• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Drag/Roll GT vs Dark Horse

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s

Here is the one everyone has been waiting for.
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
4 tips vs 2 and yet …

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
This is actually criminal for the price increase between the 2. Ford should be really ashamed this year.

OP
OP
rchandler9

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s
I agree with the above (low $50K GT to $70K+ Dark Horse). But, I would like to see a track battle between the two with the same driver. Then I think we would see why the Dark Horse is so much more expensive.

NightSurgeX2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2018 Explorer Sport, 2024 Dark Horse
Yeah, in a straight line the base GT is very close, even better than the Dark Horse in some cases (the rolls). DH has the edge in the early gears, but loses the edge in the mid gears where the rolls start.

Like someone else said, the DH is a track focused car, not a strip. I would love to see the same driver use both cars on a track and compare times, heat levels, etc. If you just want to go fast in a line, get a GT!

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
This doesn't change my mind lol. I'd still take the DH. Stability, handling, the components that already come with the car. If I wanted a drag car I'd get the gt. I just want something that can do both. And can be pushed without running into overheating issues. Plus I plan to track the car some. So it's DH for me. Then once I'm bored, trade it for a gt500.

steyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT PP1 Rapid Red
This is how I felt driving both. I was in the market to buy one for my new daily.

I was like 90% sold on the Dark Horse. Got my loan and everything built around buying the Dark Horse and then when I went to the dealership assuming they wouldn't let me touch it unsupervised my salesman offered to let me drive the thing. I wasn't really considering the GT, just the DH and a '23 Mach 1 that was sitting on another lot.

I asked to drive a GT with active valve exhaust and Performance Pack just to compare and speed wise there was no discernible difference at all. After that I decided to get the GT and save 13k since I got to use the A/Z plan.

The Dark Horse is super cool, and I said in another thread that if you can't get the A/Z plan and are looking at a fully loaded GT Premium you may as well stomach the extra 5k and move up to a DH. But for the price difference I got with the A/Z plan it made no sense to spend the additional 13k on the DH.

Like another poster said if you're going to drag it just get a GT. If you want something for a track/twisties then get the DH. While speed wise they felt the same, you could definitely tell the steering and suspension felt tighter on the DH which would favor it on the track.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
This doesn't change my mind lol. I'd still take the DH. Stability, handling, the components that already come with the car. If I wanted a drag car I'd get the gt. I just want something that can do both. And can be pushed without running into overheating issues. Plus I plan to track the car some. So it's DH for me. Then once I'm bored, trade it for a gt500.
IMO: if you want the coupe get the dh if you want a ‘vert get the gt. If you want eco get the eb.

steyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT PP1 Rapid Red
I looked it up today, and lb per hp actually favors the GT w/ active valve (486hp). So if you're going to run it as a drag car get the GT and upgrade the tires.
Sponsored