• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Now I'm wondering if the Mustang after S650 will be exclusively electric or if they'll still offer an ICE option.

Also, wasn't 2035 the cutoff date for selling ICE vehicles or did they bump it up to 2030 while I wasn't looking?
The bans which were announced are at the state, and not national level. They are also not locked in stone so who knows.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pikere...egin-to-take-shape-in-the-us/?sh=7e3b4dc63e17

As are as the S750 no one knows. If there is one, and the success of the Mach-E certainly doesn’t guaranty it, betting full EV could be a winning move.
Sponsored

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Now I'm wondering if the Mustang after S650 will be exclusively electric or if they'll still offer an ICE option.

Also, wasn't 2035 the cutoff date for selling ICE vehicles or did they bump it up to 2030 while I wasn't looking?
I'm guessing all electric, or, even better, all electric and hydrogen power. For those who don't know, hydrogen engines are still zero emissions, but they sound and act a lot like gas powered vehicles. Making them ideal if you want to appeal to enthusiasts who still want that raw ICE feel. Ford filed design parents for a hydrogen powered v8 awhile ago, I believe it may have even been turbocharged, but I could be wrong. Either way, the future is bright. Despite increasing regulations, it seems like Ford will continue to evolve and perfect the mustang. Some individuals are against performance EVs or hydrogen cars, which is unfortunate imo. Because that's the tech that's going to ensure performance and enthusiast cars live on indefinitely. If we were still relying exclusively on ICE cars, then what comes next would be the god awful 70s and 80s all over again, where emissions regulations destroyed any performance potential in most cars. Thankfully, we don't have to deal with that again.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
For those who don't know, hydrogen engines are still zero emissions
but a fuel leak will burn without visible flame. And the gas turns things brittle. We'll have way more success IMO with H2N03-based engines. :) or better yet NH3

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
the sooner they can jettison the platform and those damn ICE people the better.
Maybe if they had a truly "clean" energy source, one that's reliable, has good range, can be refilled quickly and with convenient charging stations all over they place they would jettison those people sooner.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Maybe if they had a truly "clean" energy source, one that's reliable, has good range, can be refilled quickly and with convenient charging stations all over they place they would jettison those people sooner.
EV according to Websters:
a modern propulsion technology that epitomizes the ancient admonition about putting the cart before the horse - the reduction in dung smell by occupants of the cart not-withstanding.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
The bans which were announced are at the state, and not national level. They are also not locked in stone so who knows.
That's the first time I've heard that the bans weren't set in stone. My optimism for the Mustang is now slightly up from before.

(Is H2NO3 ammonia?) A hydrogen V8 would hold my interest, despite its seemingly unpredictably explosive nature. I'm just holding out hope that AWD hasn't been dismissed completely for the S650 or beyond.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
That's the first time I've heard that the bans weren't set in stone. My optimism for the Mustang is now slightly up from before.

(Is H2NO3 ammonia?) A hydrogen V8 would hold my interest, despite its seemingly unpredictably explosive nature. I'm just holding out hope that AWD hasn't been dismissed completely for the S650 or beyond.
There is absolutely zero indication that Ford is seriously looking at a third power source anytime in the foreseeable future. We have ICE, electric, & hybird. Anything else you see is just speculation. Now you stand a much better chance with AWD, at least on a hybrid or pure EV. But that will be later on, not in the next couple of years.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The Mach-E IS the Halo car. Marketing has been clear on that. S550/650 are dead-men walking and the sooner they can jettison the platform and those damn ICE people the better. I'm sure that's how they think. And anyway they have a ready-made excuse for 2030: Uncle Sam made me. So solly.
That's not funny at all.

but a fuel leak will burn without visible flame. And the gas turns things brittle. We'll have way more success IMO with H2N03-based engines. :) or better yet NH3
Hydrogen would be good, but I think C3H8 would be a better way to go. Propane burns very cleanly and gasoline engines can be converted. It's cheaper and easier to store than hydrogen. There's also a large distribution network.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
Hydrogen would be good, but I think C3H8 would be a better way to go. Propane burns very cleanly and gasoline engines can be converted. It's cheaper and easier to store than hydrogen. There's also a large distribution network.
I learned a number of new things today. Thank you everybody, once again. :)

KINGKONA

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1/AE/MAGNERIDE
In response to the OP, that's just what R&T thinks it's going to look like.

I can't wait for real, actual pictures of the new car.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
It was a joke. NH3 is ammonia which is a very common and industrially produced chemical.
People laugh, but they probably don't know about Ammonia engines. Almost ready for use in giant powerplants like the ones that are in freight ships and the like. Wartsila says they'll have on e available next year.

At a specific temperature and pressure (very narrow band) a mixture of NH3 and air is highly explosive.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
That's not funny at all.

Can one say Hindenburg? No thanks on the hydrogen.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Here is another thing to consider when it comes to hydrogen power ... as I understand it, hydrogen is typically obtained by cracking water into hydrogen and oxygen via electrolysis. Where does the energy come from to generate hydrogen at large scale? Yes, hydrogen is released as a byproduct in certain manufacturing processes, and there is a growing industry to capture those byproducts for sale and use, but that is not yet operating at a large enough scale to supply current hydrogen demands.

Not sure which ultimately trades better, generating electricity to power EVs or generating electricity to generate hydrogen to use as a fuel source to power hydrogen vehicles, but typically, the more steps involved, the lower the overall efficiency.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
The Mach-E IS the Halo car ...
Not so sure I would agree with that. In my mind, a halo car is something like the Ford GT, very low production volumes and priced deep into the 6 digit territory. The Mach-E is being produced in much larger volumes and even though it is more expensive than a garden variety eco-boost Mustang, it is on par with other EVs in the market and in the same neighborhood as Mach 1 (and while the Mach 1 is a very nice ride, IMHO it does not qualify as a "halo" car)
Sponsored