• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 GT with A10 ok for autocross?

DemonWorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Coming from the Camaro world, the a10 in the SS is a great combo for autocross and road course. Some of what I read was the a10 in the mustang overheats on a road course. Obviously, the car isn't out yet so we don't know... but given you guys have more knowledge than I, do you think the a10 in a GT will be good for autocross? Any experience you can share? I'm looking to order this car soon but I really don't want the MT82, i hated that in my 2013 GT.. granted it's been 10 years but I did not like the short gear ratios as well as the high RPM shifting was poop.
Sponsored

Zcarmenb28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Camaro ZL1, 22 Supra 3.0
The A10 in my 2018 GT (premium, PP1, and MagneRide) was way behind the A10 in my ZL1. The A10 in my GT was very clunky going from P to D or D to P. Sometimes it was easily confused if you went on throttle and then off, then on again, it wouldn't know what to do and sometimes wouldn't do anything for a couple of seconds even though my foot was halfway to the floor. Occasionally, in first gear under light throttle when the engine was cold (imagine leaving work in a parking garage), after I lifted completely off throttle it wouldn't register that I took my foot off the pedal and would continue with the same light throttle position for 1-2 seconds and continue accelerating another 2-3 mph. It was slow acceleration, and I could easily overcome the forward momentum by braking, but it was a problem. Hopefully they improved the programming since then.

Towerism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 6 speed, 2021 Volvo XC40 R-Design
I imagine you might find the same high rpm shifting issues with the mt82 in its current form, but just wanted to say that the gear ratios are much different now than they were pre-2018. The ratios are further apart now.

Coming from the Camaro world, the a10 in the SS is a great combo for autocross and road course. Some of what I read was the a10 in the mustang overheats on a road course. Obviously, the car isn't out yet so we don't know... but given you guys have more knowledge than I, do you think the a10 in a GT will be good for autocross? Any experience you can share? I'm looking to order this car soon but I really don't want the MT82, i hated that in my 2013 GT.. granted it's been 10 years but I did not like the short gear ratios as well as the high RPM shifting was poop.

OP
OP
DemonWorks

DemonWorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I imagine you might find the same high rpm shifting issues with the mt82 in its current form, but just wanted to say that the gear ratios are much different now than they were pre-2018. The ratios are further apart now.
OH?! that i fantastic to hear ! I hated how close they were in the 2013. Ok, maybe I need to look more into the manual.

OP
OP
DemonWorks

DemonWorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE

Ok, research proves what you are saying and it looks like the ratios are close to the camaro, which I do really like. And I found an article stating the problems the mt82 had (which I had all of those) and they were corrected in 2018. Solid info, much appreciated !

Grabber_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Ok, research proves what you are saying and it looks like the ratios are close to the camaro, which I do really like. And I found an article stating the problems the mt82 had (which I had all of those) and they were corrected in 2018. Solid info, much appreciated !
They all were definitely not corrected. I personally know three 2018 and up MT-82 owners, all with problems. High rpm lock out, rattles, popping out of gear, grinds, etc, etc. No matter how much they ā€œfixā€ them, they are junk compared to a Tremec. Drive a 10 spd, I drove a ā€˜21 last year and while it wasnā€™t perfect, it was pretty damn good. Under WOT itā€™s shifts were quite impressive too. I did read they were improved further for the Mach 1. I assume most, if not all of those changes will trickle over to the S650.

Regardless, for autocross, you will be just fine with any automatic. Iā€™ve done it with manuals and automatics. I very rarely use anything more than second gear. You could start in first, and then manually shift to second gear and let it be, or probably even just start in second gear and leave it there, and you should be just fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DemonWorks

DemonWorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Thanks ! I ended up swapping to the M6 to be safe and go from there. The auto had me worried.

Grabber_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature

Cindy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP DIB
I drove a 2022 A10 at Spring Nationals and hated it. It did not work as well as the Camaro I drove before. Shifters were in way of my fingers and would get hit accidentally in big turns. Trying auto was totally in wrong gear every time. At least the Camaro, the paddles were not easily hit. Manual is the way to go for autox. I could see auto being useful on track.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Some of the cars ship with an oversize radiator. That is somewhat of an issue for me being in Arizona with 120 degree days and the air conditioner running.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
For auto X don't you 90% of time have it in 2nd to maybe 4th gear with the A10? Putting it in manual mode the car will not shift at limiter so you can hold the gear. Overheating should not be an issue as it's more shorter runs compared to 20-30min stints on track. 9n the other hand the car will be heavier with the A10?

I don't think it would be such a bad choice for auto-x. The other option is obviously a DH with the added coolers if overheating is an issue and better M6
Sponsored

Last edited: