• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is MotorTrend right about the new S650?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1

Their new review of the Mustang.

- Design is a step backwards and sideways (agree)
- Mustangs looked cool and this one doesn't (disagree)
- Ugly grill (disagree)
- Ugly nostrills like a Ram pick-up truck (disagree)
- Weird headlights with 3 bulbs (agree)
- Side looks good (agree)
- From the B-pillar back looks like Camaro (agree)
- Weird boomerang taillights (agree)
- Quad tips cool (agree)
- Diffusor cool (agree)

Overall, missed opportunity for Ford (agree)

Don't get me wrong, I like the new Mustang, but it is a missed opportunity and I hear it from many others. It could have been so much better.

The tail lights are still a thing for me that I can't get used of, especially because I was in love with the S550 tail lights.

The front looked weird in the beginning, but I still kinda like it, except for the 3 bulbs.

What do you guys think? Did the reviewer got paid to like the Dodge, is he a Dodge fan? Or is he just right about the new design of the Mustang?

I think he made some good points.

I hate that guy
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That review irritated me so much I couldn't watch the entire thing. I think the S650 looks good. Definitely an improvement over the 2018+ GT styling. I used to like Lieberman, but everything I've seen him in for the last couple years has been terrible.

I really like the new Mustang colors, too.

Mainly what I don't like about the Mustang are the price and some mechanical things. But the Dodge isn't better, that's for sure. I do think the Dodge is good looking, but it looks like a 15 year old car, whereas the Mustang exterior styling looks new.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That review irritated me so much I couldn't watch the entire thing. I think the S650 looks good. Definitely an improvement over the 2018+ GT styling. I used to like Lieberman, but everything I've seen him in for the last couple years has been terrible.

Mainly what I don't like about the Mustang are the price and some mechanical things. But the Dodge isn't better, that's for sure. I do think the Dodge is good looking, but it looks like a 15 year old car, whereas the Mustang exterior styling looks new.

He sounds like Remi from Ratatouille. Nails on a chalk board to me

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
The only thing I really agree with is that it's a missed opportunity. Hard to know what kind of logistical battles they had to fight when developing this thing, but I do have a strong opinion that there's a huge X factor missing, from packaging, lack of innovation, and pricing. It's like the iPhone 15 if you had the 14, except Apple let you know this was the last phone they're making. You expect WAY more. But if you didn't have an iPhone, or you own say an 11, it's still an accomplished product worth buying.

Jonny Lieberman is insufferable though. To his credit, he's highly opinionated and I'd rather hold a conversation with someone confidently voiced than a people-pleaser. I follow him on IG and find myself disagreeing with his design statements way more often than not.

Note that this is the kind of guy who openly stated that this is a brilliant design:

1697323064299.png

Last edited:

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
He's definitely bang on to really nag Ford about the crappy gearing and identity crisis.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He's definitely bang on to really nag Ford about the crappy gearing and identity crisis.

I understand they wanted to save the Tremec for the DH, but the GT should get this transmission too as we are already getting the gas guzzler tax. The whole point of the MT82D4 was the taller gearing to keep the GT out of the gas guzzler tax.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I understand they wanted to save the Tremec for the DH, but the GT should get this transmission too as we are already getting the gas guzzler tax. The whole point of the MT82D4 was the taller gearing to keep the GT out of the gas guzzler tax.
Agreed. Baffling decision.

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
It's like the iPhone 15 if you had the 14, except Apple let you know this was the last phone they're making. You expect WAY more.
Meh. I just upgraded my iphone 14 pro max to the 15 pro max. I traded my '21 s550 for a '24 s650. I didn't have unrealistic expectations, and I'm very happy with both.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The whole point of the MT82D4 was the taller gearing to keep the GT out of the gas guzzler tax.
Dumbest move ever. The Tremec gearing is no better, though.

Jivor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT
Well, what is the unit cost for the Tremec versus the slushbox in the GT? If the later is less, then that's a fair guess as to why.

MagneticMartian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I'm going to go against the grain here, I know nobody likes to talk badly about what they spent their life savings on but I will give my honest opinion. I had an s550 ecoboost and test drove a bunch of s550 GT's and was very close to buying one but waited for the 2024. I now have the 2024 GT Premium Vapor Blue with the Performance Pack and active exhaust, pretty much every package except recaro seats. It has been about a month now so the honeymoon period is wearing off and I have to say I feel like it is a step down from the s550. The only thing changed in the interior is the dash and steering wheel as the seats and doors are the same, the gears don't show unless you switch to manual mode unlike the s550 (minor issue) and the digital dash looks worse than an s550.

In terms of exterior the s550 (2018+) looked very sleek with a lot more body lines and could look absolutely amazing modded and lowered and had a huge aftermarket because of that reason. The s650 in my opinion looks much more bulky and fat which I get is more like a muscle car but I just prefer the design of the 2018+ s550 especially the back. I also don't see much exterior modding potential because I just can't imagine anything that can make it look better other than a different front splitter or exhaust tips. The S550 also has much higher torque on every dyno and seems to beat the s650 in a race in anything but perfect conditions which should not be happening but they're close enough that speed doesn't really matter to me and my s650 is my daily driver.

I also think the s550 sounded better with exhausts which is the greatest disappointment for me since I'm obsessed with sound and is the whole reason I wanted a V8 and I've spent countless hours watching exhaust videos. So personally I think this car is a downgrade from the s550, the only thing it has going for it is that it is new and there are a million s550s out there so I'll enjoy being unique for a while.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer

What I really hate about the challenger is you get people like him defending a bad design because it's retro. Of the three pony cars, the challenger has the worst fundamental proportions and profile. It has a cool looking grille, and lights, but everything else looks significantly worse than the mustang, and even the Camaro. Like the overall shape of the car I mean, just looks bulky and ungainly to me.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT
I'm going to go against the grain here, I know nobody likes to talk badly about what they spent their life savings on but I will give my honest opinion. I had an s550 ecoboost and test drove a bunch of s550 GT's and was very close to buying one but waited for the 2024. I now have the 2024 GT Premium Vapor Blue with the Performance Pack and active exhaust, pretty much every package except recaro seats. It has been about a month now so the honeymoon period is wearing off and I have to say I feel like it is a step down from the s550. The only thing changed in the interior is the dash and steering wheel as the seats and doors are the same, the gears don't show unless you switch to manual mode unlike the s550 (minor issue) and the digital dash looks worse than an s550.

In terms of exterior the s550 (2018+) looked very sleek with a lot more body lines and could look absolutely amazing modded and lowered and had a huge aftermarket because of that reason. The s650 in my opinion looks much more bulky and fat which I get is more like a muscle car but I just prefer the design of the 2018+ s550 especially the back. I also don't see much exterior modding potential because I just can't imagine anything that can make it look better other than a different front splitter or exhaust tips. The S550 also has much higher torque on every dyno and seems to beat the s650 in a race in anything but perfect conditions which should not be happening but they're close enough that speed doesn't really matter to me and my s650 is my daily driver.

I also think the s550 sounded better with exhausts which is the greatest disappointment for me since I'm obsessed with sound and is the whole reason I wanted a V8 and I've spent countless hours watching exhaust videos. So personally I think this car is a downgrade from the s550, the only thing it has going for it is that it is new and there are a million s550s out there so I'll enjoy being unique for a while.
I’m by no means an S650 hater but I do think your comments are very perceptive. I myself took a chance on snagging a couple of the last new ‘23 Mach 1s I could find that I liked. I must admit I was a little distressed when I saw the 2024 horsepower ratings but I feel vindicated that they perform about the same.

Again I don’t at all dislike the exterior looks of the S650 but I’ve always felt that the 18+ S550 is one of the prettiest grand touring cars ever produced, on par with many much pricier Europeans. And good Lord yes, that V-8 sound in track mode well, there’s nothing like it.

So yeah, I too am happy but I doubt that the average non-enthusiast could see them going down the road nose-to-tail and tell any difference.
Sponsored