• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How much of the GT/DH power is actually usable by the everyday driver?

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Hey all...It's getting to be that point in time again where I am going to start looking at a new vehicle.

About me. Mostly highway driving or some surface streets. Some opportunities for running a twisty road, but nothing like they have out in California...but still better twisties than they have in Illinois.

I've been using a RWD V8 most of my driving career. 72 427ci Thunderbird, 5.7 olds diesel (yeah, it was a POS, but I wasn't in a position to choose at the time), an I-6 Toyota 2.8 5M-GE (peppy and quick at 156 hp) 4.6L Ford Thunderbird (205 hp), 4.3L Toyota V8 (300hp), BMW 550i 4.4L N63 (it's been replaced with a new long block) 400 hp. 2010 Ford Diesel (400 hp, 800 ft-lb torque)
As you can see, I've been going up in HP pretty much since I first started driving.

I prefer cruisers (Dodge Charger/Chevy SS/SHO sized), but I figure a mustang (no kids, just dogs and a wife, or a guitar) would not be out of place. Honestly, I was really looking forward to the new electric Dodge, but the range on it just isn't where I want an electric to be). I guess I was just wondering....How much HP is too much, especially for a Mustang? I mean, I get about 4 seconds of push into the back of the seat, and then I run out of speed limit. It's a lot of fun to run up to 65 or 70 depending on what particular interstate I am traveling on, it also have to be controllable. Smokey burnouts are not my thing. Well controlled and enthusiastic acceleration and handling are, like snaking through a traffic circle when no one else is around...or better, when some big lumbering SUV is riding your bumper and you get to see the "holy mother of god" look in their eyes when they realize they can't go around that circle like you can.

In my current (HEAVY) sedan, 400 hp is not too much. It's controlled, responsive, and if press down the accelerator just a little too much, it's not going to spin me in a circle if I don't want it to. BUT...in the 85 Toyota Cressida, that thing would spin and break loose with just 156 hp as it had no real weight in the trunk to keep the wheels planted.
Sponsored

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
chassis development has come a long way. I daily drove a 19 GTPP1 A10 - and its not scary if you know what I mean- I mean if you hit a slick spot it will step out on you if you are flooring it off the line - but for the most part it is useable power

ecc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Mustang Coupe, 24 Mustang GT, 24 Blazer RS
I've had mine for a month and it's my daily driver. I've had no issues, though the worst weather I've driven in has been rain.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I guess I was just wondering....How much HP is too much, especially for a Mustang?
LOL. You might as well ask me how many guns are too many ... :crackup:

There is no such thing as too much HP or too many guns ... :rockon:

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
LOL. You might as well ask me how many guns are too many ... :crackup:

There is no such thing as too much HP or too many guns ... :rockon:

I'm the same. But I do know some people that 1 gun is too many for them and I also know some people that can't handle stock HP on some pretty mild cars.

This is a self-confidence type of question IMO and if it needs to be asked then the OP might need to ask "himself" if he can handle it. And not others that don't know him.

Too further add. I had no problem giving my wife my 2018 Whippled F150. Only because "I knew her and how she drove and more importantly she respected the power the truck made. She also understood it could get stupid real fast if she wanted it too.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm the same. But I do know some people that 1 gun is too many for them and I also know some people that can't handle stock HP on some pretty mild cars.
Honestly, I don't think I could be friends with people like that ... :cwl:

I had no problem giving my wife my 2018 Whippled F150. Only because "I knew her and how she drove and more importantly she respected the power the truck made. She also understood it could get stupid real fast if she wanted it too.
Same here, except it was my '2016 Corvette Z06 ... :crying: She respected that car. Then again, so did I.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
The Econo Boost is sufficient at 300 HP to get you down the road and deal with daily driving or road trips. Face it, the V8 is just more fun and makes you want to get behind the wheel. On dry clean surfaces, the car will do a good job of staying glued to the road so it comes down to the driving experience that you want out of a car. I can always press less on the gas but there is a limit to how much depending on the engine.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bottom line, HP and torque are visceral.

If you view an automobile as transportation to get you from point A to point B, then you don't need HP or torque. If you are what I'd call someone with the true American spirit, you love you some HP and torque ... and guns! :)

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bottom line, HP and torque are visceral.

If you view an automobile as transportation to get you from point A to point B, then you don't need HP or torque. If you are what I'd call someone with the true American spirit, you love you some HP and torque ... and guns! :)
Hell yeah brother!!

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Econo Boost is sufficient at 300 HP to get you down the road and deal with daily driving or road trips. Face it, the V8 is just more fun and makes you want to get behind the wheel. On dry clean surfaces, the car will do a good job of staying glued to the road so it comes down to the driving experience that you want out of a car. I can always press less on the gas but there is a limit to how much depending on the engine.
100%!!!

EdMan63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse, 2023 Explorer ST
Depends on what you value. Driving enjoyment or bragging rights. The Mustang in stock form is more than acceptable for street or highway driving IMO. Wet surfaces can add a different variable. Horsepower desires are an individual thing, but 400-500 is more than adequate for street driving. You can never really use more than that without risking a ticket or jail.

Last edited:

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Turn off traction control and floor it from a stop. You'll get sideways. Traction control does a lot!

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Depends on what you value. Driving enjoyment or bragging rights. The Mustang in stock form is more than acceptable for street or highway driving IMO. Wet surfaces can add a different variable. Horsepower desires are an individual thing, but 400-500 is more than adequate for street driving. You can never really use more than that without risking a ticket or jail.
I see your in MI too. You mention wet surfaces adding a different variable. Just wondering how the Mustang does in the rain if your driving normally? Do I need to be worried about the tires slipping and letting loose in the rain with normal acceleration and driving? I have a GT on order that's getting built at the end of the month. This is going to be my daily driver here in SE Michigan. I currently drive a RWD sedan and have since 2015 so hopefully the '24 GT is no big deal in the rain,etc.

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
I see your in MI too. You mention wet surfaces adding a different variable. Just wondering how the Mustang does in the rain if your driving normally? Do I need to be worried about the tires slipping and letting loose in the rain with normal acceleration and driving? I have a GT on order that's getting built at the end of the month. This is going to be my daily driver here in SE Michigan. I currently drive a RWD sedan and have since 2015 so hopefully the '24 GT is no big deal in the rain,etc.
I don't normally drive my Mustangs in the rain but I have had to recently, I choose the slippery mode which will make it harder to spin the wheels.

EdMan63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse, 2023 Explorer ST
LOL!!! Mine has been in the garage almost since I bought it last December. It has not seen any rain but I guess I should have prefaced it by saying "aggressive driving" on wet surfaces could be dicey. I knew a guy with an older GT500 that totalled it on the freeway during rainy weather due to a spin out. I think the older live axle cars were a bit more volatile. Plus traction control helps alot nowadays.
Sponsored