• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 Mustang GT versus C7 Corvette Accelertion

MyloTcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
My 2024 GT Premium w/manual and active exhaust option replaced a Corvette C7 coupe w/manual. The Corvette was rated at 455hp/455 torque. My experience with the GT so far has been that it doesn't feel as "quick" from an acceleration point of view as did the Corvette. That said, I realize the GT is heavier by roughly 700 pounds. However, I'm wondering if I'm comparing apples to oranges in one respect, in that I'm comparing the GT using normal driving mode. When I engage sport mode, it does feel more responsive. So I'm wondering which GT driving mode is the closest equivalent to a stock Corvette C7 coupe, normal, sport, or maybe track?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Yes you are comparing apples to oranges in my opinion.

Compare the viper with the corvette. Compare the mustang with camaro, challenger, and maybe even bmw 4 series.

I also donā€™t think it is fair to compare outside of same model year of car.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
My 2024 GT Premium w/manual and active exhaust option replaced a Corvette C7 coupe w/manual. The Corvette was rated at 455hp/455 torque. My experience with the GT so far has been that it doesn't feel as "quick" from an acceleration point of view as did the Corvette. That said, I realize the GT is heavier by roughly 700 pounds. However, I'm wondering if I'm comparing apples to oranges in one respect, in that I'm comparing the GT using normal driving mode. When I engage sport mode, it does feel more responsive. So I'm wondering which GT driving mode is the closest equivalent to a stock Corvette C7 coupe, normal, sport, or maybe track?
the s550 was slower than the vette.
The s650 is unfortunately no faster than the outgoing mustang. So the c7 is still faster.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse

Compare the viper with the corvette. Compare the mustang with camaro, challenger, and maybe even bmw 4 series.

personally, i disagree on Viper vs Corvette. Camaro vs Challenger vs Corvette vs Mustang sounds pretty reasonable, they're all V8 mid to high-400hp 2-door coupes. the Viper is really just in a class of its own, there's not many "performance first, comfort last" V10 coupes out there. completely agree with the "outside of the same model year" thing, things should be compared to others of their time, not of the now (unless it's time is now)

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
personally, i disagree on Viper vs Corvette. Camaro vs Challenger vs Corvette vs Mustang sounds pretty reasonable, they're all V8 mid to high-400hp 2-door coupes. the Viper is really just in a class of its own, there's not many "performance first, comfort last" V10 coupes out there. completely agree with the "outside of the same model year" thing, things should be compared to others of their time, not of the now (unless it's time is now)
Agreed. viper was always compared to the corvette by the press reviews as it was the flagship sports model from the brand. I agree that corvette viper and ford GT are all different American exotic categories. All very different.

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos

My sentiments exactly. Mustang is a muscle car, while the Corvette is really more of a sports car. Compare the Corvette to Porsche, Viper. Compare the Mustang to Camaro, Challenger.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse

Agreed that we go by the body of the car that matches! So for Corvette, we should compare it with GT40? Mustang compares to Camaro according to size and possibly the weight as well! Fair enough!

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Agreed that we go by the body of the car that matches! So for Corvette, we should compare it with GT40? Mustang compares to Camaro according to size and possibly the weight as well! Fair enough!
Personally I think Viper and Ford GT models are kind of odd balls out there that don't have much competition. Viper is pretty strange with its front engine V10 so MAYBE there is a justification to compere it to a front engine Ferrari? IDK about that one but same goes for the Ford GT. Probably best to compare that to a mid engine Ferrari or Lamborghini of similar size. With the Corvette going mid engine now I firmly believe the direct competitor we should compare the Corvette with is Porsche. Not quite sure what the best comparison model would be for the C7 Corvette. Possibly a BMW 8 series or some kind of M car / AMG car from Mercedes? Your guess is as good as mine.

cstraley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT , 24 Tundra, 2023 M240i, 23 QX80
My sentiments exactly. Mustang is a muscle car, while the Corvette is really more of a sports car. Compare the Corvette to Porsche, Viper. Compare the Mustang to Camaro, Challenger.
I always considered the Mustang GT to be a Grand Tourer or GT.

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
I couldn't agree more. Completely different cars. My Mustang is a slug compared to my 2 C7 Z06's.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Personally I think Viper and Ford GT models are kind of odd balls out there that don't have much competition. Viper is pretty strange with its front engine V10 so MAYBE there is a justification to compere it to a front engine Ferrari? IDK about that one but same goes for the Ford GT. Probably best to compare that to a mid engine Ferrari or Lamborghini of similar size. With the Corvette going mid engine now I firmly believe the direct competitor we should compare the Corvette with is Porsche. Not quite sure what the best comparison model would be for the C7 Corvette. Possibly a BMW 8 series or some kind of M car / AMG car from Mercedes? Your guess is as good as mine.
Maybe a Cobra 427 would be a good comparison for Corvette?

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
no way. The vette is in the same class as the viper, gt40, the old Supra, and ford gt.
Two seats , a fiberglass body, and just enough car to cover the engine and cockpit. Thatā€™s why theyā€™re called sports cars.

Mustang, Camaro, and challenger were all 4 seaters, bigger cars overral and more compromised in order to be more liveable. they were deemed pony cars a different class.

like it or not, the viper was dodges answer to the corvette. Fords GT was their answer to the corvette also. Thatā€™s simply how it is.
Sponsored