• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
And, unfortunately, the changes in the worlds landscape means that this will never happen. At least with a V8 RWD 2 door coupe. We’ve had a great run at 60+ years but it’s coming to an end. Sad, but true.
This would've been the part where I swooped in to say "Now's the time for a sport sedan (or Sportback in Audi terms) to rise up once again!", except I realized that would make me sound even more delusional than I already come across as. ☹

Please don't R.I.P. the Mustang as we here know it, Ford.
Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
only when those changing the landscape cause that to happen. Especially considering that’s the line we’ve been fed since the Fox-4, always with a promise that a true all-in new platform was forthcoming - only to never happen. And now we get the lie again

customers aren’t asking for an aging platform under their new mustang. It’s forced on them.

customers are also not asking for the v8 to sit on its behind while eco boost 4 and 6 cylinders get invested in and electric gets a ton of R&D.

ford has more than saved money in that time. Now is the time to invest and reap the rewards over time.

the Mustang (and it’s customers) deserve an actual NEW, highly engineered and capable platform. We’ve been milked enough for the past 20 years.
Personally, I fear that if the Mustang went down that route, it would end up as a limited run $200k+++ prestige vehicle more like the Ford GT. Mustang's have always been "parts bin" cars built on available platforms. If that changes, then its whole character changes and it's not really a Mustang anymore.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
Personally, I fear that if the Mustang went down that route, it would end up as a limited run $200k+++ prestige vehicle more like the Ford GT. Mustang's have always been "parts bin" cars built on available platforms. If that changes, then its whole character changes and it's not really a Mustang anymore.
Maybe there could be a viable solution in Ford spinning off for instance, an Iconic vehicle company division to manufacture these vehicles without affecting the main Ford EPA/EV/future compliance goals.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
And, unfortunately, the changes in the worlds landscape means that this will never happen. At least with a V8 RWD 2 door coupe. We’ve had a great run at 60+ years but it’s coming to an end. Sad, but true. :crying:
Wide body AWD electric Mustang. That’s not such a horrible ending as it sounds unless long distance travel is an attribute of the Mustang owner.
I wouldn’t even attempt to keep up with a performance battery car with a modern steam driven Muscle Car. No contest !

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Maybe there could be a viable solution in Ford spinning off for instance, an Iconic vehicle company division to manufacture these vehicles without affecting the main Ford EPA/EV/future compliance goals.
The more limited the production the higher the price tag.

The true spirit of a Mustang is an affordable sporty car that can be equipped from the factory mild to wild. It also has a history of being a platform that lends to DIY customization. Turning it into an exotic no compromise performance platform will kill off what makes a Mustang a Mustang just as much as turning it into an electric SUV will.

I fear the days for a vehicle like this are numbered. Don't blame Ford, the world just keeps changing.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
only when those changing the landscape cause that to happen. Especially considering that’s the line we’ve been fed since the Fox-4, always with a promise that a true all-in new platform was forthcoming - only to never happen. And now we get the lie again

customers aren’t asking for an aging platform under their new mustang. It’s forced on them.

customers are also not asking for the v8 to sit on its behind while eco boost 4 and 6 cylinders get invested in and electric gets a ton of R&D.

ford has more than saved money in that time. Now is the time to invest and reap the rewards over time.

the Mustang (and it’s customers) deserve an actual NEW, highly engineered and capable platform. We’ve been milked enough for the past 20 years.
I'd imagine the s750 will be all electric with an all new platform and more radical design. I know it's frustrating that the s650 is basically a revised s550, but just be grateful that ford is bothering to continue the v8 mustang for the next decade or so.

Reactions: Jem

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
When referring to what customers are asking for, you have to remember that Ford's customers are for all of their vehicles, not exclusively Mustangs, so the reality is that most of their customers are, in fact, asking for those things. They vote with their dollars, and are buying vehicles other than Mustangs for the most part. Given that, Ford has focused their development on what sells more vehicles overall and what makes them the most money. That means the Mustang will not get as much of an investment.

That can certainly be disappointing for Mustang fans, but it works better for Ford as a company than spending a ton of money developing a platform that would never sell enough to recoup the investment.
MYbe Mustang is more than that. It appeal to people who don’t want aFord yet they want a mustang. It’s an icon. All Ford has to do is honor what they said they’d do and stop dragging out an ancient platform every time. Sure it’s serviceable, but it’s high time they kept their word and went for it.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
I wonder where the production floor is. 30,000 units? If lower then just shutter the plant, fire all the workers and sell it for scrap? I doubt they'd retool for Mach-E or Maverick production let alone Bronco, or Ranger

The 650 can't be more than a handful of superficial set of mods with the only notable 'change' probably being the 'tech' and interior, and a couple of mildly re-shaped body panels that mount to S550 hardpoints. No point making an investment in a dead-man-walking platform and model. Just enough to keep the fanboys churning purchase and maybe by dint of being one of the cheapest options by a long shot, stealing marketshare from Audi/BMW/Toyota/Nissan as everybody else stops doing natural aspiration and stick shift.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
man all new platform would solve many issues, from sight (and thusMPG) performance and handling, free acelleration benefits, aero, and setting the car up for the future. AWD, hybrid structures built in, etc. these don’t need to be “saved” in order to make electric look better waits a false handicap on ICE. I’m not against anelectric Mustang proper. I am simply pointing outthe enormity of what Ford purposely left on the table for no good reason. It’s not economics since that money will need to be spentsooner than later.Saddlebagging what may be the last ICE pony car in order to prop up the Mach E and save
And, unfortunately, the changes in the worlds landscape means that this will never happen. At least with a V8 RWD 2 door coupe. We’ve had a great run at 60+ years but it’s coming to an end. Sad, but true. :crying:
That’s the kind of thinking that relegates a once revolutionary car to dinosaurstatus. That’s probably what happened in the boardroom unfortunately.

GM WENT ALL OUT on reinventing the corvette and that’s a niche car. and you want to act like it doesn’t deserve special treatment also? More so.

the bummer of this is it feels like ford is treating the mustang like a liability and so it “ gets to” stick around so long as it doesn’t make too much fuss. But the. With decisions like s650, it’s like they are setting it up tomiss its potential.

This car. This nameplate is a national treasure. And it deserves a heck of a lot more. IF AN ICE AVETTE CAN GET TWO all new engines, and a fully new amazing platform, there is ZERO reason why a more popular car from a company with better engine tech can’t at least do that much - especially since that’s what we were promised. Again.

Last edited:

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
MYbe Mustang is more than that. It appeal to people who don’t want aFord yet they want a mustang. It’s an icon. All Ford has to do is honor what they said they’d do and stop dragging out an ancient platform every time. Sure it’s serviceable, but it’s high time they kept their word and went for it.
They would either have to take a loss on it, or charge a ton of money - you can't get around the financial reality - and they are unlikely to do either one. As mentioned before, it would become a halo car if they sunk all that money into development and that's not a Mustang either.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
the bummer of this is it feels like ford is treating the mustang like a liability and so it “ gets to” stick around so long as it doesn’t make too much fuss. But the. With decisions like s650, it’s like they are setting it up tomiss its potential.
I promise you, if Mustang, or any brand name became a "liability" Ford would just drop it. Ford is in business to make a profit for its shareholders, full stop. Mustang as a brand within their portfolio either helps Ford to achieve that goal or it gets discontinued. The directors of the corporation literally have a fiduciary responsibility to do just that. That is the only potential that matters.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I promise you, if Mustang, or any brand name became a "liability" Ford would just drop it. Ford is in business to make a profit for its shareholders, full stop. Mustang as a brand within their portfolio either helps Ford to achieve that goal or it gets discontinued. The directors of the corporation literally have a fiduciary responsibility to do just that. That is the only potential that matters.
That’s exactly why Ford fast tracked the F-150 Lighting to market and pantsed GM.
GM is in shock standing there holding each other’s man parts making up excuses why Ford beat them to the 1/2 ton EV market !!!
If Ford can be the first to the 1/2 ton EV market they can be the first to the Mustang Muscle car EV market.
The only thing dying here is the exhaust note.

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
The Original Mustang was pretty much an existing car with a few pieces moved around, but Better-Looking than Most.

The Next Mustang will be pretty much an existing car with a few pieces moved around, but Better-Looking due to the Options available with an Electric Skateboard Chassis.

Both were or will be able to take Advantage of existing Economies of Scale to keep the Price Reasonable and the Performance Acceptable.

Most of us Old-Timers will be gone by then and there will be no one to complain about the lack of ICE.

It will be 1964 all over again for a New Generation of Mustang Buyers, Owners and Drivers who will remember nothing from the Past

A Clean Slate!

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
you completely missed the point.
The Mustang is not currently a liability. But it’s being treated as if that’s inevitable. It’s not.

A product is like a garden. You get out of it what you put into it. Give it just enough to survive and that’s what it will do. But cultivate it and tend it like a precious thing snd it will thrive.

it’s being treated like a hot potato right now. Hopefully some actual modern car guys get traction in the boardroom again. Whether that means electric, etc., that’s fine. That part IS inevitable. But leave Fox behind. It’s done. Been done for a while. Sure the original car was not a new platform, but the Fox was. It’s time to do thst all over again. And it would have been right to do so by now.

some of you guys who call yourselves old timers might be fine with it but some of us who have a way to go would like more.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
man all new platform would solve many issues, from sight (and thusMPG) performance and handling, free acelleration benefits, aero, and setting the car up for the future. AWD, hybrid structures built in, etc. these don’t need to be “saved” in order to make electric look better waits a false handicap on ICE. I’m not against anelectric Mustang proper. I am simply pointing outthe enormity of what Ford purposely left on the table for no good reason. It’s not economics since that money will need to be spentsooner than later.Saddlebagging what may be the last ICE pony car in order to prop up the Mach E and save

That’s the kind of thinking that relegates a once revolutionary car to dinosaurstatus. That’s probably what happened in the boardroom unfortunately.

GM WENT ALL OUT on reinventing the corvette and that’s a niche car. and you want to act like it doesn’t deserve special treatment also? More so.

This car. This nameplate is a national treasure. And it deserves a heck of a lot more. IF AN ICE AVETTE CAN GET TWO all new engines, and a fully new amazing platform, there is ZERO reason why a more popular car from a company with better engine tech can’t at least do that much - especially since that’s what we were promised. Again.
To be fair, the c8 is niche, but it also has high transaction prices. I wouldn't be surprised if the average c8 was sold for a price in the mid 80s at least. Yes, the mustang can get pricy, but let's not forget the starting price is in the high 20s/low 30s. As someone else mentioned, ford could develop a bespoke ICE platform for the s650, but that would likely lead to a price increase of at least 10-15k across the board. As stated earlier, I would expect the s750 ev mustang to have a new platform, along with a more radical design and levels of performance. That's a fair trade off imo, the s650 perfects the already pretty solid s550 platform to serve as a last grand sendoff for ICE muscle cars, and the s750 ushers in the new age of greatness.
Sponsored