• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is 486hp enough?? Let’s discuss

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I’ve seen more and more posts about how disappointing the new figures are for all 3 engines. In a lot of ways i completely agree especially for the poor 2.3, y’all had an opportunity here to truly make a next gen 350hp 2.3 that everything the RS engine wasn’t lol but nope we got 315 like huh? But i digress, emission standards are the main reason why you’re seeing these lack luster figures and why the 2.3 has a hot side EGR like it’s a Yanmar diesel “just stay away”. I’d be very curious to see the development history with this gen 4 engine and hear the back story. It’s pretty wild that they went to all this trouble to get a whole 20-40hp over the last gen engines. I also wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t feel like the extra horsepower was worth the potential trade off in emissions or mpg. Remember there is no free lunch we can have a 500hp stock coyote but it might not pass NOX. I think we are at a 2005 Mustang moment where the competition is dead and they’re going to take it easy with the R&D budget. You have to remember that you can only get so much out of some fuel and molecules of air. We are at the limit, and as I’ve said in the past getting 500hp N/A out of a run of the mill V8 that isn’t some high strung flat plane crank engine is a difficult challenge

S650 Mustang Is 486hp enough?? Let’s discuss E8EE59EE-1E03-45BE-97CC-1F1793B7056F

S650 Mustang Is 486hp enough?? Let’s discuss 269393FC-7C02-4EB2-BB62-5171249EC5FB
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
It’s pretty wild that they went to all this trouble to get a whole 20-40hp over the last gen engines.
Honestly I don't think they went through a whole lot of trouble. The Gen 4 is almost identical to the previous generations, it's not a whole new design like back in 2011. Heck, even the Coyote is largely based on the Modular architecture that came out back in 1996. So a lot of the design R&D has long been done.

Also, as you eluded to, emissions and mileage restrictions are getting tougher and tougher which limits how wild they can go with the engine.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I thought most people were pleased with the GT numbers? They’re a nice bump IMO
Because people like to bitch and moan about shit they're probably never going to buy anyway.
Despite the title of the thread I don’t think he’s complaining, sounds like he’s rationalizing the number given the current landscape

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Honestly I don't think they went through a whole lot of trouble. The Gen 4 is almost identical to the previous generations, it's not a whole new design like back in 2011. Heck, even the Coyote is largely based on the Modular architecture that came out back in 1996. So a lot of the design R&D has long been done.

Also, as you eluded to, emissions and mileage restrictions are getting tougher and tougher which limits how wild they can go with the engine.
Can you imagine them dumping money into a brand new architecture when we’re seeing 100hp/L out of the current unit while meeting emissions standards?

Wouldn’t make sense especially when we already have like six or seven large OEMs (including the entire VAG umbrella) proclaiming that they’ve either already ceased R&D on new ICE development or are going to be fully electric by 2030-2035

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
I'm 100% ok with 500hp for the Dark Horse and 486hp for the GT, Ford is probably at the limit of what they can do within emissions requirements, and I think Ford Performance or the tuning community is going to be the ones to get the impressive numbers, FP mainly because they can say "Off-road use only"

noac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
The horsepower numbers are incredible for an NA small block 5.0. How can anyone complain when the rest of the world is either losing their car (Camaro) or seeing it turned into a mean green machine (mopar)?? Go Ford!

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
How can anyone complain when the rest of the world is either losing their car (Camaro) or seeing it turned into a mean green machine (mopar)?? Go Ford!
Because people MUST find something to complain about. To that point, I was recently looking up air fryers on Amazon. I think on the Ninja one this dude gave it a 1 star because he couldn't use it to fry cheese. Apparently this dude's dream was to fry cheese. He was so upset, bitching and moaning about $90 on this piece of shit.

Anyway, guess the same kind of people are complaining the GT doesn't have 850hp NA.

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14' Honda Civic EX; 14' Honda VFR800 DLX
480-486 is an awesome number for this car. Especially if we put the gains into perspective from the not so distant past...

2010-2011 saw a massive increase going from the 4.6 to the 5.0. We will never see that again because the writing is on the wall (sadly) and the competitors have thrown in the towel (again, sadly). From the 2011 Coyote (412/390) to the 2023 Coyote (450/410) we see a total gain of 38hp/20tq. That's over the course of 13 years! Now we have 486/418. Improvements over the previous model by 36/8. Compared to the previous 13 year spread of 38/20, I'd say this bump is pretty stellar for the "base" 5.0.

Yes, special models (Bullitt and M1) made more power but for the sake of keeping things as fair as possible, those should be kept in the conversation with the DH. Also, I'm not cherry-picking the 460/420 numbers from the pre-nerfed 5.0. IMHO, we'd have to go with current engines as they meet/exceed all of the emissions requirements.

Let's just hope the weight gain on the car was kept to a minimum...

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
I think it's gonna be pretty awesome.
I'm expecting it to be quicker than gen 3 cars.

Say 11.7s is stock, high 10s with longtubes and E85.
I can fully see these cars edging 2-3 tenths across the board vs a similar modded gen3.

Maybe they're even....underrated.