• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 is out there somewhere, isn't she?

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
If I had to make that decision it would be fairly easy:

Start the S650 program ASAP and be the first with a hybrid muscle car.

Knowing that the platform isn't meant for full electrification start expanding on the Mustang JET... Get the fan base excited for an EV Mustang. Furthermore, while stirring the advertising drum decide which EV-platform to use for the EV Mustang and start development. Since all EV platform use the same skateboard layout it shouldn’t take too much time to bend the S650 design around that EV platform. Make it unique in some ways so that it stands out but keep the heritage in mind.

Maybe S650+Shelby (due to the delay) in 2023 (as MY23) and the EV model in 2024/2025?! Sell both cars simultaneously and let the customers decide what they prefer ;)

Besides: I would also make sure that everyone involved in the program is super tight lipped! In these rapidly changing times there’s nothing worse than hyping a car too early and then losing momentum when it hit the showrooms. Keep in mind that one never knows how that “electrify everything” nonsense turns out so it’s much safe to play it safe and remain tight lipped. Otherwise one might not be able to react to certain circumstances. Moreover, if some employee of ‘mine’ decides to rob the company off its big reveal I would be super pissed. It’s arguably better to have a big reveal and a big announcement than constantly leaked footage.

I made the bold prediction of an EV Mustang comming around 24/25... Well turns out I completely missed an exklusive 'REUTERS' story dating back to my birthday... May 25th :D

Anyhow, apparently Ford will develop two dedicated EV platforms until 2025, one for trucks (TE1) and another one for cars, including suv's. Now, until Ford US doesn't change it's lineup there is only one 'car' that can be bought in the US and that is the Mustang.
In addition, the source is stating that the Mach-e will get a refresh on an improved platform (GE current, GE2 refreshed) by mid 2023 and I quote: 'The same GE2 platform eventually will be used as the base for replacements for the Mustang coupe and Mach-E, the sources said.'

They are also talking about the MEB (Volkswagen) and Rivian platform for future cars but I doubt they are Mustang related...

I don't know but a Mustang EV coupe on a new platform by 2023 doesn't sound like they're building another Mustang (S650) next to it... I hope I'm wrong and Reuters does point out that going full EV is a concern Ford recognizes so they might play it safe and give us a hybrid V8 ;)

Source:
https://www.reuters.com/business/su...ated-ev-platforms-by-2025-sources-2021-05-25/
Sponsored

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang
I made the bold prediction of an EV Mustang comming around 24/25... Well turns out I completely missed an exklusive 'REUTERS' story dating back to my birthday... May 25th :D

Anyhow, apparently Ford will develop two dedicated EV platforms until 2025, one for trucks (TE1) and another one for cars, including suv's. Now, until Ford US doesn't change it's lineup there is only one 'car' that can be bought in the US and that is the Mustang.
In addition, the source is stating that the Mach-e will get a refresh on an improved platform (GE current, GE2 refreshed) by mid 2023 and I quote: 'The same GE2 platform eventually will be used as the base for replacements for the Mustang coupe and Mach-E, the sources said.'

They are also talking about the MEB (Volkswagen) and Rivian platform for future cars but I doubt they are Mustang related...

I don't know but a Mustang EV coupe on a new platform by 2023 doesn't sound like they're building another Mustang (S650) next to it... I hope I'm wrong and Reuters does point out that going full EV is a concern Ford recognizes so they might play it safe and give us a hybrid V8 ;)

Source:
https://www.reuters.com/business/su...ated-ev-platforms-by-2025-sources-2021-05-25/

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang
Don't think BEV Mustang coupe will be released until all of the shortcomings of BEV vehicles in general are resolved, i.e. short range, long re-charging times, and probably the biggest huddle - lack of infrastructure - not enough charging stations. The Mustang is Ford's image. They know that many customers shop Ford because of Mustang, even if they aren't in the market for a sports car. And Ford also knows that there thousands of Mustang loyalists who they don't want to disappoint. IMO, a s650 hybrid may be the bridge.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
Don't think BEV Mustang coupe will be released until all of the shortcomings of BEV vehicles in general are resolved, i.e. short range, long re-charging times, and probably the biggest huddle - lack of infrastructure - not enough charging stations. The Mustang is Ford's image. They know that many customers shop Ford because of Mustang, even if they aren't in the market for a sports car. And Ford also knows that there thousands of Mustang loyalists who they don't want to disappoint. IMO, a s650 hybrid may be the bridge.
Um….. I guess you missed the whole MUSTANG Mach E….

Ford is going to do what makes Ford money… The Mach E outsold the coupe last year so I bet that has had a big affect on what the future plans for the mustang are. It’s likely electric and more usable (IE 4 door).

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
The Mach E outsold the coupe last year so I bet that has had a big affect on what the future plans for the mustang are. It’s likely electric and more usable (IE 4 door).
Where do you get this from? Deliveries for the Mach-E begun in December 2020, there is absolutely no way the car outsold all Mustangs through 2020 in just one month. And even for 2021 the regular Mustang is miles ahead when looking at US sales:

Here are the 2021 numbers for USA:
MustangMach-E
January4,324238
February5,6533,739
March7,2972,637
April8,0001,951
May4,4361,945
June2,2402,465
Sum
31,950​
12,975​
Yeah some "journalists" make a big fuzz that the Mach-E outsold the Mustang in June, but it pretty much just was the chip shortages. Overall the Mustang still outsells the Mach E nearly 2,5 : 1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
Where do you get this from? Deliveries for the Mach-E begun in December 2020, there is absolutely no way the car outsold all Mustangs through 2020 in just one month. And even for 2021 the regular Mustang is miles ahead when looking at US sales:

Here are the 2021 numbers for USA:
MustangMach-E
January4,324238
February5,6533,739
March7,2972,637
April8,0001,951
May4,4361,945
June2,2402,465
Sum
31,950​
12,975​
Yeah some "journalists" make a big fuzz that the Mach-E outsold the Mustang in June, but it pretty much just was the chip shortages. Overall the Mustang still outsells the Mach E nearly 2,5 : 1
Slight correction. It outsold the coupe in the month of June. Never look and headlines and then quote.... :facepalm:

Ford's Electric Mustang Mach-E SUV Outsold the Gas Mustang Last Month (motortrend.com)

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I absolutely agree!

For S650, I hope they keep the look of the S650 interior, but upgrade the quality of the plastic and leather. Give it an 8" screen for the base models (replacing the embarrassing 4") and make a 10 or 12" screen for the Premium trim. The screens need to be integrated into the centre console, just as they are now, not stuck on like an iPad afterthought. And keep physical buttons for HVAC/seats/drive modes etc.

The look of the current interior is great, so it should be just a matter of small improvements. Rather like the change from the '09 model to the '10.

Noted in bold above^

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I do agree, every car has the 12" Ipads sticking up now, I'd prefer the screen.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I'd also like every automaker to do one thing that uConnect absolutely nailed. When you're in Android Auto, there's a strip of customizable car functions at the bottom of the screen. That feature makes the system so much more user friendly in daily use. If I want to do something like turn off the heated wheel in Sync, I have to:

back out of AA,
get to the right screen on Sync,
turn off the heated wheel,
go back into AA,
switch to the screen I was using...

...and finally pull my face out of the airbag because at this point I've crashed into a school bus full of orphaned puppies. With uConnect, I just tap the button on the bottom strip, then go on my merry way.
This. Had a loaner Lexus recently and had to look away from the road to see all of the (very wide) screen, then scroll through screens using either the screen or the mouse on the console just to do the most basic things ie change HVAC or AV. No doubt familiarity would help but IMHO the process is counter-intuitive and dangerous and would totally put me off buying that car. Not sure how they're allowed to sell this rubbish given current penalties and campaigns to deter folks from texting and driving...unless of course it's cheaper to produce.

Ironically the mouse had great haptic feedback but what's the point if you need to look at the screen to see what's going on anyway? IMHO the S550's combo of buttons and screen just works.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I am actually in no hurry to see the s650. I would rather see Ford upgrade the current Mustang and make it perfect. If Roush can get 775 horsepower out of the Coyote engine with a supercharger , I would think Ford can do as well.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff With Wheels
This. Had a loaner Lexus recently and had to look away from the road to see all of the (very wide) screen, then scroll through screens using either the screen or the mouse on the console just to do the most basic things ie change HVAC or AV. No doubt familiarity would help but IMHO the process is counter-intuitive and dangerous and would totally put me off buying that car. Not sure how they're allowed to sell this rubbish given current penalties and campaigns to deter folks from texting and driving...unless of course it's cheaper to produce.

Ironically the mouse had great haptic feedback but what's the point if you need to look at the screen to see what's going on anyway? IMHO the S550's combo of buttons and screen just works.
This. I absolutely despise touchscreens in cars for these reasons.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I use the buttons on mine when I can. Love the screen, but I hate fingerprints.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Here we are, nearly October. Still crickets.
It's weird. But maybe they are really running these things at night. Or, maybe they're just testing with run of the mill S550 bodies since the S650 won't be much different.

Regardless, I hope this turns out to be one of those "good things happen to those who wait" scenarios.
Sponsored