• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 with PP for Track Days

FlyNavy86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Gold Camry
I’m completely new to Mustangs. I plan to do a handful of track days and autox each year.

On the track day front how have previous gen GTs with PP done? Any issues with components/systems overheating?
Sponsored

Rate_of_Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO, 22 Triumph Speed Twin
Similar concerns here. As best I can tell, all but the Mach 1 and GT cars had cooling issues for actual track use. AutoX is probably fine given how short courses are

OP
OP
FlyNavy86

FlyNavy86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Gold Camry
Yeah, definitely not worried about autox. Guess we’ll just have to take ‘em out to track days and see how they do. Not like I’m going to pony up the extra $10k+ for a DH!

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I tracked and AX my 2019 base GT manual for a total of 40 track hours without any issues.
I lowered the car, added camber plates and upgraded the front sway bar. I installed the big Brembos from the PP with track pads, and fitted 305-30-19 tires on all 4 corners and it was fine.
I'll do the same with my S650. For the track these heavy cars really benefit from wide tires and camber in the front. The PP suspension, wheels and tires will be fine if you're 100% new to tracking cars. As you become more proficient the narrow tires will limit what you can do and you'll wear them fast.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
As someone who tracks an S550 GT, the PP GT will still need upgrades to be competitive.
A 255 wide tire on a 4,000 lb car is a joke. If you want it to turn well, put the biggest tires up front that you can. For S550s (and probably S650s as well) that was 11" wide wheels with 305 or 315 wide tires.

Brake pads and fluid are always needed. The PP pads are OK for a beginner but once you pick up the pace, they are quite lacking.

I'm assuming the PP suspension will still be soft but that generally comes down to preference. Stiffer springs can wait.

As for cooling: 80-85°F is about the limit before you'll have to back off after a couple laps. In 90°F weather, I could only get one lap before water temps were at the safe limit. Once you start pushing the car fast, I'm sure the S650 will need an oil cooler as well.

So for some casual fun at a fast pace: wheels, tires, brake pads, brake fluid.
If you want to lap all day or play in hot weather (or just want the added protection): oil cooler.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Do 24 GTs have a trans temp and diff temp gauge in the track apps, or is that only for the Dark Horse because of the coolers? Those would be nice to know, even if the car didn't have coolers.

OP
OP
FlyNavy86

FlyNavy86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Gold Camry
I believe the 5.0s for 2024 come with an oil cooler.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
Do 24 GTs have a trans temp and diff temp gauge in the track apps, or is that only for the Dark Horse because of the coolers? Those would be nice to know, even if the car didn't have coolers.
If they are like the S550's, the A10's come with a trans temp gauge but not the manuals. The PP cars come with diff temp gauge.

I believe the 5.0s for 2024 come with an oil cooler.
I don't believe that is the case but I would love to be wrong here. The S550's came with a water-to-oil cooler. It ran the coolant around an oil line which was mostly to help bring the oil temps up to operating temp for emissions compliance. It helps some but it also raises your water temps too.

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium, 2020 Mustang GT Premium c
I’m completely new to Mustangs. I plan to do a handful of track days and autox each year.

On the track day front how have previous gen GTs with PP done? Any issues with components/systems overheating?
The only issue I’ve had were brake lines with my 18 PP1. Replaced with stainless steel and high temp brake fluid and haven’t had a problem since. I’m not running stock suspension so I can’t comment as to that, but I’d say if you opted for magneride you should be good. Mine is a dd that gets tracked a couple time a year.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '02 4Runner

I think the basics depends on where you live and driving style.

Some things to consider as quick fixes can be:
-exhaust wrap to help with diff temp
-75w140 diff fluid to help with diff temp
-add water wetter to radiator
-Vorshlag brake cooling vanes
-high temp brake fluid

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium

-high temp brake fluid
-oil cooler
-5W50/0W40 oil
-better trans oil as well
-Braided Clutch Line if it's a Manual
-Better Clutch (McLeod RST) if it's a Manual
-Braided Brake Lines as well.

this should be bare minimum in terms of keeping it safe on track.

GeorgiaMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 grandsport
I tracked and AX my 2019 base GT manual for a total of 40 track hours without any issues.
I lowered the car, added camber plates and upgraded the front sway bar. I installed the big Brembos from the PP with track pads, and fitted 305-30-19 tires on all 4 corners and it was fine.
I'll do the same with my S650. For the track these heavy cars really benefit from wide tires and camber in the front. The PP suspension, wheels and tires will be fine if you're 100% new to tracking cars. As you become more proficient the narrow tires will limit what you can do and you'll wear them fast.
Is your S650 a 6-speed?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
Vehicle(s)
Poor Man's McLaren

-high temp brake fluid
That's a good list. For a non-PP, swapping the front pads for track rated pads is important, because the low-dust regular pads will fade and put deposits on the front rotors by the end of the day.

Hey didn't you switch over to my Brake Air Vanes ?
Sponsored