• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
Did you notice the method he used to remove them? I’d be tempted to buy a second stock set for ‘testing and evaluation’ on a closed course of course.
Agreed, rather manhandled it
Sponsored

Mod Mustang Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modularmotorsportsracing.com
Vehicle(s)
Worlds Fastest & Only 5 second Coyote
Unfortunately this test was not done in 5th gear (1 to 1) meaning the numbers are not correct no matter how you tweak them. I think this was a big error but understand the reason for it (so that it did not hit the speed limiter) Bottom line, the HP numbers would be lower in 5th gear and 1 to 1 is industry standard for dyno tests. And to be clear, this is not a shot at the HP numbers, I am sure it makes roughly what they claim - this test however was not representative.

728Autos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Not a big error. Maybe 10hp difference as explained by literally every other S650 dyno video that has explained the difference. The most important information in this video is the clear gains that were had on the same dyno per run.

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s
Dark Horse Manual
26 Miles on the clock

4th Gear - SAE Corrected:
- 438HP stock equipment
- 450HP Carbon traps removed
- 455HP Carbon traps removed + new air filters
Will be removing traps for sure!

OP
OP
Dub347sbf

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
Unfortunately this test was not done in 5th gear (1 to 1) meaning the numbers are not correct no matter how you tweak them. I think this was a big error but understand the reason for it (so that it did not hit the speed limiter) Bottom line, the HP numbers would be lower in 5th gear and 1 to 1 is industry standard for dyno tests. And to be clear, this is not a shot at the HP numbers, I am sure it makes roughly what they claim - this test however was not representative.
I had a whole post written up, but I dont want to stir anything up.

Ill say this. Dynos differ from day to day, and from dyno to dyno. Great tools for checking gains with mods. Not good for comparison across different dynos on different days.

Also, 1 gear difference to 1:1 on a dyno has been shown already on an auto 24 GT, and it was worth about 5 horsepower, with the 1:1 gear actually putting down more power until the speed limiter due to correction factors. I think this is as representative as you are going to get until the speed limiter can be tuned out.

Mod Mustang Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modularmotorsportsracing.com
Vehicle(s)
Worlds Fastest & Only 5 second Coyote
I had a whole post written up, but I dont want to stir anything up.

Ill say this. Dynos differ from day to day, and from dyno to dyno. Great tools for checking gains with mods. Not good for comparison across different dynos on different days.

Also, 1 gear difference to 1:1 on a dyno has been shown already on an auto 24 GT, and it was worth about 5 horsepower, with the 1:1 gear actually putting down more power until the speed limiter due to correction factors. I think this is as representative as you are going to get until the speed limiter can be tuned out.
Agreed, it was more of an observation than anything. As a company that runs an engine dyno cell we strive for repeatable results and standardized tests. Something like running the car in the wrong gear would null any official results. And again, to be clear, was not knocking the cars output or doubting it, simply observing and noting that SAE test standards were not used.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
On a side note, can we appreciate how gorgeous blue ember is? I know it's DH exclusive, but hopefully Ford offers it on all trims in a few years.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
It's usually about a 12% loss correct? That essentially means stock, it's making the power advertised.
Yep... 12% and while different dynos read differently so they are not 100% ... if you compare to GT350 dyno fluctuations... I 100% believe the Dark Horse is making the power advertised.....

Germansheperd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hellcat Jailbreak
There is ONLY 1 report card- What does it ET and what is the MPH. All the rest is a circle jerk.
FYI as posted above it wasn’t on a dyno in a 1:1 gear so the numbers are skewed. If it isn’t 1:1 I walk away, it is meaningless.

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
They are all different numbers whether they are official or not. The only dyno that matters is how you feel in the car and if it makes you happy. Also the true test is if it can line up with other cars and beat them in the real world. Then use the dyno to make sure the tune you get later is working properly in the future.

OP
OP
Dub347sbf

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
Here is an interesting take, talks about how removing the 'dyno plug' on these motors is hurting the numbers.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Lesson to be learned here..

Form an opinion from experience, so you do not look like a knob, like some new Ford hating individuals. These cars are not "DUDS".

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
A couple things to note
1) much like ported manifold the gains from carbon trap removal seem to be all over the place, but one consistent thing I’ve seen is big gains down low and it’s free so why not. Also porting plastic intake manifolds is kind of an art because while you can get a few hp smoothing everything out, most of the major gains you see “ especially from the Boss and CJ intakes” is because the porter take the intake apart, epoxies the inside and smooths everything over. It’s expensive and very time consuming but on cobra jet when done correctly it’s 20whp all day long. This is the main reason why you see conflicting results when guys port a stock manifold it comes down to the engine lottery. You could get a really crappy manifold with a lot of flash and bang 10-15hp because it wasn’t made very well. Or get an manifold that was made on a good day and gain absolutely nothing, I’ve seen it both ways
2) the gen 4 coyotes both GT and dark horse are rated right on the money. The reason why you have a lot of people talking crap is because with the new tier 3 emissions, and how ford hit there Hp targets are by changing the powerband in much more progressive top end kinda of engine. Not a bad thing but it doesn’t exactly translate well into dyno graphs, it also didn’t help that the 18-21 gen 3 coyotes where kinda underrated, I’m not saying they’re making 500hp but really 470hp was a more appropriate rating for them. This is why the American muscle dyno comparison showed a 10whp gain over gen 3, where this gets interesting is the 22-23 gen 3s are nerfed significantly because of the carbon traps, the 450hp rating was much more realistic and why guys showed a 20whp drop over the previous gen 3s. Late model did a 22 vs 24 and it was a massive difference in favor of the 24 “gen 4” car

keep your expectations in spec and you’ll be happy

Last edited:

R3AL3ST8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Vette Grand Sport, 21 Ram 1500 Limited.
"tHe nEw mUsTaNg iS sLoW aNd DoEsN't mAkE aS mUcH pOwEr aS aDvErTiSeD!"

Assuming a 15% DT loss this is 515/529/535bhp, which is MORE than advertised no matter how you look at it. Who would have thought all it needed was to be broken in? 🧐
Im just curious as to whether removing the carbon traps would fail a New York State inspection?
Sponsored