• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 is out there somewhere, isn't she?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
To me it’s VERY obvious that the coupe is not Ford’s priority. The Mach E seems to be the success they wanted it to be so why spend time on something that really doesn’t have much value…(Obviously I want Ford to pay attention to the coupe but from a business standpoint there is little incentive to do so). Dodge has been able to maintain profit and excitement on a vehicle that is over 13 years old (challenger) so why not try that with the mustang coupe… Minimal R&D, just enough to keep it “fresh” while you focus on the vehicles that make your profit (f150, Mach e apparently, etc….).

Thats why an S650 that wasn’t electric never really made sense to me…. Would seem like a lot of R&D for a new platform that would have a very short lifespan when your current platform doesn’t really have to many issues that would require a redesign. S550 with new sheet metal and interior would seem like the way to go.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I honestly don’t know what the hell is going on with these delays. My S650 contact no longer works for Ford, my other contact is not close enough to the program, and Ford is being ridiculously tight lipped, as if it no longer even exists.

I am concerned how the chief engineer is no longer on it either and don’t even know who his replacement is, since no one will tell me.

Has it become a 2024 model is my question, as the lack of discussion and non-M7G intel on this is so disappointing. Ford and the media overhyped the S550 so much, a lot more pre-reveal traffic came of that back in 2011-2013.

They just keep pushing back dates and the S550 remains longer on the vine. We will not see 2022 units in showrooms until February at earliest, which was never the plan with original summer 2022 changeover from S550 to S650. A calendar year 2023 release seems extremely likely.

We’re not even seeing mules anymore, is my biggest frustration nor any additional insider talk regarding this. I hate being a source on a vehicle I have no proximity to, because no news entities are doing their part following S650 themselves.

It’s like the automotive media doesn’t even care and would rather copy paste info from this forum instead, on the rare chance that we get our own intel at all.

Every new Mustang, a year and a half out, we know about great detail. From not only ourselves who have our own insiders at times, but decent media coverage filling in the blanks.

I always appreciate your input............apologies for putting pressure on you, but you're our only hope Obi Wan :giggle:

My hope is that things are progressing, albeit slowly and with obvious delays caused by Covid last year. We also know Ford are cracking down on supplier leaks. A friend of a friend (yes, I know how that sounds, so take it for what its worth!) claimed to have seen the S650 headlamp at a supplier. I did ask for a photo......or even a description, but said friend of friend wasn't giving any information. That was about 6 months ago, so it does give me hope that it's on its way.

This is something else that gives me hope. I would think that companies such as Steeda (and Shelby, Roush etc) get early visibility of specs, so they can start to develop aftermarket parts. I know they definitely have had this early visibility in the past. So, if they didn't believe S650 was coming, they wouldn't have posted this (again, I appreciate it's only reporting what we've already seen here, but they wouldn't be able to "leak" any new information themselves, least not without getting into trouble with Ford):

But, I will admit, this all feels like I'm grasping at straws. I just hope we get to see that first heavily camo'd prototype soon. If we don't see one by the end of the year, then that's when I will start to get seriously worried.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
Since Ford trolled us with a possible 2nd refresh with the strange prototypes I wouldn't trust what Ford is actually testing. A prototype might even be just for very simple things like adjusting the S550 car to new EU homologations that release every new calendar year.

I think it's safe to say that Ford is looking very carefully what the competition is doing and with Dodge already teasing their 2024 e-Muscle Car and Chevrolet also pretty much confirming Camaro is going full EV I would not want to be in the position to decide what to do with a S650.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I wouldn't want to make that decision either.

Be the first to market with an EV pony car? You could either corner the market, or be the first to find all the issues building and selling such a car could bring.

My point above, about the headlamp, must surely mean Ford are a loooooong way down the development path if suppliers are tooling up for the new car. Could Ford cancel it? Absolutely. But it would be a very brave person that makes that decision.

Remember all Ford's talk that the Mach E didn't mean the end of the V8 Mustang? Remember the recent statement "the V8 isn't going anywhere soon"? Remember that sculpture? That wasn't long ago and that would be a major backtracking.......unless they are expecting S550 to soldier on as is with no further changes. And if that's the case, they might as well can it now as sales would slide dramatically as its already long in the tooth.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Well I m glad I bought my 2019, I don't intend on selling it even in the high price frenzy right now. I think it has more value down the road (PP2, one year color). That being said, I would like one more in the coming years, that isn't electric.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
If I had to make that decision it would be fairly easy:

Start the S650 program ASAP and be the first with a hybrid muscle car.

Knowing that the platform isn't meant for full electrification start expanding on the Mustang JET... Get the fan base excited for an EV Mustang. Furthermore, while stirring the advertising drum decide which EV-platform to use for the EV Mustang and start development. Since all EV platform use the same skateboard layout it shouldn’t take too much time to bend the S650 design around that EV platform. Make it unique in some ways so that it stands out but keep the heritage in mind.

Maybe S650+Shelby (due to the delay) in 2023 (as MY23) and the EV model in 2024/2025?! Sell both cars simultaneously and let the customers decide what they prefer ;)

Besides: I would also make sure that everyone involved in the program is super tight lipped! In these rapidly changing times there’s nothing worse than hyping a car too early and then losing momentum when it hit the showrooms. Keep in mind that one never knows how that “electrify everything” nonsense turns out so it’s much safe to play it safe and remain tight lipped. Otherwise one might not be able to react to certain circumstances. Moreover, if some employee of ‘mine’ decides to rob the company off its big reveal I would be super pissed. It’s arguably better to have a big reveal and a big announcement than constantly leaked footage.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Haha....well, yeah, I too would be pushing ahead to bring S650 to market as soon as possible. I do like the sound of S650 being the first hybrid pony car and, as you say, it paves the way for a full EV (although the SEMA Lithium show car has already done that to a small degree).

But, right now, all I want to see is a car with a fastback profile, hidden under multiple black duvets, prowling the streets of Detroit!

I know she's out there somewhere!

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang
I agree that the s650 will have a mild hybrid drivetrain to increase power (and mileage). I don't expect a full electric Mustang coupe until 2028 at the earliest. Ford knows that they can't afford to mess up the classic Mustang. It's the symbol for their brand, not the Mach-e or a Mach-s. Maybe by 2028, the issues with BEVs will be resolved, i.e. lack of range, long charging times, and lack of infrastructure. Until then, I suspect the s650, aside from the hybrid, will be much like the s550.

PS: BTW, after looking at the Kia EV6, the Porsche Taycan, Audi E-tron dash and instrumentation, entertainment screens, they look so much better than the Mach-e dash. I hope Ford is listening.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
PS: BTW, after looking at the Kia EV6, the Porsche Taycan, Audi E-tron dash and instrumentation, entertainment screens, they look so much better than the Mach-e dash. I hope Ford is listening.
Overall the interior of the Mach-E is the big downside to me. Even though they designed the exterior to give it a Mustang appearance, the interior ist just bland and boring. It resembles nothing of a proper Mustang interior. They should have at least give the steering wheel a Mustang theme and add sportier seats.
The huge screen feels like they went for Model 3 ripoff hoping that this would be the next big thing. I get that some people might like the way it looks. But using while driving it is pretty bad since a lot of stuff is at the bottom of the screen, so you have to look way down from the street.
I think most carmakers finally understood that the classic dashboard concept with a gauge cluster, a top-center screen and physical buttons for your AC make sense. I absolutely prefer if electric cars are just designed like a regular cars instead of going for some strange "look at me" concept that just falls aparts once you get used to it.

To me the C8 really hit the nail on the head in terms of interior design. Two great looking screens for gauges and infotainment, high quality materials and pyhsical buttons for every function that you might want to use while driving. I really hope Ford will go more after that with the S650 than after the Mach-E

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I absolutely agree!

For S650, I hope they keep the look of the S650 interior, but upgrade the quality of the plastic and leather. Give it an 8" screen for the base models (replacing the embarrassing 4") and make a 10 or 12" screen for the Premium trim. The screens need to be integrated into the centre console, just as they are now, not stuck on like an iPad afterthought. And keep physical buttons for HVAC/seats/drive modes etc.

The look of the current interior is great, so it should be just a matter of small improvements. Rather like the change from the '09 model to the '10.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT
Oh yes, physical buttons please! I would be good to have the central screen in portrait orientation as it makes so much more sense for the navigation system. Love the knob on the Mach-E screen. Not sure portrait would suit the typical Mustang dash layout though, if it was ‘built-in”.

I am beginning to become worried that the S650 might not happen. Ford seems to have been affect more than most by the chip shortage and must be loosing a heap of money. Scrapping the S650 to save money would have to have entered the minds of management. Here’s hoping the company accountants don’t win the argument!

A hybrid Mustang however might be the only thing that allows an ice engined pony to survive to the end of the 2020s and maybe enter the early 2030s too, given some governments look favourably on hybrids, currently at least.

In the meantime, I still live in daily hope that a new post in this thread shows some evidence of the S650 still happening. Fingers crossed.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
The SEMA Lithium (EV) S550 concept had a vertical centre screen........doesn't look too bad :)

Lithium concept.jpeg
It looks like one of these cheap aftermarket display that imitate Tesla... Isn’t it mostly controlled by touch? If it’s optional it’s fine. Otherwise plz give me physical buttons to push!

S650 Mustang S650 is out there somewhere, isn't she? 1626870567030

I absolutely dislike the vertical alignment of the screen. It should be horizontal and placed in the upper center of the dashboard. The air vents could be placed elsewhere…The way the display is placed right now may look fancy but it is absolutely useless while driving. Even if one is just cruising around with 60 or 70 mph it’s distracting. The eyes have to move too far away from the street in order to get the information displayed on the bottom half of the screen. A HUD might help but that might be to ‘premium’ for a Stang – I would love it though…

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Also agree on buttons. I don't hit the screen a lot, use it for waze and music. I love the old school toggle type switching for driving modes, etc. Keep those.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I'd also like every automaker to do one thing that uConnect absolutely nailed. When you're in Android Auto, there's a strip of customizable car functions at the bottom of the screen. That feature makes the system so much more user friendly in daily use. If I want to do something like turn off the heated wheel in Sync, I have to:

back out of AA,
get to the right screen on Sync,
turn off the heated wheel,
go back into AA,
switch to the screen I was using...

...and finally pull my face out of the airbag because at this point I've crashed into a school bus full of orphaned puppies. With uConnect, I just tap the button on the bottom strip, then go on my merry way.
If nothing else, do it for the orphaned puppies...
Sponsored