• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650's direct competition?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
With the Camaro dying and the Challenger going electric what's the direct competitor to the GT or DarkHorse now?

Pricing its maybe the GR Supra and Nizan Z, but both of those are lower on power. Even though Aftermarket can bring them to similar levels easily. They feel more like adjacent competition than direct.
Sponsored

jgilkey

Threads
Reaction score
Website
locusautomotive.com
Vehicle(s)
Ordered: 2021 Mach 1
The BMW M2 isnā€™t very far off from the DH expected pricing. Power is down a little, but itā€™s available in a manual, and roughly the same size. I recently saw a comparison of the M3, Mach 1 and another car. The Mach 1 beat the others out in overall driver enjoyment.

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 2022 MT
Price-wise and ergonomics-wise, the biggest competition to the S650 is probably the S550 !

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
The economy in general and the used car market in particular.

If there is a weak economy or recession in 2023, the used car market could offer compelling buys, affording a great performance experience for the price.

Last edited:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
With the Camaro dying and the Challenger going electric what's the direct competitor to the GT or DarkHorse now?

Pricing its maybe the GR Supra and Nizan Z, but both of those are lower on power. Even though Aftermarket can bring them to similar levels easily. They feel more like adjacent competition than direct.
the electric charger/banshee thing.

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
The BMW M2 isnā€™t very far off from the DH expected pricing. Power is down a little, but itā€™s available in a manual, and roughly the same size. I recently saw a comparison of the M3, Mach 1 and another car. The Mach 1 beat the others out in overall driver enjoyment.
I'd go as far as to say the xDrive variant of the M240i would be a competitor as well. It is for me as I am eyeing both. The BMW is quicker to 60 and undoubtedly will have better all weather traction and better build quality. Not sure if that makes up for the "Mustang" aura or that V8 rumble though.

There will also be an AWD version of the M2 coming at some point just to make things more interesting.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT with Premium and Track Package

Car & Driver did a comparison a couple of issues back with the S550 Mach 1, and due to the Supra's lighter weight, they were pretty darn close in performance down the line. The Nissan realy wasn't in the running at that test point.