• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How is the Anti-Theft System on the Premium 401a ?

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
I know about keeping the FOBS in a faraday case but overall how well does the factory system work? Is it prone to false alarms? Exactly what does it detect (intrusion, jacking up, motions etc) as the manual is unclear, unless I am reading in the wrong places which is highly possible.. Thanks in advance. Any pointers to documentation would be great !
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I've been doing some deep dives on this this morning. I'll take a stab at it...

Ford has been standardizing its security packages over the last several years. Technology and other features which were previously options are now common across models. Consumer preferences have changed. Security packages times past were seen as something for more expensive cars. Now, we expect it in any vehicle we buy.

Ford's explanations are often not detailed or clear and I can't blame them. Of the countless documents they continually crank out, I can appreciate the difficulty to be specific, maintain consistency or capture changes.

Common security across all models, regardless of package:

- Engine immobilizer. Car will not start unless FOB is presented
- The ability to locate the car via the Ford Pass App

Features detailed below are part of the Security Package, available in the following trims:

Ecoboost, 201A

GT Premium, 401A

DH, 701A (Free Standing Option "97B" with 600A).

Passive security:

- Wheel locks

Active security:

- Interior sensors, to detect if someone or something is moving inside the car
- Exterior sensors, to determine is someone or something is moving around the car
- Motion sensors, to detect if the car is physically being moved
- Center Locking console, enabled when car is locked

How good is it? I have the Enhanced Security Package, which has all the features described above, passive and active. I've not had one false alarm. I've not read of anyone having problems. It's not overly sensitive. I've been able to detect subtle tells when the sensors are beginning to register activity. Yes, I'm glad I have it. I like that it's a factory-installed package. There are some fine aftermarket ones out there, but then you run into the issue of maintaining it with that vendor, or if electrical problems later ensue, who's at fault. If I had something more high-end, I might consider an additional tracking device or something of the sort.

Securing the FOBs is a great practice. Keeping general security principles (lock the car, garage the car, if possible, nothing valuable inside the interior which can be seen, keep a low personal and social media profile).

Trucks are the #1, 2 and 3 targets in my area. Crimes of opportunity. People leaving their car unlocked, leaving it running, something in the seat. Special marks, like GT350s and 500s, are always going to be a higher risk; these are many times stolen-to-order and shipped overseas.

Location can be an additional concern. Southern CA, all of FL, Chicago, NJ, Houston, the Mexican border. Anywhere that is vehicle rich, near major transit and shipping hubs is going to be a hot spot for vehicle theft.

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I've been doing some deep dives on this this morning. I''ll take a stab at it...

Ford has been standardizing its security packages over the last several years. Technology and other features which were previously options are now common across models. Consumer preferences have changed. Security packages times past were seen as something for more expensive cars. Now, we expect it in any vehicle we buy.

Ford's explanations are often not detailed or clear and I can't blame them. Of the countless documents they continually crank out, I can appreciate the difficulty to be specific, maintain consistency or capture changes.

Common security across all models, regardless of package:

- Engine immobilizer. Car will not start unless FOB is presented
- The ability to locate the car via the Ford Pass App

Features detailed below are part of the Security Package, available in the following trims:

Ecoboost, 201A

GT Premium, 401A

DH, 701A (Free Standing Option "97B" with 600A).

Passive security:

- Wheel locks

Active security:

- Interior sensors, to detect if someone or something is moving inside the car
- Exterior sensors, to determine is someone or something is moving around the car
- Motion sensors, to detect if the car is physically being moved
- Center Locking console, enabled when car is locked

How good is it? I have the Enhanced Security Package, which has all the features described above, passive and active. I've not had one false alarm. I've not read of anyone having problems. It's not overly sensitive. I've been able to detect subtle tells when the sensors are beginning to register activity. Yes, I'm glad I have it. I like that it's a factory-installed package. There are some fine aftermarket ones out there, but then you run into the issue of maintaining it with that vendor, or if electrical problems later ensue, who's at fault. If I had something more high-end, I might consider an additional tracking device or something of the sort.

Securing the FOBs is a great idea. Keeping general security principles (lock the car, garage the car, if possible, nothing valuable inside the interior which can be seen, keep a low personal and social media profile).

Trucks are the #1, 2 and 3 targets in my area. Crimes of opportunity. People leaving their car unlocked, leaving it running, something in the seat. Special marks (GT350s and 500s) are always going to be a higher risk; these are often stolen-to-order and shipped overseas.

Location can be an additional concern. Southern CA, all of FL, Chicago, NJ, Houston. Anywhere vehicle rich near major transit and shipping hubs.
Since they are short on specifics are we able to be without introducing potential vulnerabilities or would that fall into the awareness category?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Since they are short on specifics are we able to be without introducing potential vulnerabilities or would that fall into the awareness category?
Any vehicle manufacturer suffers from two security pitfalls:

1. The components and systems they use are standardized across their entire product line. If I can attack one, I can attack all.

2. The Internet. Having a reasonable understanding of electronics, access to both common and dark web, one can purchase or gain insight on virtually anything, or pay someone to get that information.

Very broad topic, but I'll generalize at three levels of sophistication:

- Basic. You're trolling, looking for crimes of opportunity. Someone has left their car running to warm up and you take it. You see something in the seat and do a smash-and-grab. No experience required

- Intermediate. You see something nice and want to take the car. You scan for FOBs and find it (the owner left it within 30 ft / 10 m of the car, unprotected). You walk up with your hand-held device to accomplish a relay attack: the car thinks you're standing there with the key. You start the car and drive off

- High. You steal for hire, expensive cars. You probably have a connect at a dealer that can produce FOBs or cut keys. After doing some basic reconnaissance (during which you documented the VIN), you later walk up with your key and take the vehicle. For these cars in-particular, odds are good it's going overseas

For the overwhelming majority of us, by following the basic security habits, you should be fine. The risk is always there. One always needs to be attentive.

NatGeo's "Trafficked" with Mariana van Zeller has been a great series on any number of topics. I'm attaching the link to one she did on auto theft.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Regarding motion and proximity detection. Are they enough to keep critters and dogs at bay or just enough to alert for humans and malcontents? The internal is handy but annoying when you forget.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Regarding motion and proximity detection. Are they enough to keep critters and dogs at bay or just enough to alert for humans and malcontents?
It hasn't been an issue for me and I've not read of it being one for others.

The proximity sensors will detect someone or something approaching or moving around the car. In a sense, it gives the car an external heightened awareness of its surroundings so it can pounce, but the alarm will not sound.

Much to the annoyance of my neighbors, when I first got the car, I intentionally bumped and pushed on it; the car was not overly sensitive. I lightly brush up against it occasionally and nothing happens.

Works as I'd expect it to. Security systems in general have gotten more sophisticated, without the annoyances (always going off) of years past.

OP
OP

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Skye... Thank you so much for your very detailed and informational reply. All that you are saying makes perfect sense. The reason I am asking questions is I go way back to the 70's where alarms were horrible and mostly useless. We would put kill switches in our cars to prevent theft as alarms were more of a PITA than they were worth. This system sounds pretty decent and I suspect other than getting carjacked, it will require a rather sophisticated system to override the protection. I live in a very safe area but all you have written regarding common sense security applies. Once again thank you very much!

thelostone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang
With todayā€™s technology this OBD2 Port Lock would be the best investmentā€¦ most push button cars can been overridden with a simple tablet, Obd2 plug and software ..
S650 Mustang How is the Anti-Theft System on the Premium 401a ? IMG_0956

MITI OBD Protector | Metal OBD2 Port Lock Cap | Car Anti-Theft OBD Locking Device | Model R https://a.co/d/dTNtv38

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler, '24 VB Mustang GT PP Vert 6sp

1. The components and systems they use are standardized across their entire product line. If I can attack one, I can attack all.

2. The Internet. Having a reasonable understanding of electronics, access to both common and dark web, one can purchase or gain insight on virtually anything, or pay someone to get that information.

- Basic. You're trolling, looking for crimes of opportunity. Someone has left their car running to warm up and you take it. You see something in the seat and do a smash-and-grab. No experience required

- Intermediate. You see something nice and want to take the car. You scan for FOBs and find it (the owner left it within 30 ft / 10 m of the car, unprotected). You walk up with your hand-held device to accomplish a relay attack: the car thinks you're standing there with the key. You start the car and drive off

- High. You steal for hire, expensive cars. You probably have a connect at a dealer that can produce FOBs or cut keys. After doing some basic reconnaissance (during which you documented the VIN), you later walk up with your key and take the vehicle. For these cars in-particular, odds are good it's going overseas

For the overwhelming majority of us, by following the basic security habits, you should be fine. The risk is always there. One always needs to be attentive.

NatGeo's "Trafficked" with Mariana van Zeller has been a great series on any number of topics. I'm attaching the link to one she did on auto theft.

Wow, thanks Skye for that link. Very interesting and now at least I'll know where my car might show up one day. I didnt see any 6sp manual Mustangs though so maybe I'm safe? LOL

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler, '24 VB Mustang GT PP Vert 6sp
It hasn't been an issue for me and I've not read of it being one for others.

The proximity sensors will detect someone or something approaching or moving around the car. In a sense, it gives the car an external heightened awareness of its surroundings so it can pounce, but the alarm will not sound.

Much to the annoyance of my neighbors, when I first got the car, I intentionally bumped and pushed on it; the car was not overly sensitive. I lightly brush up against it occasionally and nothing happens.

Works as I'd expect it to. Security systems in general have gotten more sophisticated, without the annoyances (always going off) of years past.
I love it when I walk into my garage and the light show begins, almost like it's saying, hi lets go!

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT

Great video! Makes me wonder if I should buy a junker instead of an S650.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I found the movie, "Gone in 60 Seconds" with Nicholas Cage pretty informative on carjacking:crackup:

Jokes aside, as others have said, don't keep your valuables in plain sight or if you do, put them in the center console. I find the security package on the vehicle sufficient. Having the FordPass to be able to track your vehicle's location is a nice bonus.

@DCS, as long as you take preemptive safety measures when locking your vehicle and have good auto insurance, I'm sure you have very little to be concerned about. So far, I have only had one vehicle break-in, but that was at a park and apparently, someone had been scoping the area out. Nothing that insurance could not take care of. Lesson learned though. I don't go there anymore.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
We have a 2020 F150 LIMITED.
The inside Motion Detector went off in the middle of the night.
I went out with our German Shepherd.
Found out a Miller Moth set off the Alarm.
Iā€™m currently trying to decide what package I want in the 2024 Mustang I plan on purchasing this Spring when the weather gets warmer.
Looks like the 401A with be my choice after reading above.
Thx
UPDATE,
I ordered our 2024 GT Mustang on February 19, 2024. with the 401A Package.
I was told 16 to 20 weeks. It is what it is.

Last edited:

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
I found the movie, "Gone in 60 Seconds" with Nicholas Cage pretty informative on carjacking:crackup:

Jokes aside, as others have said, don't keep your valuables in plain sight or if you do, put them in the center console. I find the security package on the vehicle sufficient. Having the FordPass to be able to track your vehicle's location is a nice bonus.

@DCS, as long as you take preemptive safety measures when locking your vehicle and have good auto insurance, I'm sure you have very little to be concerned about. So far, I have only had one vehicle break-in, but that was at a park and apparently, someone had been scoping the area out. Nothing that insurance could not take care of. Lesson learned though. I don't go there anymore.
Watching that NatGeo video made me realize that car thieves will do their best to disable the GPS first thing which neutralizes FordPass. Roger, all the other common sense suggestions.
This car (if I ever get it) will be the "hottest" car I have ever owned. I chose white and no stripes or fancy wheels to tone it down a bit. I call it "Stealth Mode". The AVE will give it away though.
Sponsored