• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 will not offer any type of AWD (Ford Authority)

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Interesting and, if true, this would point to S650 using a similar hybrid setup to the Aviator and Explorer.

In this design, the electric motor is placed between the engine (the Ecoboost V6) and the 10-speed auto. The battery pack sits in the space under the rear passengers.

S650 Mustang S650 will not offer any type of AWD (Ford Authority) Aviator

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Of course, the rumors of an AWD S650 started with this patent, which had the motors powering the front wheels.

S650 Mustang S650 will not offer any type of AWD (Ford Authority) Hybrid Patent

virtualdru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I hadn't made up my mind if I was looking forward to AWD but I guess my mind has been made up for me... :)

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
My knee-jerk reaction is profound disappointment. But now I'm wondering if I'd even lose that much MPG's in the city (where I do most of my driving) if I were to get a non-hybrid S550 GT. My average per fill-up is 20 over the past 2-3 years, and I typically only need to fuel up every month or so (if not every 5-6 weeks). Still, if I where to move up north where it snows in the wintertime and said snow says on the ground for days/weeks/months, that could be a dealbreaker.

More to think about...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Current Mustangs are really good year round drivers. You just should buy a nice set of snow tires if you live where there's snow. That's what I did when I was driving Mustang GTs as my only car year round.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Last thing I'd want. Glad it's not happening.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
Current Mustangs are really good year round drivers. You just should buy a nice set of snow tires if you live where there's snow. That's what I did when I was driving Mustang GTs as my only car year round.
A nice set of snow tires...and I imagine not going all-out on the throttle (granted I never do that even in my EcoBoost). Will a full set of winter tires fit in the trunk, whether with the back seats up or down, when/if I need to get the tires changed depending on the season?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A nice set of snow tires...and I imagine not going all-out on the throttle (granted I never do that even in my EcoBoost). Will a full set of winter tires fit in the trunk, whether with the back seats up or down, when/if I need to get the tires changed depending on the season?
Probably not. You will probably have to put 1 or 2 (depending on width) inside the cabin of the car. There are nice plastic bags for tires that suit this purpose really well (keeping the interior clean and preventing scuffs from the tires).

Edit: and yes you definitely have to be reasonable with speed, leave more stopping distance, etc. If you have the feature, weather mode is really nice as an aid for poor weather driving.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
If it means a lighter Mustang, Iā€™m all for it.
I think his name is ThePill or something similar, but he's claimed the s650 will get all the lightweighting that the s550 engineers wanted to use for the s550, but couldn't fit within the s650's budget. If true, I wouldn't expect the mustang to become a car in the low 3000s, but maybe if they did something drastic, like using more aluminum you may see the car weight closer to like 3,500-3,600 lbs. Kinda funny how the rumors and the way they pertained to the production car. The s550 was rumored to be getting smaller and lighter, the opposite was obviously true. The s650 rumors near the beginning claimed it was going to get larger and heavier. Well it looks about the same size, and if what ThePill said pans out, it should be lighter as well.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I think his name is ThePill or something similar, but he's claimed the s650 will get all the lightweighting that the s550 engineers wanted to use for the s550, but couldn't fit within the s650's budget. If true, I wouldn't expect the mustang to become a car in the low 3000s, but maybe if they did something drastic, like using more aluminum you may see the car weight closer to like 3,500-3,600 lbs. Kinda funny how the rumors and the way they pertained to the production car. The s550 was rumored to be getting smaller and lighter, the opposite was obviously true. The s650 rumors near the beginning claimed it was going to get larger and heavier. Well it looks about the same size, and if what ThePill said pans out, it should be lighter as well.
Don't get too excited. Weight savings are one of the hardest and most expensive things to do. Since the S650 is only using an again modified D2C platform, I donā€™t expect major structural changes. Weight savings would be nice but without an extensive use of aluminum I donā€™t see where the savings are coming from. The S650 will rightfully so be equipped with more tech or at least will (hopefully) offer some decent option. That being said, the electronic ā€˜infrastructureā€™ of a vehicle is usually the same, regardless of a fully loaded or base model. It would be too expensive to have several different harness and control units.

I think we can be happy if the NA V8 S650 does not gain any weight ā€“ the hybrid will inevitably gain it.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
Probably not. You will probably have to put 1 or 2 (depending on width) inside the cabin of the car. There are nice plastic bags for tires that suit this purpose really well (keeping the interior clean and preventing scuffs from the tires).

Edit: and yes you definitely have to be reasonable with speed, leave more stopping distance, etc. If you have the feature, weather mode is really nice as an aid for poor weather driving.
Thank you very much for your advice. I have one more question if you don't mind. Do you do anything extra besides changing tires on your GT for the wintertime? (i.e. adding extra weights in the trunk, chains, etc.)

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ecoboost
Iā€™ve only had a couple close calls in my Eco daily driving the past couple winters. Working from home has been a savior not needing to go out in the snow.
Sponsored