• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 cancelled?

ClevelandV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2020 GT or HP Ecoboost
Those of us who own the 3.7 know what it is and what it can do.
If you look at the specs its easy to see it was built too well and Ford could not have it compete with its golden child Ecoboost.
I love mine. With very few mods the car will lay a patch in second and chirp third. Getting 26.8 MPG average over 14k.
I love the V8s but at this stage in my life I just don't need that much power. And since I just can not justify a 4 cylinder, the 2018 MY change has already pushed me away from another Mustang. If the rumours are true I will be jumping to another brand again to fulfill my personal wants in a Hot Rod.
I've driven my grandson's 3.7L 2013 V6 Mustang several times and was very impressed with the power and smoothness. The reliability ratings have been quite good for this engine, too.
Sponsored

ClevelandV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2020 GT or HP Ecoboost
I agree with your first statement.......absolutely no-one has stated the Mustang will be discontinued :)

But as for "what if they did kill it off"? The Mustang isn't just a materialistic ego-booster, certainly not for me. For me, it's a car with an amazing story behind it. It's a car that touches the hearts of souls of millions of people around the world. It's a car that brings people together, both via the internet and via meets and cruises. It's a car that helps for lifelong friendships. Some might even say it's not just a car, it's a way of life.

I just hope somebody gave Jim Hackett a copy of this for Christmas :)

S650 Mustang S650 cancelled? movieposter
Bingo !! The Mustang is part of Ford's DNA. Hopefully this way of thinking can be drilled into Hackett's brain.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I've driven my grandson's 3.7L 2013 V6 Mustang several times and was very impressed with the power and smoothness. The reliability ratings have been quite good for this engine, too.

The 3.7 was always better than it was made out to be. So what did Ford do ā€“ They killed it of course! I get they wanted to push the four especially for international sales. But they should have let the six go out with a bang with a full-on performance model and then killed it. As it stood it was the cheapest Mustang you could get into and was probably sold close to margin last year and probably only kept last year due to contractual obligations. But it was great value for the buck and my car buying philosophy is to get in on the ground floor of the next car up. So I was supposed to get a Hyundai Elantra (no chance of that happening BTW) as my DD but instead stretched and got the 3.7 Mustang. Absolutely no regrets there bud! This is a DD and I probably have a true sports car in like a Vette in two years but this one is surprisingly fun! Coming from 5.0s, I donā€™t have that inferiority complex the kids may have as they move up the performance scale, so I am quite happy right now. Ford killing it is just business and killing the S650 is the same. They run a company and get replaced if they donā€™t run it profitably or protect the share price. All this emotional stuff with the buyers ā€“ post sale ā€“ does not matter a whit to them.

Taking my bottom of the barrel philosophy to the Corvette means a base car with the usual one-upmanship in the Corvette community that you also get here (Iā€™m a glutton for punishment). But like real estate, it is better to be the cheapest house in the best neighbourhood than the most luxurious house in the ghetto. Just say ā€˜in...

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The V6 is interesting......I had assumed the Ecoboost 6 would make an appearance in S650 (not at the expense of the V8, but alongside it)......it never made it to S550 as it would fit in the engine bay (at least not and still pass certain requirements).

With the S550's extended timeline, would they look to alter the engine bay enough to fit the Ecoboost 6, or will the Ecoboost 4 and V8 carry on as the only two options (5.2 V8 aside).

No doubt Ford will keep us guessing until '21MY :ford:

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 , 2012 Boss 302
What you're missing is the M6 and Alpha platforms are quite superior to the s550, and the work needed to make the platform competitive just wasn't worth it

I assure you, you don't know better than the engineers at ford in regards to Motorsports engineering
Who said anything about knowing more then the engineers @ ford. The people responsible for a mustang race car from the factory are over @ FP, multimatic and Yates. I just WISH ford performance would build a mustang one level up from conti series. They have done it before. As far as a mustangs over @ LeMans....Saleen was the last guy to enter such a car. During my travels to Europe the young people love the mustang and canā€™t wait to get their hands on the new one. I had a Shelby T shirt on and every young guy wanted to see my collection back in the states. I hope you get your dream job and get your engineering degree. Cheers.
One more thing in Italy a mustang would have a terrible time on some of the roads in the Amalfi coast towns. Itā€™s a Hugh car over there. People would love to see the mustang back @ LeMans. Thats what ford doesnā€™t understand and want. Ford GT competing against a corvette ,Porsche and BMW. That wasnā€™t a overall win like back in 1966. One could say the ford GT was in the wrong class and Chevy has.

Last edited:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
IIRC it is actually a more rigid chassis.]
I'm curious, where is there any information confirming this?

From everything I can tell, the S550 does quite fine when equipped with similar tires and suspension components (GT350) compared to the Alpha.

What this shows is the chassis are more comparable...especially considering how well the reviews were for the GT350.

As for the camaros longer wheelbase and overhang, you get a smaller trunk and less interior cabin room to go with it. :headbonk:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The V6 is interesting......I had assumed the Ecoboost 6 would make an appearance in S650 (not at the expense of the V8, but alongside it)......it never made it to S550 as it would fit in the engine bay (at least not and still pass certain requirements).
Sounds like indirectly at least, this fascination with turbocharging is partly responsible. Too much pressure from the turbo-four to remain NA, too difficult to package/meet whatever requirements to go EB itself.

Kind of a shame, as a slightly uprated 3.7 S550 would probably make for a nice enough daily driver and a better than decent road course track day car (where only a little over 300 HP is enough for a fun ride at least up through the intermediate level if the chassis behavior is composed enough).

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sounds like indirectly at least, this fascination with turbocharging is partly responsible. Too much pressure from the turbo-four to remain NA, too difficult to package/meet whatever requirements to go EB itself.

Kind of a shame, as a slightly uprated 3.7 S550 would probably make for a nice enough daily driver and a better than decent road course track day car (where only a little over 300 HP is enough for a fun ride at least up through the intermediate level if the chassis behavior is composed enough).

Norm
You don't need to "uprate" the 3.7 to enjoy it. They are better engines than many of the boat anchor 4.6 engines Ford made. Lighter and more powerful with a great high revving character to them. I owned a 2011 V6 Mustang and remember breaking the tires loose at ~55 mph shifting into 3rd gear - that car was lots of fun to drive.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
As for the camaros longer wheelbase and overhang, you get a smaller trunk and less interior cabin room to go with it. :headbonk:
These are not related. BMWs are well known for short overhangs and have no problem with interior room or trunks in externally smaller vehicles. An M4 has 110.7" wheelbase with 183" length vs 110.7/188 for the Camaro and 107/188 for the Mustang. M4 and Mustang trunk volume is about the same (and about 3 ft3 more than Camaro). Camaro is the way it is on the inside because of how they wanted it to look on the outside.

Supermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt pp with recaros
So ford is goin to continue using the design and chassis of the s550 until 2024?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
So ford is goin to continue using the design and chassis of the s550 until 2024?
It will certainly be updated and improved upon from where it is.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
These are not related. BMWs are well known for short overhangs and have no problem with interior room or trunks in externally smaller vehicles. An M4 has 110.7" wheelbase with 183" length vs 110.7/188 for the Camaro and 107/188 for the Mustang. M4 and Mustang trunk volume is about the same (and about 3 ft3 more than Camaro). Camaro is the way it is on the inside because of how they wanted it to look on the outside.
I agree. I think you misunderstood the intentions of my post. :cheers:
Sponsored