• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Spectre is right. Call it an LTD and you will see it die a painful death. The name does matter. I don't know if the name Mustang has to be associated with it, but I am not sure it's a bad thing either. If the Maverick moniker had not been used with a truck, I could easily have seen it called the Mustang Maverick. Maybe there is another name associated with Mustangs that can be used...just as long as it's not the Mustang II...

That said, a boring, slow, poorly styled vehicle won't cut it. I want something fun and exciting, both to look at and to drive.
Sponsored

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
That said, a boring, slow, poorly styled vehicle won't cut it. I want something fun and exciting, both to look at and to drive.
Agreed. The Kia Stinger has shown us there's a market for a fast, good looking 4 door that's everyday usable. They just couldn't climb past their own reputation as a brand.

If executed correctly Ford could really do something incredible with this space and build a car that punches well above its weight class (rs7, AMG GT 4 door, etc)

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang
On the contrary I love the Mach-e. If I was in a market for a SUV, it would definitely be on my short list. But, for now I'm in the market for a sports coupe. I fully understand the branding / marketing angle. So, if we have a Mach-e SUV and potentially a 4 door Mustang. What will a Mustang coupe be called???

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the contrary I love the Mach-e. If I was in a market for a SUV, it would definitely be on my short list. But, for now I'm in the market for a sports coupe. I fully understand the branding / marketing angle. So, if we have a Mach-e SUV and potentially a 4 door Mustang. What will a Mustang coupe be called???
Well that's the easy bit. It will just be Mustang as it has always been. Mustang is the parent, and Mach-E, 4door, and whatever else they potentially cook up will be derivatives of that parent.

Now if you're referring to the four door coupe, who knows, since it(allegedly) will still have an ICE engine. they could call it Mustang Mach....4? 🤷‍♂️

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
simple solution - Taurus.
This might be a generational thing, but Taurus is not a name that remotely makes me think of anything sporty or fast. I just think bloated boat of a sedan.

I can all but guarantee that wouldn't sell. At least not to the demographic I would assume they're aiming for.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
To be clear I'm an enthusiast as well. But we need to own the fact that we are a minority and this is a business. For every 1 of us that hated the Mach-e because "iTs nOt a mUsTang", there are 10 people who bought one because it is.
No way that's the right proportion. More like for every 1,000 people who still hate the Mach E, everything it stands for and some of the people at Ford who made the decision, there's 1 person considering buying one.

Tysonren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Stinger
This might be a generational thing, but Taurus is not a name that remotely makes me think of anything sporty or fast. I just think bloated boat of a sedan.

I can all but guarantee that wouldn't sell. At least not to the demographic I would assume they're aiming for.
Unless it was a 'SHO'

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT
A report from here in Australia about the 4-door rumour:

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-ne...againoff-again-ford-mustang-sedan-rumours-why

How appropriate it would be to be named a Falcon, if it happens at all, given Mustang’s original Falcon foundations. I am not holding my breath though…

The Falcon does have a sporting history in the UK:
S650 Mustang Rumor: S650 Mustang 4-Door Sedan Will Debut in 2022 with 3 Engine Options 3-Dec-release-Photo-C

And a very strong, continuous muscle car history in Australia until recently:

S650 Mustang Rumor: S650 Mustang 4-Door Sedan Will Debut in 2022 with 3 Engine Options 382253_oiph7cv9ee2_full

OP
OP

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
This article might have some interesting information in-between the lines:

https://racer.com/2021/11/10/mustang-and-corvette-gt3-pony-car-wars-coming-in-2024/

Mark Rushbrook from Ford Performance is quoted: "... we want to race Mustangs around the world, since it’s now a global sports car. Not just North America, but we sell it around the world. We’re interested in racing that and the opportunity to race that in more series. "

So in 2024 a Mustang competes in a IMSA WeatherTech GT3 series according to Ford plans... That would be in line with a '23 S650 reveal and a '24 Performance version. Besides, there was an article about hybridization racecars a few months ago and if we dig a little bit deeper than articles about a new prototype class within the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship emerge: https://www.imsa.com/news/2021/11/08/lmdh-provides-manufacturers-gateway-to-future/
This new class, starting in 2023, will be specialized on hybrid technology and compete across the world “…anufacturers’ desire to showcase hybrid technology and compete across different series in similar specifications. Acura, Audi and BMW have committed to LMDh programs in addition to the aforementioned Cadillac and Porsche.”

The way I read this is: S650 confirmed for 2023 (or as a ’23 model), performance version one year later including electrification and since they sell the S650 globally they’ll race it around the globe. My crystal ball gazing is also telling me that the US and EU version will only be distinguished by power output and noise, if at all.

I really want some solid S650 news… :D