• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is 486hp enough?? Let’s discuss

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 GT350 #028 & #383
There is never enough hp (at least for me). If I could find an easy way I would even add more hp to my 750 hp. You can get used to everything quite easy, so, no, 486 or 750 is not enough. :like:
Your comment is right on the money. I don't understand the need for the original poster's questions. I upgraded my 2019 GT350 from 526 to 550 hp, only to that point because of concern with breaching warranty and state testing situations. Also upgraded my Corvette C7 Z06 from 650 to 710 hp, taking into account my previous warranty/state requirements.
The above poster was correct that there is never enough.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Your comment is right on the money. I don't understand the need for the original poster's questions. I upgraded my 2019 GT350 from 526 to 550 hp, only to that point because of concern with breaching warranty and state testing situations. Also upgraded my Corvette C7 Z06 from 650 to 710 hp, taking into account my previous warranty/state requirements.
The above poster was correct that there is never enough.
The thread title might have read, “Is 486 stock horsepower enough”. My answer for an engine warrantied for five years and sixty thousand miles is yes. For those who want more there are plenty of ways to get there.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT 2022
It will be enough when my vision becomes blurry due to the acceleration/G force, or my rear axle detaches, then its enough. :giggle:

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Bullitt
I don’t need a bigger horse, I need a faster horse. 420hp is plenty if they can trim some fat out of it, but I havent heard it will be any lighter
Agreed. If the Challenger were 6/8 the current size that would be in my paddock. I'd even like the Mustang to trim up a bit. I like the coke bottle shape, but is too wide in the rear for my likes. Gen 4 is reportedly even wider and wil likely be heavier.

Fun data here: https://weightle.com/ford-mustang

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Definitely agree, as long as its a v8 im happy, people be complaining bout a hp number that they prob wont even feel the difference
That's the big problem. If I don't feel a difference, why spend money?

I mean, I like the new dash and all, but it doesn't convince me to buy. I think the old dash was fine. I don't care much about the lipstick; I want the car to perform better.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The horsepower numbers are incredible for an NA small block 5.0. How can anyone complain when the rest of the world is either losing their car (Camaro) or seeing it turned into a mean green machine (mopar)?? Go Ford!
I'm fine with complaining about GM and Dodge not making any more good cars if you'd like to discuss that. Those companies definitely suck.

I'm grateful that Ford is still making a V8 car that is relatively "small" and sporty.

However, even if no-one else is making a new car, there are plenty of used and aftermarket options that will be around for our lifetimes. Any new vehicle that is offered for sale has to compete with the existing vehicles. If it isn't enough better than existing vehicles, but the cost is sky-high... I just don't feel motivated by what I've read so far to plunk down probably ~$70-75K.

I've started thinking about buying and building a 5.0 from a junkyard. I think that would be a lot of fun. Improve the heads, more lift in the cams, lighter pistons and better rods for more RPM...

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS
Horsepower is like ammo. You never think you have enough but there is definitely a limit as to how much you can use

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Horsepower is like ammo. You never think you have enough but there is definitely a limit as to how much you can use
idk, I can use quite a bit of both of those. My foot is heavy and I can pick my times and places (knocks on wood). My finger quick and reloads are fast too. With stripper clips you don’t even spend mich time reloading mags.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
I think 486 is a good surprise as historically the GT has been UNDER the previous top Mustang by a few, so being over the Mach1 is nice.

I just wish they also put in effort to strip out some weight. I still dont get why Nissan can give light weight forged Rays wheel to things like the Q50 and Maxima that weight just 22-23lbs but the best Ford can do on a much more expensive car is 34-36lbs unless you drop HUGE coin on a CF wheel. Performance Pack wheels shouldn't be over 25-26lbs and there is no reason they can't cut weight out other places.

Also, no reason that its 2023 and their Aluminum parts still get paint bubble issues.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I think 486 is a good surprise as historically the GT has been UNDER the previous top Mustang by a few, so being over the Mach1 is nice.

I just wish they also put in effort to strip out some weight. I still dont get why Nissan can give light weight forged Rays wheel to things like the Q50 and Maxima that weight just 22-23lbs but the best Ford can do on a much more expensive car is 34-36lbs unless you drop HUGE coin on a CF wheel. Performance Pack wheels shouldn't be over 25-26lbs and there is no reason they can't cut weight out other places.

Also, no reason that its 2023 and their Aluminum parts still get paint bubble issues.
Cost

good news is those are one of the easiest things to replace

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Let’s not forget, the S550’s last thing it needed was a bunch more power

The steering and interior quality were bigger issues than anything to do with power

So take the forum bench racer glasses off and look at things at face value

More power
Better quality consistency
Papa John’s

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco
My personal belief is that they capped DH at 500hp to leave room for another NA hipo variant, hopefully a Boss.
Ford could easily do a 500+ HP 5.0, a NA 600+ HP Predator, and a NA 700+ HP Godzilla. The question is whether they have the manual transmission and the will for the job.

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco
Let’s not forget, the S550’s last thing it needed was a bunch more power

The steering and interior quality were bigger issues than anything to do with power

So take the forum bench racer glasses off and look at things at face value

More power
Better quality consistency
Papa John’s
Dodge would beg to differ.
Sponsored