• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 Will Not Be Availiable With AM Radio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gt/cs vert
It would appear so that the CD player is gone, didn’t see it mentioned in the option guide with the B&O, plus looking at all interior shots of the car there’s no visible slot for it. I’m not even sure there’s space for them to put it in.
Ya they are gone from many new cars. Oh well. no big loss with various streaming and ripping solution.
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
This thread is easily vetting out the age range of users on this board

How old are you exactly

"I frequently listen to AM" old?

"I still use the CD player" old?

"I switched to XM and actually use it still" old?

"FM radio is fine" old?

"I only use CarPlay/AA" old?

from boomer to zoomer in that order

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Ya they are gone from many new cars. Oh well. no big loss with various streaming and ripping solution.
There's almost zero use for CDs as far as I can tell, waste of space in modern cars imo

The only physical media you'd even need would be a little drive if you're not already using streaming services

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Performance Pack
I grew up on AM radio, worked for a few, moved to FM in the 80s and haven't looked back. Last I heard an am station it was shockingly bad. Is the cd player gone as well? That I would miss.
lol I can't lie....I've had my 23 for 2 weeks now, took it on a road trip and have over 2,300 miles on it already, and I had no idea it had a CD player. I assumed those were dropped at the mid-cycle refresh in 2018.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Need for Green Ecoboost 101a
This thread is easily vetting out the age range of users on this board

How old are you exactly

"I frequently listen to AM" old?

"I still use the CD player" old?

"I switched to XM and actually use it still" old?

"FM radio is fine" old?

"I only use CarPlay/AA" old?

from boomer to zoomer in that order

You might be right, though there has to be a few of us who cross the spectrum. Can safely say I’m a millennial who uses all these forms of media.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
You might be right, though there has to be a few of us who cross the spectrum. Can safely say I’m a millennial who uses all these forms of media.
that would actually make a ton of sense if you think about it; millenials grew up riding in cars where AM/FM was normalized through their mid teens, and millenials grew up in the early internet/tech boom era where adapting to current tech went hand in hand with early adulthood

tons of zoomers probably lack experience with CDs, and tons of boomers are likely resistant to advancements in tech having been comfortable with physical media and am/fm for decades, the latter of which links to sirius xm as a "comfy" evolution

i still think xm has zero application in today's world and don't know why someone would pay for the service lol

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
I was at a local store the other day and my jaw dropped when I saw VINYL RECORDS…. Maybe a dozen or 2 CDs… and hundreds of brand new records… and they were like $50 apiece.

BreadBurner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I was at a local store the other day and my jaw dropped when I saw VINYL RECORDS…. Maybe a dozen or 2 CDs… and hundreds of brand new records… and they were like $50 apiece.
were they cheaper back in the day or more expensive?

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
They have been anywhere from .25cents to 1.00 dollar at garage sales for the entirety of my life 🤣

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,1965 Sunbeam Tiger (Stolen, Elk Heart Lake)
tons of zoomers probably lack experience with CDs, and tons of boomers are likely resistant to advancements in tech having been comfortable with physical media and am/fm for decades,
The issue for me with digital media is the amount of compression. It causes a fidelity loss that I don't like.

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
As ham radio guy first licensed in 1980, the excuse given for dropping the AM radio is ass about.
Either that, or it's had to be dumbed down to the point of being wrong - common these days.

https://fordauthority.com/2023/03/2024-ford-mustang-will-also-ditch-am-radio/

"...was a claim that AM radio frequencies interfere with all-electric vehicle powertrains."

Actually, other way around.
The EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) and crud generated by PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) and switch-mode circuits would wipe out the AM band receiver. Same as solar inverters etc create lots of EMI. The general public are oblivious, but anyone using the radio spectrum are not.

I develop and program touchscreens and microcontroller projects (as apart of being an old fart ham - never judge a book by it's cover), and the crud a typical touchscreen creates is baaad all the way up through to VHF. Simply due to the PWM controlled screen backlighting. Generally, the larger the screen, the noisier it is.

Guess what's omni-present in the new dash?
We also assume the B&O radio guts is located just behind the 13.2" screen?

I suspect it was cheaper/easier to drop AM band coverage than try and filter out all the EMI crap to make the receiver usable.

Would be interesting to test this with a portable AM radio inside, and have a sniff around for signals.

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
The issue for me with digital media is the amount of compression. It causes a fidelity loss that I don't like.
It's 2023 - it should be capable of playing FLAC files.