• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

GT Perpormance Pac versus base DH

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I will also recommend the GT PP (+magneride) for track duties over the DH. Here's my reasons:
1- No matter the car selected, the stock wheels will come off for lighter weight (flow formed or forged) 11 inch square rotatable mounted on GT4 studs.
2- I've never had the slightest issue with the MT82-D4 in over 40 hours of actual track time. That said I have driven manual cars pretty much exclusively for over 30 years so I'm gentle on gearboxes even when changing gears fast.
3- As someone else mentioned, I will upgrade diff oil and regularly change it. My car went into limp mode only once in all my track time. I would like the DH's cooler but I don't feel like I need it for HPDE.
4-Lowering springs, Magneride reprogram and camber plates: I will get exactly what I want and what was a proven track alignment and ride height on the S550 which apparently translates well to the S650.
5-I will use the money saved on the purchase price for track consumables (tires, brake pads and fluids), and more seat time, more coaching etc.
I don't think either one is a bad choice, one is pretty much turnkey, the other requires some additional prep work.
Sponsored

steyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT PP1 Rapid Red
I got to drive both a Dark Horse and GT PP. I was 100% intent on getting the Dark Horse as the dealer offered it to me for sticker, and I assumed they wouldn't let me drive it since it is a specialty Mustang. However when I went to see it the guy handed me the keys and said to take it for a spin. Both had the A10 and were Premium trims. Both cars were pretty much loaded, except the GT didn't have Magneride.

Since the car is my daily driver I really only cared about speed and comfort. In terms of speed I could tell no difference at all between the Dark Horse and GT PP (which has active exhaust so it tops out at 486hp). I believe the Dark Horse is slightly heavier than the GT so that kind of negates the 14hp difference. But in terms of speed they felt the exact same.

Comfort wise it's personal preference. Either you like the full leather seats of the GT, or the alcantera in the Dark Horse. They both felt nice. The Dark Horse for whatever odd reason doesn't come with cooled seats though which I've had in a Challenger and they're a game changer in the summer.

Dark Horse handled better than the GT. Definitely could feel the suspension upgrades on it. The exhaust was also ever so slightly louder on the Dark Horse, but not as deep as the GT's exhaust. The Dark Horse exhaust reminds me a bit of the GT350 exhaust. Steering felt good on both but the Dark Horse felt tighter.

I ended up getting the GT Performance Pack after driving both since I could use A/Z plan on it. In terms of speed and comfort which were my two main goals of the purchase the Dark Horse offered nothing over the GT, so it made sense to get the GT and save a bunch of money as it felt like a waste to get the Dark Horse for my purposes.

That being said the Dark Horse is still a cool car. If you're looking at a loaded GT Premium and can't use A/Z plan I'd spring for a Dark Horse as it's only slightly more. My GT was 60k sticker then I got almost 6k off from A plan, whereas the Dark Horse I was going to get was 67k. With A/Z plan my GT came in at 13k less than the Dark Horse.

If you're going to track the car then I'd definitely get the Dark Horse, or if you just want a non-typical Mustang.

If you're going to drag race it I'd get the GT with active exhaust since in terms of straight line speed they're pretty much neck and neck.

That's my take after driving both.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cobrakit

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
Thanks for driving comments! Was hoping to get more info on technical changes. My current ride is a 19 GT Premium, PP1 with Magneride and active exhaust. Also, I live in rural area so everyday has aggressive opportunities.

Having said all that the DH has a few features GT PP1 does not and when equipping it as close as you can to base DH, it's only about $5K cheaper.

steyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT PP1 Rapid Red
Thanks for driving comments! Was hoping to get more info on technical changes. My current ride is a 19 GT Premium, PP1 with Magneride and active exhaust. Also, I live in rural area so everyday has aggressive opportunities.

Having said all that the DH has a few features GT PP1 does not and when equipping it as close as you can to base DH, it's only about $5K cheaper.
Yeah if you can't use A/Z plan on a GT and can swing the extra few grand there is almost no reason to not just step up to a Dark Horse. If I didn't have the A/Z plan I'd have just gotten the Dark Horse. Likewise I'd have gotten the DH if the dealership didn't let me drive it and experience the fact there was no discernible speed difference between it and the GT PP1+Active Valve.
Sponsored

Last edited: