• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How much of the GT/DH power is actually usable by the everyday driver?

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
Like many things, it's all about taking it slow and being patient. Most people who buy performance cars know what they're getting and have experience with them, high HP and TQ. The ones that get in trouble are the ones who THINK they know what they're getting. If you're new at this, take it slow and learn the car, it will teach you its capabilities and shortcomings. I had to learn to drive all over again when I got into road racing, and it's been a valuable education, both on the track and off.
Sponsored

Killshot58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Premium GT, Vapor Blue, Nite Pony Pkg
Hey all...It's getting to be that point in time again where I am going to start looking at a new vehicle.

About me. Mostly highway driving or some surface streets. Some opportunities for running a twisty road, but nothing like they have out in California...but still better twisties than they have in Illinois.

I've been using a RWD V8 most of my driving career. 72 427ci Thunderbird, 5.7 olds diesel (yeah, it was a POS, but I wasn't in a position to choose at the time), an I-6 Toyota 2.8 5M-GE (peppy and quick at 156 hp) 4.6L Ford Thunderbird (205 hp), 4.3L Toyota V8 (300hp), BMW 550i 4.4L N63 (it's been replaced with a new long block) 400 hp. 2010 Ford Diesel (400 hp, 800 ft-lb torque)
As you can see, I've been going up in HP pretty much since I first started driving.

I prefer cruisers (Dodge Charger/Chevy SS/SHO sized), but I figure a mustang (no kids, just dogs and a wife, or a guitar) would not be out of place. Honestly, I was really looking forward to the new electric Dodge, but the range on it just isn't where I want an electric to be). I guess I was just wondering....How much HP is too much, especially for a Mustang? I mean, I get about 4 seconds of push into the back of the seat, and then I run out of speed limit. It's a lot of fun to run up to 65 or 70 depending on what particular interstate I am traveling on, it also have to be controllable. Smokey burnouts are not my thing. Well controlled and enthusiastic acceleration and handling are, like snaking through a traffic circle when no one else is around...or better, when some big lumbering SUV is riding your bumper and you get to see the "holy mother of god" look in their eyes when they realize they can't go around that circle like you can.

In my current (HEAVY) sedan, 400 hp is not too much. It's controlled, responsive, and if press down the accelerator just a little too much, it's not going to spin me in a circle if I don't want it to. BUT...in the 85 Toyota Cressida, that thing would spin and break loose with just 156 hp as it had no real weight in the trunk to keep the wheels planted.
I get what you're saying. You're only going to be using a small fraction of the HP unless you don't mind getting speeding tickets! That said, the GT is the right choice. The power is there when you need it. You'll never get pushed around on the roads!

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
Just wondering how the Mustang does in the rain if your driving normally? Do I need to be worried about the tires slipping and letting loose in the rain with normal acceleration and driving?
hardly. And if for some reason your neurons are unable to regulate your right foot there is 'rain/snow' throttle mode.

The coyote and i4 makes no power below 3000 RPM. So if you're gonna be afraid of your shadow stay below that.

If you want to drive hard and fast on public roads you'll be using 2/3rd gear and keeping it over 3500 and using lotsa pedal. Esp the Eco, it only comes ALIVE over 3000 and lots of gas.

My everyday driving I don't use 6th unless over 80mph. My RPMs stay well north of 2000 and up to about 4500 unless Stupid mode is engaged where I might exceed 6.

The trick is to buy a 6-speed manual and the 3.73 rear gears. Anything less and you might as well have bought a Kia.

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
hardly. And if for some reason your neurons are unable to regulate your right foot there is 'rain/snow' throttle mode.

The coyote and i4 makes no power below 3000 RPM. So if you're gonna be afraid of your shadow stay below that.

If you want to drive hard and fast on public roads you'll be using 2/3rd gear and keeping it over 3500 and using lotsa pedal. Esp the Eco, it only comes ALIVE over 3000 and lots of gas.

My everyday driving I don't use 6th unless over 80mph. My RPMs stay well north of 2000 and up to about 4500 unless Stupid mode is engaged where I might exceed 6.

The trick is to buy a 6-speed manual and the 3.73 rear gears. Anything less and you might as well have bought a Kia.
So I should cancel my GT A10 I have on order w/3.55's because it's going to terribly slow? Off to the Kia dealer I go,lol.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

Was gonna say how can I disagree, although maybe no power should/could be nothing to write home about but otherwise … 😁

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
So I should cancel my GT A10 I have on order w/3.55's because it's going to terribly slow? Off to the Kia dealer I go,lol.
Not sure I’d classify the 3.55 a10 gt as terribly slow though…

509Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 F-150 4X4. Waiting on 2024 GT convertible in
The a10 is quicker than the 6sp manual! But one thing the 6sp has going for it is it makes it harder for most thieves to steal because they can’t drive sticks!😂😂

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Not sure I’d classify the 3.55 a10 gt as terribly slow though…
Ok glad to hear I won't be disappointed. Also glad I won't be visiting the local Kia dealer anytime soon, lol :)

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
A GT/DH is going to be just fine for daily driving. I don't really think horsepower should be a consideration for daily driving? The fastest speed limits are around 70-80mph and even little Fiats and old Toyota Corollas can do those speeds just fine. For daily driving considerations, maybe consider more comfort and tech features that make the commute less mundane and more enjoyable. Not sure how you will be able to put that horsepower to use when you are stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic going 20mph on the highway.

rubbertoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I've driven my stock gt several times in the rain in sport mode. No problems at all but I don't get crazy with the gas pedal.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
i daily mine and the power is very much usable. plenty of power to get up to speed, pass someone, and beat a Tesla Model 3 Performance in a race, while having a very nice ride, even in the triple digit speeds. only issue comes when it rains, you have to be gentle with the throttle or put it in slippery mode. giving it more than 40% throttle at lower speed in the rain will instantly lose traction

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
There are plenty of legitimate reasons why people buy the 10R80, and short-sighted, simpleminded comments like this are tiresome.

OP
OP

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
So it sounds like both the GT and the DH are capable of being a DD.

I don't do a city commute (WFH) and most of my driving is country lanes or multi-lane freeway, so I am not really worried about traffic killing the mood

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
There are plenty of legitimate reasons why people buy the 10R80, and short-sighted, simpleminded comments like this are tiresome.
come on, man. Haven't you noticed I'm a one-drum band? :)
I keep 'subtly' reminding people only 6MT is the correct choice because it is. :) :)
Sponsored