• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How is the Anti-Theft System on the Premium 401a ?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Ford Pass is no use for tracking a car. Even the most dim witted thief will know a Sync master reset will disconnect Ford Pass.

I assume (but don't know) the S650 keys go to sleep now if not moved to prevent relay theft? certainly all European Fords have this type of key now.
Sponsored

infinitemberstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse - Blue Ember - MT
You would also want to consider the welcome show lights. Frequencies are always being emanated from the car detecting for the key. If an adversary would sit and scan that frequency and collect enough nonce / they could clone your fob! I disabled that welcome show lighting based on key fob proximity on day #1!

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Ford Pass is no use for tracking a car. Even the most dim witted thief will know a Sync master reset will disconnect Ford Pass.

I assume (but don't know) the S650 keys go to sleep now if not moved to prevent relay theft? certainly all European Fords have this type of key now.
I'm curious though... all vehicles with FordPass have a cell modem in them for FordPass to work. Unless the thief pulls the power from the cell modem, I would assume someone within Ford would be able to track a vehicle regardless of Sync being reset unless the thief removes the modem entirely. If Ford was smart, to some extend, they could have the modem tied up to multiple points within the vehicle to the point that if the modem is removed or disabled, the vehicle becomes a paper weight (think back to 2 Fast 2 Furious where Jimmy told Brian that the Evo and Spyder were wired to where the tracker for the vehicle was tied into multiple points in the vehicles... I know it's just a movie, but still could be plausible).

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I'm curious though... all vehicles with FordPass have a cell modem in them for FordPass to work. Unless the thief pulls the power from the cell modem, I would assume someone within Ford would be able to track a vehicle regardless of Sync being reset unless the thief removes the modem entirely. If Ford was smart, to some extend, they could have the modem tied up to multiple points within the vehicle to the point that if the modem is removed or disabled, the vehicle becomes a paper weight (think back to 2 Fast 2 Furious where Jimmy told Brian that the Evo and Spyder were wired to where the tracker for the vehicle was tied into multiple points in the vehicles... I know it's just a movie, but still could be plausible).
AirTags use group think - low tech low cost but still just depends upon who

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
AirTags use group think - low tech low cost but still just depends upon who
Huh?

Regardless, not entirely a bad idea for anyone concerned about getting carjacked. Just know that if the thief has an Apple iPhone, they will eventually get a notification that there is an AirTag located within their vicinity. At that point, it'll be interesting to see how dedicated the thief is to finding it and how good the owner is at hiding the AirTag :crackup:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
My concerns are not so much at home where I can put the FOBs in a faraday box, but more out in public where I am walking around with the FOB in my pocket. Yes I know pocket Faraday pouches exist but most of them don't seem to work as well as the boxes do.
Thoughts?

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
My concerns are not so much at home where I can put the FOBs in a faraday box, but more out in public where I am walking around with the FOB in my pocket. Yes I know pocket Faraday pouches exist but most of them don't seem to work as well as the boxes do.
Thoughts?
Uh... I feel like that's a bit out there. I love my Mustang, but I don't see anything that special about my particular vehicle that would make me that paranoid about leaving out in public and someone stealing my car. But hey, if that's how you feel, might I suggest you look at something else? No point in getting a vehicle if it's just going to make you paranoid about it being stolen. Don't get me wrong. The first few days I had my car, I was paranoid just parking it in a public parking lot in fear of someone hitting it, but it started making me sick to my stomach. A few days later, I got over it *shrugs*

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
the location tracking is only able to be done by people with the vehicle on their FordPass. AFAIK, nobody else can track location.

Huh?

Regardless, not entirely a bad idea for anyone concerned about getting carjacked. Just know that if the thief has an Apple iPhone, they will eventually get a notification that there is an AirTag located within their vicinity. At that point, it'll be interesting to see how dedicated the thief is to finding it and how good the owner is at hiding the AirTag :crackup:
it's not just iPhones, Android devices check to see if an AirTag has been following you for an extended period and if so send a notification. Rare instance of Apple setting aside their differences for the good of all

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Great video! Makes me wonder if I should buy a junker instead of an S650.
This gets into ease of theft, location and market demands.

When it was discovered older Kias and Hyundais could be stolen in moments, people began boosting them like crazy.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pka...-of-kia-and-hyundai-thefts-this-data-shows-it

I follow general security practices we've been discussing. I'd be much more worried if I owned one of the cars above or a new truck. My car? Meh. Yea, it's flashy and all, but the guy needing a truck or a low-vis DD isn't going to want it.

Location is going to have an impact. Pivoting to costal areas with shipping ports, I imagine its more specialty, modified and styled cars that can be taken and shipped quickly. And not always cars. High-end SUVs are often prime targets.

Anyone interested in researching further, start googling state sites. Any local and state office is going to maintain data on thefts and crime.

https://www.denvergov.org/Governmen...Crime-Information/Additional-Crime-Dashboards

Above is an example for Denver. Selecting the top/first dashboard link, the "Top 20" vehicles being stolen are listed. Crooks here are looking for a quick score and under-the-radar transportation.

but more out in public where I am walking around with the FOB in my pocket.
I haven't researched all the companies, but I'm using two from SLNT; they make a pouch big enough to enclose a fob and not much else (extra small), in all kinds of colors.

https://slnt.com/collections/faraday-bags-for-keys/products/key-fob-guards

Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Thoughts?
You still need to be fairly close to the car even with a relay attack - more than a couple of hundred meters will be fine in most circumstances. The thief would need to be near the car with the relay device and either do it just as you leave the car or just as you walk back. Thieves don't like risks, they carry out relay attacks when nobody is around / at night

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This gets into ease of theft, location and market demands.

When it was discovered older Kias and Hyundais could be stolen in moments, people began boosting them like crazy.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pka...-of-kia-and-hyundai-thefts-this-data-shows-it

I follow general security practices we've been discussing. I'd be much more worried if I owned one of the cars above or a new truck. My car? Meh. Yea, it's flashy and all, but the guy needing a truck or a low-vis DD isn't going to want it.

Location is going to have an impact. Pivoting to costal areas with shipping ports, I imagine its more specialty, modified and styled cars that can be taken and shipped quickly. And not always cars. High-end SUVs are often prime targets.

Anyone interested in researching further, start googling state sites. Any local and state office is going to maintain data on thefts and crime.

https://www.denvergov.org/Governmen...Crime-Information/Additional-Crime-Dashboards

Above is an example for Denver. Selecting the top/first dashboard link, the "Top 20" vehicles being stolen are listed. Crooks here are looking for a quick score and under-the-radar transportation.

I haven't researched all the companies, but I'm using two from SLNT; they make a pouch big enough to enclose a fob and not much else (extra small), in all kinds of colors.

https://slnt.com/collections/faraday-bags-for-keys/products/key-fob-guards
When sco[o]ping a ā€˜beaterā€™ gotta check the undercarriage. Even a sleeper is gonna have beef showing somewhere. Donā€™t matter what it looks like on the outside itā€™s whatā€™s inside that matters when it counts.

OP
OP

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
You still need to be fairly close to the car even with a relay attack - more than a couple of hundred meters will be fine in most circumstances. The thief would need to be near the car with the relay device and either do it just as you leave the car or just as you walk back. Thieves don't like risks, they carry out relay attacks when nobody is around / at night
That makes a lot of sense. I did a little research on relay attacks and just one of the bad guys walking around with what appears to be a TV antenna of sorts would attract unwanted attention.
I guess I'm just a little paranoid !!!

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Last edited: