• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Front inner wheel well issues

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
I'm sure there is a reason for the hole, even Ford are not that stupid when it comes to design and there must be a reason it has changed from the S550. Could be for aero reasons, reducing wheel well pressure, as this is a known problem on all cars. There is an air curtain opening on the front of the wheel well on the S550, is that still there on the S650?
Please explain or snapshot of this “There is an air curtain opening on the front of the wheel well on the S550?”.
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Please explain or snapshot of this “There is an air curtain opening on the front of the wheel well on the S550?”.
If you look on the front part of the wheel arch of an S550 you will see a small slot that is fed with air from the front of the car. This provides a high speed feed of air to the outside of the front wheel. Quite a few cars have this now as well as the small flap in front of the wheel on the floor which is all to do with airflow management in the wheel well.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
This reminds me of the rust issue with the Challengers due to the brilliant idea of filling the area behind the doors with foam for sound deadening. The foam traps moisture and the panel rusts from the inside out. This is the reason that I could never bring myself to buy a Challenger.

Rust.JPG
A friend of mine went through this one with 2 Dodges. Dumb, dumb and dumber.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
If you look on the front part of the wheel arch of an S550 you will see a small slot that is fed with air from the front of the car. This provides a high speed feed of air to the outside of the front wheel. Quite a few cars have this now as well as the small flap in front of the wheel on the floor which is all to do with airflow management in the wheel well.
Okay, I see that you’re talking about the air dam that goes from the front to the tires then outside of the tires! That makes sense as most car do deal with the airflow with less resistances.
The holes that we are talking about Dark Horse is behind the front tires and the air goes inside the hole serves no purpose and rocks spun from the tires goes there like a pin ball machine in the insides of bottom of the car covers! And you’ll find bunch of rocks on top of the bottom covers dancing their asses off! It serves no purpose there! Not aerodynamic at all! I’ve had enough talking about this and we are hoping for improvements! That’s all! Thanks for the discussions!

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
I'm going to repost the video I did for those people who have not had the opportunity to remove the inner fender to see some of what s occurring.

If you have already seen it ignore this.

Thanks for repeating this so everyone knows!!

Brumby5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ordered S650 GT Manual Vapor Blue, Magneride
If people are worried about sealing the area totally, then may I suggest shaping some fine stainless mesh as a cover to prevent all but the smallest particles from getting in, whilst still allowing for air flow and thus helping to remove moisture build up.

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Fastback, 68 Falcon Sports Coupe
Actually even covering that opening there is still plenty open to the side, so its not sealing this are off.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
That might help so let us know what you've accomplished! Thumbs up!

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Okay, I see that you’re talking about the air dam that goes from the front to the tires then outside of the tires! That makes sense as most car do deal with the airflow with less resistances.
The holes that we are talking about Dark Horse is behind the front tires and the air goes inside the hole serves no purpose and rocks spun from the tires goes there like a pin ball machine in the insides of bottom of the car covers! And you’ll find bunch of rocks on top of the bottom covers dancing their asses off! It serves no purpose there! Not aerodynamic at all! I’ve had enough talking about this and we are hoping for improvements! That’s all! Thanks for the discussions!
It may still be aero - as in allowing wheel arch pressure to bleed out through the hole. Lets see what Job 2 brings!

DannyJ7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Premium, Carbonized Gray
So here's the best picture I could get without taking the wheel off. Looks like everything is holding up well enough for the hour it took to do it all.
S650 Mustang Front inner wheel well issues PXL_20240112_141645439

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
So here's the best picture I could get without taking the wheel off. Looks like everything is holding up well enough for the hour it took to do it all.
PXL_20240112_141645439.jpg
What did you use? Tape? Brand tape?

DannyJ7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Premium, Carbonized Gray
What did you use? Tape? Brand tape?
Kydex and rivets. Kydex does take very well to heat for form manipulation. I do not think this is a permanent fix, it'll certainly do for a while, but I will be replacing the entire well liner once we actually figure out wtf ford was thinking.

Kydex
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09V24QVFD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rivets
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083JY27BF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rivet gun
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083S9LMLH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored