do we need a massive leap in design? Tech yes but design?
Porsches 911 looks almost exactly like it did when it was first revealed. Just update the design so that it can carry the Mustang into the late twenties.
Technology and the market is changing fast currently. Nobody has to be an economic expert to see that EV markt share could rise to 30+% in the next 10 years globally - And with EVs you can also save all the costs of emission tests for different regions, so it's way easier to sell your car internationally. I doubt the S650 will feel like a generational leap. There isn't that much of new technology that you can add since the S550 refresh already put in tons of stuff. Sure bigger screens with updated infotainment, some new driving assists, boring self driving stuff, new and upated interior, etc would be nice. But even as a Hybrid I don't expect the S650 to be like "The big new thing" like S550 was on launch. Especially since Ford went really far away from the price point a GT had in 2015.

With Dodge and Chevy killing their next Muscle Car generation for pure EV Challenger and Camaro successors that's where the most potential of a car that actually wow people can be. Just look at the Kia EV6 GT. It's a family friendly SUV with 575 horsepower, 0-60 in 3.5s and all for around $60k. I can't even imagine what an electric two door sportscars will be capable of. I'm pretty sure Ford is silently working on an EV Mustang derivat, but it might come way later than the competitors.

But I don't think Ford could pull of a 911 design theme. The key of the 911 is that it always stayed true to the same formula and design. But Mustangs always looked different and new, matching the current design trends of the time they are released in. Staying to close to the old design is always risky since people might not even recognize that it is a new car. I think key of the success of S550 was that it looked so different to a Gen 5 that is gained tons of attention by people. And while some Corvette folks make angry comments about the midengine C8, the insane success of the C8 proves Chevrolet right to change up the formula and let the new be exiting and different than the C7.
Sponsored

Last edited: