• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

GT Perpormance Pac versus base DH

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
Planning to trade in my 19 GT PP1 MR DD in a year or two. Will probably be the DarkHorse, possibly Blue Ember. Understand some of the differences of DH, but was wondering about suspension. Looks like same brakes and sway bars, but what about spring rates, MR and driving mode tuning? I saw some where that DH has different steering ratio and rear-end cooler. K brace, rear lower control arms, cradle??? Not sure about anything. Obviously the PP gets better every year, and also the DH was sold as an upgrade to the Mach 1. It would be nice if Ford would just list all the differences!​
Hate to keep bothering people, tried to do a search, but trying to plan ahead and I'm anal!​
Sponsored

GT0038

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT/sold :(
The performance advantages of the DH really show up when you take it to the track. IMHO if you don't plan on ever going to a local HPDE then save your money and go with a GT PP.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
ItemGT PP (401A)Dark Horse (600A, non-hp)
Brakes1-piece front rotor, Black/Red/Grabber Blue calipers2-piece front rotor, Black/Grabber Blue/Notorious Blue calipers
SuspensionOptional MagnerideMagneride Standard
InteriorChrome trim, heated and cooled leather seats, heated leather steering wheel, leather door panel inserts"Black Alley" sparkly dark grey trim, heated vinyl and alcantara seats, heated leather and alcantara steering wheel, alcantara door panel inserts
SeatsRecaro optionalRecaro optional
TransmissionsGetreg MT-82 6-Speed Manual or 10R80 10-Speed AutomaticTremec TR-3160 6-Speed Manual or 10R80 10-Speed Automatic
Extra CoolingAuxiliary oil cooler, Auxiliary transmission cooler (10R80 only)Auxiliary oil cooler, Auxiliary transmission cooler, Auxiliary differential cooler
DifferentialTorsen StandardTorsen Standard
BadgingChrome/Black/Bronze front pony emblem or Blue "GT/CS" badge, Chrome/Black/Bronze/Blue "5.0" fender badging, Chrome/Black/Bronze GT "Performance" deck lid badging or Blue GT "GT/CS Performance" deck lid badging, pony emblem puddle lamps"Dark Tarnish" sparkly dark grey front pony emblem, Dark Horse fender and deck lid badging
OtherBlack and grey/Black and red/Black transparent optional or Black and blue stripes standardBlack and grey hood stripes standard, painted hood and trunk stripes optional

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I looked at a DH recently at a local dealer. Beautiful car, but I really like the brushed aluminum look of the door handles and the lighted door sill guard in the GT premium over the DH interior.

I agree if you aren't going to track it the added cost may not be worth it for the DH, but you will have something special with the DH if that's your thing. Personally, I love my PP GT and have no buyers remorse not getting the DH. It does everything I want it to.

OP
OP
Cobrakit

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not trying to say one is better than the other, just identifying the difference to the handling aspects of the cars. I know the DH has other differences as well. This was my first draft, please update if you have better info.

GT PP1DH
Springsupgradedstiffer?
Sway Bars33.3/2433.3/24
MRYesYes
MR TuningUniqueUnique
Traction ControlUniqueUnique
F. Brakes15.3/615.3/6
F. Rotors1 piece ?2 piece
R Brakes14/414/4
Steering Ratio15.5 to 1quicker ?
K BraceYesYes
Wheels9/9.59.5/10
Radiator/fans?Upgraded
Oil cooler?Aux
Diff Cooler?Yes
Drift E BrakeNoYes

Last edited:

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
The performance advantages of the DH really show up when you take it to the track. IMHO if you don't plan on ever going to a local HPDE then save your money and go with a GT PP.
Never driven a Dark Horse- but if anything like the GT vs Mach 1 - I would say back road canyon carving would expose the differences as well - I could tell a difference just driving around between a GT and a Mach 1 Handling pack

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
I never considered a GT, I wanted the Dark Horse because it looks cooler and with limited available, will hold its value better than a GT.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor R, '21 Bronco First Edition, '23 GT3
My experience with the MT-82 in two '13 B302's was lackluster at best. If there haven't been any updates with that transmission in the new GT, enjoy the 3rd gear grind when trying to accelerate. For that reason alone I'd go with the DH. I haven't any negative comments about the Tremec and that transmission was fantastic in my GT350's.

OP
OP
Cobrakit

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was hoping to get more techinical difference on handling related differences. Ford is terrible at describing their cars.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Was hoping to get more techinical difference on handling related differences. Ford is terrible at describing their cars.
Comparing Mach 1 I drove with HP to GT PP1 I owned at the time ....

Car just felt more sorted - more predictable - turn in was better - dampening was better
I definitely felt like I could push the car more then my Performance Package car (this was even with springs and lighter weight HRE wheels on my PP car)

If you are just cruising down the highway or to cars and coffee or looking for just straight line- my Performance Pack GT was an awesome car

But the handling pack Mach 1 I drove was just better - I wasnt even pushing at 10/10 - it was better even at 7/10s -

I would imagine the Mach 1 with lighter wheels - lets just say my 350R is not even the same car as my GT Performance Pack was

mark46l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP2 2020
Not trying to say one is better than the other, just identifying the difference to the handling aspects of the cars. I know the DH has other differences as well. This was my first draft, please update if you have better info.

GT PP1DH
Springsupgradedstiffer?
Sway Bars33.3/2433.3/24
MRYesYes
MR TuningUniqueUnique
Traction ControlUniqueUnique
F. Brakes15.3/615.3/6
F. Rotors1 piece ?2 piece
R Brakes14/414/4
Steering Ratio15.5 to 1quicker ?
K BraceYesYes
Wheels9/9.59.5/10
Radiator/fans?Upgraded
Oil cooler?Aux
Diff Cooler?Yes
Drift E BrakeNoYes
The GT PP1 have the drift e brake...

infinitemberstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse - Blue Ember - MT
The chassis tuning on the DH is way better as well as the handling around corners(even with the DH non HP)
I test drove both the GT PP and the DH non HP and the DH non HP suited my driving style as well as what I plan to use the car for. Not a straight line person - itā€™s all about canyons and spirited driving around the track.

PS - the GT PP was ready to go sideways on sharp corners at a high speed whereas the DH non HP held its ground and was more predictable.
Not to forget the torque/throttle response is a lil better - could be placebo šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

if you have the extra change - buy a DH I feel, but purely depends on what you are looking for. Track/spirited drives over straight lines.

Germansheperd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hellcat Jailbreak
Buy a PP1 and put the DH tires on. You will be 99% there and you will never be able to notice the difference. The car will drive beyond your capabilities.

Awt2858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium PP, 2019 Honda CBR650R
Buy a PP1 and put the DH tires on. You will be 99% there and you will never be able to notice the difference. The car will drive beyond your capabilities.
And donā€™t forget to add a diff cooler, then youā€™re there